Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In Asia YES, Phuket NO.

Comment

Can't find any clue.Maybe we are in your own town Ombugge (I mean Singapore, not Aalesund!)?
      Another question:what is the number in the front door,1316 or 1916?

Comment

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        Not Singapore, although the style of this shop house from 1916 is very similar to those in Singapore at the same time.

• nari
        nari commented
        Editing a comment
        Old Shanghai??

Not Shanghai, old or new. You travel too far and wide here.
      Last edited by ombugge; January 11th, 2016, 17:57.

Comment

I can't find the one showed on your picture but I saw some similar in Georgetown, Penang.
        https://www.flickr.com/photos/mikesharp/6242643545

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
          Another question:what is the number in the front door,1316 or 1916?
          That''s interesting, Yves, because I read it as 1916 and immediately wondered whether it commemorated an important event that year. After trawling through pages of happenings without finding anything that might seem relevant I gave up. Then I saw Nari's comment on 1316 and decided I was barking up the wrong tree.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Not Penang, but you are closing in. British colonial history should guide you to the right place.

Comment

If it is what is called TONG LAU (tenement building) I suggest Hong Kong,maybe in Shanghai street.....

Comment

You are moving further away from the place. Not Hong Kong. Shanghai street doesn't have many tenement buildings left. Famous for street food though. Snake soup is popular at this time of the year.

Comment

• ombugge
                  ombugge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry, Shanghai Street is famous for Kitchen wear while the area around it in Mong Kok has several famous food streets.

So must I look for in Malaysia?

Comment

• nari
                  nari commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Brunei in the British days - or Kuala Lumpur......

Jalan Petaling Kuala Lumpur ?

Comment

Malaysia YES, KL NO. Brunei has some townhouses of this type, mainly in KB and Lutong, which was largely Chinese towns in British colonial days.

Comment

I had a look to the first settlements of British empire but without
                    success.
                    Othe try: Main bazaar at Kuching.

Comment

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Kuching (The City of Cats) is another town with a lot of Chinese townhouses and a large Chinese population still.
                      But this particular townhouse is not there.

Nobody trying anymore?
                    It has been established that we are in Malaysia and that we are looking at a typical Chinese townhouse from the early part of last century, when Malaya, Singapore, Sarawak and North Borneo were British colonies. Large number of Chinese emigrated from the southern provinces to settle in the booming British settlements in S.E.Asia.
                    Similar town/shop houses exist in all towns in Malaysia, but this one has an exceptional number of well preserved houses from that period and even older.

Comment

OK It is a renovated Chinese house in which you spent New Year Eve in 2015.See world hotel room views thread.
                      It is located in Malacca.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                        OK It is a renovated Chinese house in which you spent New Year Eve in 2015.See world hotel room views thread.
                        It is located in Malacca.

It certainly is!! Very typical of town houses from the pre-war period in what was then the British colonies of Singapore and Malaya.
                        Not many left in Singapore, but Malacca has quite a few that has been restored to this standard.

Malacca info for you: http://www.malacca.ws/#promo

Then it is back to you Yves.

Comment

Working...
                        X