No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ivy.Italy is not the right place,you went down too much.No policemen there.
    Ombugge.Not a palace of justice,but there is a connection with law and rights.

Comment

Well, since Italy I have been wondering about Belgium, there is a similarity in the style of some buildings that I've seen amongst the images.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Sorry Ivy.Not Belgium.

Comment

Yves, you are not a bit sorry - I can see you there, chortling away and rubbing your hands with glee.
          I need to recap on all the things that this building is/is not:

It is definitely in Europe (that cuts out the UK )
          It is not France, Belgium, Denmark or Italy though it is south of the penultimate country while north of the last one.
          Was once a luxury hotel, then a palace, then nothing for a while and is now an important place.
          Not connected with a place of education
          Not a museum.
          Not a parliament building, though it is a civic building in the broad sense. Also it is and was of great political importance.
          Not a court or police building of any kind although there is a connection with Justice, law and rights.

THINKS????
          Ivy

Comment

Could this be Palais Wilson in Geneva, Switzerland. The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights has its offices here, formerly home to the League of Nations.

Comment

You're right, Ombugge, well done. I've just this minute been trawling through UN buildings but it didn't come up with that!
              Ivy

Comment

Dans le mille (you were bang on target)Ombugge.
                Known as Hotel National,it became the Société Des Nations head office from 1920 to 1936.It was given the name of Woodrow Wilson even though the United States didn't join it.
                Since 1998,it houses the UNHC for Human Rights.
                Let's see your next brain-teaser.

Comment

After Ivy had put up an assembly of that was known and what was not it dawned on me that by combining some search words from that, the answer may be given.

OK, next puzzle is is beautiful sunset:

Where in the wide world can you find this place?

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    After Ivy had put up an assembly of that was known and what was not it dawned on me that by combining some search words from that, the answer may be given.
                    That settles it, young man! Next time I keep my thoughts to myself,
                    Godness, Ralf complained about my rotten puzzle pic., but the possibly helpful detail in this one is almost impossible to see in the semi-darkness. COMPLAINT!
                    Ivy

Comment

So. A lake/sea inlet. Moderate steady breeze. Houses along the right shore backed by a hill. Flat roofed building further along. Approaching ship a bit further on still, probably a ferry. Distant mountains towards the left. Man taking photo from the quayside, probably a junior Ombugge. Behind him an unused/abandoned looking 3-storey building. Behind that a tree-clad hill at the top of which are more but indecipherable buildings.
                      Google - are you listening?
                      Ivy

Comment

Northern hemisphere? In fact northern Europe?
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Such a beautiful sunset you can find only one place in the world - Ålesund. You can see the mountain Sukkertoppen to the left, and the silhuette of Godøy in the background. To the right you have the small mountain Aksla, and you can even see the silhuette of the infamous building Town Hall/Kremmergården in the middle of the picture, which possibly is taken from Nørvasundet somewhere? Or maybe Volsdalsberga? Northern hemisphere, definitely.
                          Last edited by Sigve; October 30th, 2015, 18:38.
                          Regards; Sigve.
                          ---
                          IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• ombugge
                            ombugge commented
                            Editing a comment
                            From Slinnigsodden, next to Slinningsbua.
                            Congrat. It didn't take long for an old Aalesund boy to see that.

Which ship is on the cruise berth Ombugge? (If I've got my bearings right).
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Sigve
                            Sigve commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I don't think there is only one ship, in my opinion there are two.

• ombugge
                            ombugge commented
                            Editing a comment
                            I think you are right, two ships. I don't know when he took this picture but from where (betw. Godoy and Giske) the sun is setting it may have been some time ago.
                            Then again, what is Hurtigruten doing in Aalesund at sunset, unless this is second call of the day? In which case she must have been delayed.
                            You got me intrigued. I'll remember to ask when I talk to him next.
                            Last edited by ombugge; November 1st, 2015, 11:16.

• ombugge
                            ombugge commented
                            Editing a comment
                            My son couldn't remember which hurtigrute, but picture was take at 2100 hrs. 01. Sept.
                            What Hurtigruten was doing there at that time I don't know, but I'm sure somebody will be able to dig that up to.

I must confess that I'm not good at posting puzzles, I have no idea if something is easy or difficult, and especially not since our CVF friends are familiar with so much of the world. However, I think that none of you have seen the monument on this picture, but I also think that you will find out, pretty soon.

Regards; Sigve.
                          ---
                          IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

This is the monument at Anda, Øksnes in Nordland, commemorating those killed in the witch hunts. See http://www.sffarkiv.no/sffbasar/prin...1&ptype=single
                            Ivy

Comment

• Sigve
                              Sigve commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I knew it! Nobody kan deceive an old master of the trade. The monument is correct, but you have placed it far too north. If you make another try, I'm sure you will find the exact location.
                          Working...
                          X