No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is by Robert Tatin, and is to be found on the edge of the Mayenne Woods, near Laval. Much interesting information at http://rawvision.com/articles/robert-tatin
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      Good. Now we may get back to something I have time to look at at least, before it is solved.
      Congrat to Ivy again.

Spot on Ivy.It was not an easy one.
    Here is a link about his museum (in French only)
    http://www.musee-robert-tatin.fr/

Comment

Thank you, Ombugge and Yves.
      Yves, from the description in my link you must have had a deeply fascinating time viewing all that Robert Tatin had constructed. So much to ponder over.
      Ombugge, this next puzzle is especially for you!

???Where???

Photographer: Sergfokin.
      Last edited by wherrygirl; November 7th, 2015, 19:40.
      Ivy

Comment

Chinatown Gate, Victoria, British Colombia?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinatown,_Victoria
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

That took you all of 3 hours, Mark! What kept you? Commiserations, Ombugge.
          In future I'll just have to remember to do a trial search before deciding to post a puzzle, I never dreamed there were so many Chinatown's.
          Well done, anyway, and the baton is handed to you, Mark.
          Ivy

Comment

• ombugge
            ombugge commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't get to see that one before it was solved either,
            Nearly every city of any size have a Chinatown, the smaller ones on a few Chinese restaurants.
            Every little tow in Norway seams to have at least one.

There had been quite an interesting programme on the TV this week about crossing Canada on the Canadian Pacific - including the Rocky Mountaineer. Looked wonderful. That's why Vancouver was at the top of what passes for my mind!

Will try to come up with something shortly. Mine always seem to be easy for the rest of you.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

This is probably too easy, but I quite liked the photograph.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Not easy for me... but, to start off in one end.. is that ship the "Queen Mary" which was recently "saved"?
              With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Hi J-O. No Queens in this photo. Some lovely old ships - and indeed cranes though!

I do see what you mean though, especially looking at some of the photos on www.tsqueenmary.org.uk
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I'm pretty sure this is in Bristol. but I'm not sure exactly which dock or exactly where.
                  Ivy

Comment

'Brizzle' it is. Think you're going to have to be a bit more specific! Helpful hint - it's near the harbour.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Yes, it's in the floating harbour, near M shed. Tucked away behind the foreground vessel is the John King, a diesel tug used to tow ships from Bristol to Avonmouth until she retired in 1976. Now she does trips round the harbour. (My father would have loved that!). In the distance is the replica Matthew, John Cabot's ship. Many apologies - I can't ID the vessel in the foreground because you've painted out the name.
                      Ivy

Comment

Strange, I made sure to refresh twice before I posted my last reply, yet your post wasn't there. I have only now seen it via the Index page list at the right.
                        Ivy

Comment

Spot on Ivy.

It's Balmoral on the left. http://www.heritagesteamers.co.uk/balmoral/

Here's the unadulterated version - several ships had to become anonymous and signs disappear before I could use that photo.

The museum in the M Shed is fantastic - everything from the dodgier bits of Bristol's past, through to the Bristol Aircraft Company and today's thriving digital arts (not to be confused with dark arts) industry led by Aardman (Wallace & Gromit, Shaun) and others.

Over to you again.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I have been to Bristol once, in the mid 80's and it's nothing like I remember it...
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• PoloUK
                              PoloUK commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Yes indeed, a lot of money has been spent on many of the British towns over the past 30 or 40 years. Central Bristol is very interesting and the waterfront is very attractive. There are still some much rougher areas though!
                          Working...
                          X