X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Next try. What place is this?

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

A dying forest somewhere where nobody clear the dead trees but spend time building steps to get around.

Comment

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        This forest is not dying. Something else happened here.

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like the tsunami effect on a forest - skins the trees clean as a whistle and they never recover, but seedlings can appear, given time. Fire can do the same, but somehow I'm guessing tsunami. Possibly BC, somewhere around Port Alberni on Vancouver Is.? Following the Alaskan quake in the 70s?

It seems to be a hiking trail.Am I right?
      Somewhere in Tchecoslovakia/Poland?

Comment

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        Trail yes, but i would not say for hiking. Not in CZ / PL.

Could be this one?: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiXpp-i442s

Comment

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting guess. I did not know about that incident. No, not here, although the damages look similar. But it is the wrong place and also the wrong time. After more than 100 years, even a Sibirean forest grew up again.

• yvneac
        yvneac commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes gripping story.I had never heard of it before.

Don't know why but I still think we are in Europe.In a national(state administration) forrest.What do you think Ralf?

Comment

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        He don't have to think, he KNOWS, but is not going to tell us.

There is still something "Russian" about that walkway construction me think.
      Anybody else would have cut the dead trees to clear the path.
      Or could it be that the fallen trees are preserved the way they fell for a reason?
      Memory of a big storm, or some such maybe??

Comment

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment
        A lot of further guesses and some are indeed right.

Yes Europe, but not Russia.
        Yes, state forest. Nowadays even part of a national park, but not from the beginning on.
        Yes, memory of a big storm.

You are on a good trail!!

Additional Clue:
      Yes Europe, but not Russia. West of Russia, Poland, Czech Republic.
      Yes, state forest. Nowadays even part of a national park, but not from the beginning on.
      Yes, memory of a big storm.

You are on a good trail!!

Comment

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        Northern Germany?

It is Germany, but not in the North.

Comment

I think I got it; Kyrill Pfad in Schmallenberg - Schanze, Sauerland.
        http://www.schmallenberger-sauerland...e/kyrill-pfad/

Comment

Sorry for the delay, i was out for the weekend. It is a close guess, but not the right one. It is not Kyrill, what was the reason for the searched trail and it is not in the Sauerland. It is further South.

Comment

No puzzlers around anymore? We are looking for a footpath/trail in a National Park in Southern Germany, remembering a heavy storm. That is not too tricky!!

Comment

• ombugge
              ombugge commented
              Editing a comment
              Should we just follow the path of Kyrill to the south, or was it a different storm?

No, as i mentioned in #5290, it was not Kyrill. You will not find the area, if you will look for the Kyrill destructions.

Comment

It's the Lothar path, near Mount Schliffkopt mountain, 20 Km from Freudenstoolt. Hurricane Lothar passed over the area in 1999 and wreaked so much damage. See http://www.black-forest-travel.com/h...thar-path.html
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

That is correct. The authorities decided that 1 hectare should remain untouched after the storm, while the surrounding areas had been cleaned up and treated like a commercial forest. The path leads through this hectare. The surprising result was, that the nature grew up much faster in here. The variety of plants is incredible, much plants appeared new which had not been there for ages. Since 2014 the area is part of the new National Park North Black Forest. You can see on the pictures the difference between 2000 and 2014.

During the storm my parents in law stayed in their cottage in a village nearby. All roads were blocked and the electricity failed. All people had to meet in houses, where they have wood fired ovens. All modern heatings need electricity to run and these houses got cold, because that was in winter. It took a week, until normal life was possible again. A lot of new friendships started in these days of community life.

Over to you, Ivy.

Comment

You say, Ralf, that "The surprising result was, that the nature grew up much faster in here. The variety of plants is incredible, much plants appeared new which had not been there for ages." I have read of this kind of thing happening in wooded areas after a storm or even fire has devastated it. With the removal of the dense canopy, light can penetrate to the ground where seeds may have lain dormant for many years and which now spring to life.
                  Was that the same beautiful little cottage that you took me to see, Ralf?
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Ralf__
                    Ralf__ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes, they went there on the 25th of December and one day later the storm came. Some people tried to drive home and had to stop in the middle of the forest, while the trees fell around. Fortunately no one of that village was injured. But there were numerous victims in other places.
                    We were at that time in Bavaria, where the storm was not severe. We called neighbours to look after our abandoned homes in Stuttgart and luckily there were no damages.
                Working...
                X