No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must agree to Nichu. After watching more than 1.200 pictures of oil rigs (never thought i would do that ever in my life) i could not find any rig, which could be more similar.

Further i have the opinion that she is towed somewhere in that picture. Are you sure that this is a static position there. Now she is listed offshore in the North Sea. I found a picture with a similar angle. Should be the same rig.

When was this picture taken? Do you have confirmed information about your picture? There are often mixed up picture informations.

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Picture taken 08.12.2009 at 3:41 PM by a phone camera. That should be a hint in itself.

OK, I could be wrong on the rig name, which was not fact checked. (Just like the Daily Show)

Ralf, you must now know more about the look of Semi-submersible drilling rigs then anybody else, at least in Southern Germany. 1200 pics of rigs in a short time must be a world record of sort.

Comment

Well with that hint i would suppose that the picture was taken by yourself in Alesund. Haven't you been at home last December? Transocean Arctic could have been on their way from a shipyard (f.e. Fjell near Bergen) back to the oil fields:

Information by Nordhagen....

Transocean Arctic 2009
        Nordhagen Prosjects AS is managing the Transocean Arctic project 2009. Transocean Arctic will undergo a special periodic survey to requirements by the class authority DNV. Planned to start in August/September 2009. Nordhagen Management has key personnel in addition to project management system in this project.

The access to the internet data base is even possible in South Germany.

Here are two very informative pages:
        www.shipspotting.com (991 pictures of Drilling Rigs/Platforms)
        www.rigzone.com (advanced offshore rig search) (221 semisub rigs listed)

Comment

I did not imply that you didn't have Internet in Southern Germany, only that you would probably be the only one from there that would spend hours looking at Drilling Rig pictures on the net.

I arrived in Aalesund 22. Dec. 2009 and claim no credit for this picture. It was sent to me by one of my sons.

I will admit that you are getting close enough to declare you as the winner, whether Transocean Arctic is the rig or not:

The picture was taken from the ferry wharf at Hareide while he was sitting in his truck waiting for the ferry back to Sulesund and he sent it to me by MMS.

Here is another picture, taken earlier and probably from a different location:

Maybe easier to identify the rig in daylight?

And to prove that there are some in the family who has the artistic touch, here is another picture taken from the ferry wharf in Hareide by the same son:

It is back to you again Ralf!!!

PS> Maybe Sterkoder wants to weigh in here and test his AIS tool's ability to positively identify the rig, based on exact location, time and date??
          Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 17:15.

Comment

The daylight picture confirms my opinion. But maybe really someone can find out more. What was your suggestion about the rig?

O.K. Let's post the next one. I hope, now difficult enough. I am out during the next days but from time to time i have internet access and will check your effords.

Strange wheelhouse. Where is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
              The daylight picture confirms my opinion. But maybe really someone can find out more. What was your suggestion about the rig?

O.K. Let's post the next one. I hope, now difficult enough. I am out during the next days but from time to time i have internet access and will check your effords.

Strange wheelhouse. Where is it?

A "ski lift" somewhere. But where I'm not able to see anything that identify where it may be.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                Let us stay at high latitudes.

Where in the world is this???

It is amazing where oil and gas can be found, isn't it???

I knew it! Before I scrolled down to the solution. This fjordscape, this molo and these two ferries to the left; can't be anywhere else that Hareid - Sulesund, seen from Hareid. And I was right!
                Last edited by Sigve; September 17th, 2010, 22:10.
                Regards; Sigve.
                ---
                IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Very good, Sigve!

And Ombugge, it is not a Ski Lift. And there are some clues in the picture, if you look closely...

I think i might wait for some other guesses until i give more help...

Comment

the shield laguage look like something from east europe
                    Czech Republic or romania
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

Yes the sign is one of the clues...

Comment

Several Z-s on the sign make me think of Poland.

About the rig near Ålesund:

I can see in EFS-Notice to Mariners that the "Jack Bates" has been in approx. this position.
                        But not updated since 2004.

A picture of her in northern Scotland is from 2007, and according to Transocean, she is now in Australia.
                        (Her hull painted light gray)

http://www.statkart.no/efs/plattformer.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                          Very good, Sigve!

And Ombugge, it is not a Ski Lift. And there are some clues in the picture, if you look closely...

I think i might wait for some other guesses until i give more help...
                          The word SKI after the long Czech looking word lead me to believe it would be a "Ski Lift", but maybe "Chair Lift" would be a better description??

As for the place I'm still blank.

Comment

Originally posted by Nichu View Post
                            About the rig near Ålesund:
                            I can see in EFS-Notice to Mariners that the "Jack Bates" has been in approx. this position. But not updated since 2004.

A picture of her in northern Scotland is from 2007, and according to Transocean, she is now in Australia. (Her hull painted light gray)
                            The Jack Bates was in this same position to remove thrusters before being loaded on a HLC for Australia, but that was some years ago. (2007/08)

Comment

Ombugge, "chair lift" is indeed a better description. The ending "-ski" is very common and used for many many words, so no clue at all.

Nichu was really near with Poland, but Janihudi mentioned the right country as he suggested Czech Republik or Romania...

Now you know, what it is and where it is...
                              So you have made a big step towards the solution, i think...

Comment

OK, here is my guess; Horní Mísečky Ski Resort in Czech republic.
                                I don't know why, but it sounds like a nice place.

Comment

Working...
                                X