No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just to please me : Scotland, the antic mine of Cairnpapple. Well it is Monday,I'm a bit tired....

Comment

My dear Yves, if this is what you come up with when you're tired, we'd better stand by for when you wake up! It is not Scotland, but you are so near. Also the mines there were silver. I'd never heard of the Cairnpapple site, it looks very interesting with a mound that reminds me of our Silbury Hill, down in Wiltshire.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Are we somewhere in the Lake District???

Comment

The Mona and Parys copper mines on Parys Mountain about two miles south of Amlwch in Anglesey?
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Someone's been scouring the countryside! Not the Lake District, but Ralf is right with the Parys Mountain copper mine in Anglesey. So just ID the structure in the centre and you have it all.
            Ivy

Comment

"So just" is not easy, Lady! I've now searched through all Pary's mountain related internet pages and picture galleries and am not able to find exactly that building. Do you have a historic picture and the building is just not there anymore?
              So there are at least two possibilities: it is the top of a mine shaft or ist is a pump building. They needed to pump water out of the mine to be able to work down there.

Comment

• yvneac
                yvneac commented
                Editing a comment
                Not easy at all.I confirm.

BIG HINT. The building, or structure I think would be more appropriate, certainly ought to be there still. The photo was taken 11 March, 2009. I think Ralf's first suggestion is correct, so the next question is whether the mine is still being worked? If not, what do you have to do? It's pretty obvious, really, I wouldn't ask you for something obscure, now, would I ?
              Ivy

Comment

There are plans to start mine working again.
                Anglesey Mining plc has permits and a plan to restart mining operations at 350,000 tonnes per year.
                The building we see on the picture has probably something to do with the dewatering project, which has started in 2003, to remove polluted water out of the mine.
                The removal of the reservoir gave access to many more passages and to a connection to the nearby previously inaccessible Mona Mine. The entry into these sections was filmed for the TV series
                Extreme Archaeology.
                The project was done in the White Rock area and gave access to the Morris shaft.

Comment

• yvneac
                  yvneac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I think I went on the same web site yesterday night but it is impossible to find a picture of this building,so I don't know exactly where it is located.
                  Ivy drives us crazy!....but anyway we love her.

The explorations continue! I did quite a bit of looking around, too, probably on the same sites. Yes, they seem to be "considering their options" as to opening up new workings although the state of the markets and their own losses are making them sit tight for a bit.
                However, that was since 2012, and we are looking at a photo of 2009. And it is not a building in the sense of a house or factory, it is merely a structure (subtle difference as used here).
                So, gentlemen? You've got this great hole in the ground, you aren't going to use it any more, it's dangerous as it is, so what do you do? Three letters, another meaning of which is an article of wearing apparel. By the way, it is interesting that apparently these Parys Mountain mines go back to prehistoric times and in the 1700's were the largest in Europe. I'd never heard of them before, nor anything on mining in Wales apart from coal. It's surprising what one can learn from this thread.
                Ivy

Comment

Well it's a cap - but searching on that last night didn't find anything. That blinking windmill keeps appearing though!

Reassuring that Yves loves you I should think Ivy!
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Which possibilities do we have to find out more?

There is a picture with such a low resolution, that we are not able to identify details.
                    There are various internet sites, like

www.angleseymining.co.uk
                    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
                    Parys_Mountain
                    www.parysmountain.co.uk

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/busines...untain-5456937
                    www.bbc.co.uk/.../copper_kingdom_parys_mountai...

All these are combined with various links to other sites. All are containing a lot of information and pictures. None is showing this structure. No one is mentioning such a structure and it's purpose except of those i mentioned. I did not read all the government papers about the permittance and project possibilities in detal, but i don't think the solution can be found there.
                    We have a clear Google Earth picture with lot's of user's photographies placed in that area. Same result: no such structure.
                    We have even a panoramic picture on GE: No structure visible there.
                    I watched various YouTube videos about trips and excursions as well as camera drone flights over that area: No structure to spot there, also.

You are wrong with your statement about the reopening plans. This was planned much earlier and one of the reasons for the dewatering project, which started in 2003. The second reason was the danger of pollution, when the reservoir would have broken. So in my opinion this is related. It is either a part of the dewatering project or one of the exploration shafts to discover areas of the mine, which were under water before.

Me as non-Britain-native person can not imagine much three letter words according your definition and their possible second meaning in a technical/mining surrounding.
                    So - without using illegal methods (using google picture comparisons to get more information about the original picture itself) i am at the end of my investigation abilities.
                    I can't come closer to it.

Comment

Could it be just a coring rig drilling out core samples to determine if the rocks contain sufficient minerals to justify staring up a mining operation??

Comment

You lot are making such a fuss! What did I ask for originally? I said "Where and what is this?" A little later I asked about the structure in the centre.
                        That was all.

Ombugge quickly came in with spoil heaps, identifying it as a mine.
                        Ralf thought, correctly, that it was a copper mine. He even found, in this rotten photo, sufficient to use the foliage to try and identify the part of the world.
                        Yves, out of the blue, thought it might be Scotland, thus drawing away from the far north or south previously conjectured.
                        Then Ralf found the location in Anglesey, even the mountain.
                        So we have the "where" and the "what" which I asked for.

In #5015 I said:"...... but Ralf is right with the Parys Mountain copper mine in Anglesey. So just ID the structure in the centre and you have it all.""...
                        A little bit of hunting around to ID the central structure followed. I even asked "You've got this great hole in the ground, you aren't going to use it any more, it's dangerous as it is, so what do you do?".To me, the answer was obvious - you'd cover up the hole somehow.

Then in came Mark with the word "cap", the technical word for closing up the hole in such cases.You cap a mine or an oil well - as Ombugge mentioned so much in some of his posts a few years back - and you wear a cap on your head. Three letters, another meaning of which is an article of wearing apparel. Exactly where did I say - concerning the three letter word - "three letter words according your definition and their possible second meaning in a technical/mining surrounding."?
                        Nowhere.
                        I gave the cap hint just to help.

Ralf correctly found the type of mine and the location even if he didn't know what to do with the hole in the ground . So I think he must be declared the winner, although it was very much a co-operative search.

Stomping off in a BIG HUFF now.
                        Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
                          yvneac commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ivy,I'm speachless.You are the best Welsh ambassador.Next time try to found an obscure beach in Antartica.

... a cap over a shaft hole in a copper mine in Wales ... that is a woman's answer.

I was expecting to find something like:
                        "This is the shaft 'Monica' at the eastern end of the Pary's Mountain mine area. It was established, after the geologist Cecilia Taylor suggested gold finds in this shaft. The two poles are part of a crane system, which was established to get the enourmous nuggets up from ther place 1.000 feet under the surface. The idea of this structure is based on construction of Gustave Eiffel from 1901."

Time for some relaxation. Where is Pauline here? The very exact location is requested ! The first, most obvious answer will not be sufficient.

Comment

Is Pauline aboard a ship?If yes,it is the Lofoten or the Vesteralen?

Comment

• ombugge
                            ombugge commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Not Lofoten or Vesteraalen. The text on the IMO sticker is in Danish.
                        Working...
                        X