No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

© Skulpturen står festa i ein solid betongfot på Andaneset, like ved ferjestøa.
    I don't understand, Sigve.
    I know absolutely no Norwegian, and very little about Norway so am at the mercy of what is shown on the websites and Google for translation.
    The picture caption says "på Andaneset".
    The article's text says

Heksemonumentet på Anda
    Søndag 10. juni 2002 vart det avduka ein skulptur på Anda til minne om hekseforfølgjingane. Minnesmerket, som har tittelen Heksemonumentet, er laga av Stig Eikaas. Torsdag 5. juni 2003 var det ny avduking på Anda, denne gongen av ei minneplate som er ein del av Heksemonumentet.

Wiki describes Anda as "Anden or Anda is a small island in the municipality of Øksnes in Nordland county, Norway. It lies in the Vesterålen archipelago, about 5 kilometres (3.1 mi) north of the village of Stø on the northern tip of the large island of Langøya, and about 14 kilometres (8.7 mi) west of the large island of Andøya."
    Mapcarta.com says "Andeneset is a point in Møre og Romsdal, Norway, nearby to Juliaberget, Dryparfjellet and Lægda."

So why does the article talk of both places?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

In this case, Wiki leads you astray. There are Anda's many places in Norway. This actual Anda is located to Nordfjord, east of Måløy, the one end of the ferry Lote-Anda connection. On this place, with a great view both east and west, probably one of the nicest viewpoints of Nordfjord, they chose the place to burn their witches.

Anyway - next puzzle is yours.
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---
      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

Thanks for the clarification and map, Sigve. Wiki missed a chance to bring in its favouurite word - disambiguation with all those Anda's! But I should have guessed that was the answer.
        Ivy

Comment

Next puzzle. What and where might this be? The people would just be tourists, but they help with scale.

Photographer: Luis Miguel Bugallo Sánchez
          Last edited by wherrygirl; November 5th, 2015, 00:40.
          Ivy

Comment

I think his is the great ball court of the Chichen Itza at the mouth of the well of the Itza, a large pre-Columbian city built by the Maya people of the Terminal Classic period. The archaeological site is located in Tinúm Municipality, Yucatán State, Mexico.
            Regards; Sigve.
            ---

Comment

Sigve! I spent ages searching for something to puzzle you - and you have it already! Well done. Back to you again. Great it is - 166m long by 68m. with walls 12 m. high.
              Ivy

Comment

• Sigve
                Sigve commented
                Editing a comment
                Well, I just searched Google for "Maya temple", and on the first try, there it was. Good luck for me.....

Next puzzle:
              What is this, and where is it?

Regards; Sigve.
              ---

Comment

Not sure but it could be in Torpo Norway.Here there is a stavkirke near another church.(photo in the thread Back to Norway 1981, in Kingdom of Norway)

Comment

• Sigve
                  Sigve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You hit it! 51 minutes! You next!

• ombugge
                  ombugge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't even get to SEE the puzzles before you guys solve them. Well done.

A new puzzle to enjoy your day.

Comment

• ombugge
                  ombugge commented
                  Editing a comment
                  He doesn't look very friendly. French???

Heck! I hoped you will search somewhere in an obscure region of Amazonia or so....
                But yes Ombugge this glorius thing is French.

Comment

There is a Yin Yang mark on the object --- which makes me guess we are in China (to narrow it down a bit).
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

No JO.As suggest Ombugge we are in France....amazingly.

Comment

This seems to be some kind of representation of multi religious beliefs. Apart from the yin/yang symbol there is the symbolic two-finger and thumb sign of a blessing as used in the Christian church, particularly the Roman Catholic. And is that the Minotaur? Then there is the dice. I'm wondering whether this is some kind of ironic comment on the multiplicity of beliefs in the world and the ensuing troubles.
                      PS, is that a lotus flower on the wall to the right?
                      Ivy

Comment

Is this an entrance to, or within, a sculpture park?
                        Ivy

Comment

Don't think it is ironic since the artist was spiritualist and pantheist.This statue is not the Minotaur but a dragoon which sybolized the guardian (protector) of human knowledges.But this is not a clue I guess.
                          It can help you to know that the French "Art Brut" is called in English:Outsider Art or Outsider Environment.

PS: No idea about the flower;it is possible.

Comment

Working...
                          X