No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pauline is in the sanitary disposal unit room of whichever ship it is. Or if not actual disposal, then preparation for so doing.(A woman's answer, of course - I'll get you one day, Ralf Plinta )
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

If the text is in Danish, then perhaps it is the MS Stavangerfjord en route from Hirtshals to Bergen.
      Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
        yvneac commented
        Editing a comment
        It is what I guess as a new suggestion.Maybe somewhere around the car deck.

Yves is right with his suggestion, even if that is Danish. To find out why it's Danish would be a man's answer. This is not required for female puzzlers...
      It is no disposal room, however. We need now good experts of the Hurtigruten ships! Go ahead, Yves!
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Well, is this place inside the ship or in the continuation of a outside deck?

Comment

Very good question, Ives. Do you have already an idea? Yes it is accessible from or the continuation of an outside deck.

Comment

Not yet.I just thought that the photographer was outside when Pauline was in a kind of hollow. I'm looking at the deck plans of the ship but I'm currently without answer.Think Ombugge will find the solution before me!

Comment

Ha!Another question.Does Pauline look at something "special" or strange.Something we can't see on another ship?

Comment

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                No, surely not. Everything is just standard equipment there. At least for that kind of ship. No further Danish secrets here...

The sign on the fire flap says "Sanitaerrom", which mean "Sewage Treatment Room". This is thus the ventilation to or from that compartment. (If the last I assume she was not enjoying the smell)

Where on the ship?? As I cannot find a GA-plan I wouldn't know where the Sewage Treatment room is placed, but my guess is at tank top level forward. Maybe in the Bow thruster compartment, or thereabouts??

On pictures you can see some side openings at both ends of the vessel. The deck at this level MAY be accessible to passengers. In that case I guess she is on Stbd side forward of the side openings and just aft of the Forecastle mooring deck.

I don't know what she may be looking at, but maybe some birds had found a nice cosy place to make their nest??

Comment

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                Starboard side forward is a very good guess. The suggested deck level is wrong. We also still have the choice between two ships.
                And - to please Ivy - the Danish connection is explained by frequent visits of most of the HRG ships to the Fredericia shipsyard for mechanical overhaulings.
                Pauline is not looking at anything of a particular meaning.

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment
                If this on board Stavangerfjord or Bergensfjord they are both in the Danish International registry and registered in Hirtshals.

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                Ombugge, you are reading too quick. We are actually aboard a Hurtigruten ship - either Lofoten or Vesteralen.

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
              The sign on the fire flap says "Sanitaerrom", which mean "Sewage Treatment Room". This is thus the ventilation to or from that compartment. (If the last I assume she was not enjoying the smell)
              Which, after a bit of translation to get an exact meaning, is exactly why I suggested that it was the sanitary (i.e. sewage) unit disposal room, or at least preparation for it. But Ralf said it was no disposal room. He did not answer my alternative of "preparation for", i.e. treatment. Nor did he remotely suggest that I was on the right lines.
              Neither has he confirmed or denied Ombugge's suggestion in his first sentence
              Can we have clarification?
              Ivy

Comment

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                Keep cool and collect the facts. You are not too far away.
                There is the choice between two Hurtigruten ships.
                We see a ventilation unit, i have doubts if the sign, written in Danish on a Norwegian ship is correct there.
                The next restroom is quite a bit away from there and we can not confirm a bad smell at this place.

No disposal or preparation for disposal near there, Ivy you're completely wrong with that suggestion.
                It is far away from the units you suggested.
                It is front starbord, but not the deck level Ombugge suggested.

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment
                Sewage Treatment Room is not the same as Rest Room, it is where the Sewage Treatment Plant is situated.
                What is a Sewage Treatment Plant?? Here is a simple explanation: http://www.marineinsight.com/tech/au...eatment-plant/
                (I must have posted pictures of these contraptions on a number of vessels in the Details of ships thread)

All ships over 300 GT is required to have one, even if the crew is only 5-7 pers. and even while sailing in wide open oceans, or along a coast where untreated sewer from thousands (if not millions) of people goes directly into rivers or the sea.

All ships in Hurtigruten has one or more plants, dimensioned to handle handle "Black Water" being produced at max. passenger load.
                All you see on the picture is the termination of the ventilation duct to or from the Sewage Treatment space and the Fire Flap to close it in case of fire.

That the identification is in Danish on a Norwegian ship is a bit surprising, as NMD rules require Norwegian and/or English, or language neutral signage on Norwegian flag ships, incl. NIS registered vessel with no Norwegians on board. I presume, since there is a pictogram, this sign is accepted as the latter.

I obviously didn't read the previous post enough, since I didn't see your your mentioning of of HRG. Maybe you didn't either, since you didn't correct me when I stated that it could not be Lofoten or Vesteraalen due to the Danish signage. (Post # 5025)

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                The problem is, if posts arrive at the same time. I confirmed Yves suggestion in #5025 with my answer in #5027, which would have been a clear sign that you were wrong. Yves commented at the same time #5026, givin a new suggestion. So my confirmation suddenly went to #5026 instead of #2025.
                I did not notice that, which caused some confusion. Sorry.

This really looks like the "half deck ship" Vesterålen, never been on board.
              Just a wild guess, beneath the starboard bridge wing?

Comment

This any help?

Of course if it's not on decks D, E or F of VÅ then it won't be!
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Great, Tommi. You nailed it, warm air is coming up here from the restaurant and the fron panorama salon. A nice place on deck F with a forward view around the bridge wing with a "deck heating".
                  I will post a picture tomorrow to show you the access to this place. I have the picture on my office PC. Over to you, dear friend!

This is backboard. Here is no ventilation. The access is beside the stairs to the bridge.

Last edited by Ralf__; October 16th, 2015, 11:07.

Comment

So, now we're over to something completely different.
                    No, it's not a Instagram picture, it's just old. The picture was taken by my parents for quite a while ago, but the place still looks pretty much the same.

Comment

Is this tower located in Sweden or Finland?

Comment

• Tommi
                        Tommi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes it is!

Probably not in Scandinavia, but I have a nagging feeling I have "seen" this one somewhere, whether in real life or otherwise.
                      While I try to remember, a few questions; what is it used for??
                      I can think of at least four options; Air traffic Control Tower, Seaport / Marine Traffic Control Tower, Observation Tower or Revolving Restaurant.
                      What say thou, Tommi??

Comment

• Tommi
                        Tommi commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I think the main reason to build it was as a communications tower, but it's probably more well known due to other reasons.
                    Working...
                    X