No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i had used the tags on google as chain driven ferry electric motor germany.
    totally nothing that leads me to the answer.
    when you said 100km fron stuttgart i added donau to the taggs.
    nothing.
    untill ombugge came with neckar.
    to google earth go to stuttgart and choose to go streamdownworths.
    had to go far for i find it,ah images, look at the images and saw the image you use for the question.
    but wouldn´d find it without ombugges tip;neckar.

an easy one:
    where is this lock and what is special about it.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Not so easy, but solved quickly. You stayed at home, Thijs!

This is the Waaiersluis "Wilhelminasluis" in Andel or Giessen in the Netherlands!

I don't find any German or English explanation for Waaiersluis, and when we Germans try to read Netherlands, we understand just half of it. I understood, that a Waaersluis will close automatically if there is too much current pushing inside. This is a mechanic principle and was invented by Jan Blanken more than 200 years ago. Something very specific for the Netherlands, i don't think there are Waaiersluizes anywhere else in the world...

I will post a new puzzle tomorrow. Feel free and post some more information about these locks. Very interesting!!!
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

yep i told it was easy,diddn´t tought that i solved you´re puzzle,
        so had to find a new puzzle,but i thought that wil last a day for solving it.

don´t know the word eather for waaierdeur,but i ry to explane.
        a waaier is lika a fan,or like the windblower.
        maybe you know the british comedy "ain´t half hot mom",there was a indian guy outside the captains office who was pulling a cord so in the office a windblower moves,the guy who allways talking indonesian excapt the last 2 words.the britsh members will know him,well that thing in the office is what we call a waaier.so hopefully they can give a good explanation for it.

a waaierdoor can close the locks by high or low water against the stream.

waaiersluis

mostly fur inundation purposes used lock,that has a under a 90 degrees corner a fanshape door with each other connected door with differend measurements;this construction gifs the oppurtunity to open or close the door against the waterstream trough hydrostatic pressuredifferents with help of circulation sewers and valves.besides the wood is there nothing else to see then on every other lock,al the 4 doors are the same type

the wood on the image is the decking for the doors under are rotating.
        i´m looking streamdownworths,from my back was coming the floods from belgium of the river maas and in front of me was the floods from germany from the river waal.
        after flooding our region they disided to dig a canal to sea and build a dam in the river maas,with a lock,the "wilhelmina lock".
        on the dam is placed a monument

18 august 1904
        is this stone revealed by
        HER MAJESTY
        QUEEN WILHELMINA
        in attendance of
        his royal highness
        of prince of the netherlands
        DUKE OF MECKLENBURG
        in remembrance of the separation
        of Maas and Waal

low of 26 januari 1883

Gazette nr. 4

so they dig the canal,build a dam in the river maas and i had to live on a island,well island,when the highwater comes again,more then they can handle,they let overflood the esland where i live on and turn in to a lake.
        and yes it´s close to my home 5a600 meters in a straight line.
        what made it so easy for you ralf?
        Last edited by janihudi; September 14th, 2010, 19:29.
        best regards Thijs

Comment

As i wrote, it was not that easy, but quick. I had to browse through a lot of pages in the web. My first view told me that it must be in the Netherlands, because of the typical houses with the red bricks, ship, cars and so on. Next observation was, that the lock has no walls, so it could not be a usual lock. After some googling for extraordinary locks i found a picture showing the typical doors with the wooden covers. Now the type of lock was identified. Reading the article on wikipedia.nl was the next step. There all these locks are listed, watching these places on Google Earth did lead me quickly to your place.

Now i have to think about the next puzzle.

Comment

O.K. Let's try this one. Where is this?

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
              O.K. Let's try this one. Where is this?

Immediate guess; Dutch Harbour, Aleutians, Alaska?

Comment

mine first guess to.
                it looks like the first big vessel on the left is the wizard.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

O.K. That was too easy. Seems a lot of people are looking these "fish stories". Up to you Ombugge!!!

Comment

it is unalsaka at dutch harbour.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                      O.K. That was too easy. Seems a lot of people are looking these "fish stories". Up to you Ombugge!!!
                      The fishing boats are very typical American and the landscape is typical high latitude. Since I have an interest in fisheries and Dutch Harbour is a well known fishing port, this was too easy, as you say.

I'll have to take some time to come up with something a little more difficult.
                      Let me see what I have, or can find on the net.

Comment

Let us stay at high latitudes.

Where in the world is this???

It is amazing where oil and gas can be found, isn't it???
                        Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 17:15.

Comment

My first guess goes to Greenland?

Comment

I believe that the rig is the "Transocean Arctic",
                            and guess that the location is Hammerfest.

Comment

No, not at Greenland and not near Hammerfest and Transocean Arctic, but on the right side of the world.

Bonus point for rig name though, if anybody can get that as well.

Comment

Not the TO Arctic..
                                Four columns and (M) bracings - can't think of any other rig like this.
                                What about its former name of "Ross Rig" ?
                                Another location guess: Near Sandnessjøen?

Comment

Working...
                                X