No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This one possibly not too hard. Instead of something hiding behind a tree, something made of tree.

Where might this gentleman serve you your lunch?

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      First glance: The snow guard on the roof indicate somewhere with heavy snow in the winter. Looks Russian in style, but maybe not in Russia.
      Somewhere in Northern Finland?

Sweden? In the north? Don't know of any Swedish town names....

Comment

Morning both. Not Russia, Finland or Sweden.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Might as well complete that group - Norway?
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

This guy will serve me lunch at Frognerseteren Restaurant in Oslo.
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• ombugge
            ombugge commented
            Editing a comment
            It helps to know the waiter.

• Sterkoder
            Sterkoder commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh I don't know the guy, but Frognerseteren is almost the last place one can be served by staff dressed like they should be..., in style, like abroad. The main dress for waiters in Norway seems to be denim trousers and t-shirts...

• ombugge
            ombugge commented
            Editing a comment
            What do you expect when they are all Swedish migrants?
            Last edited by ombugge; September 28th, 2015, 04:31.

Well done Sterkoder! Yes, it's absolutely Frognersetern Restaurant high over Oslo.

I was privileged to have a wonderful couple of years during the 1990s putting the signalling onto the Holmenkollbanen metro line running from Oslo up to Frognerseteren, so spent a lot of time around this area then. I think that the glory of the place is that it's wonderful on the terrace in the summer, and glorious in the winter when you're tucked up warm and cosy inside the restaurant. Lovely food too - proper Norwegian fare, but nothing too fancy. Definitely one of my favourites.

That one was taken early in July this year - in between various family and supermarket trips!

Just a couple of pictures to show the view.

Over to you Svein!
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Well done, Svein. A lovely bit of reasoning.
            Now this time, old dear, don't forget to post a puzzle! Last time you won we waited... and we waited... and we waited... and in the end someone else restarted the game.
            Ivy

Comment

It appears difficult to get Sterkoder to "do his duty" and post the next puzzle.
              Maybe it is time to declare the field open to anyone with a suitable puzzle picture handy??
              What say you Svein??

Comment

Not difficult - I would say impossible. Just as well, really, as even if he did post a puzzle for us he would never monitor our efforts to resolve it. Svein has been on CVF since you posted the above, Ombugge. Now if it were on FB.......!
                I take the liberty of posting the next puzzle. Where and what is this?

"A capped shaft on Mynydd Parys, Anglesey." Photo by Eric Jones
                Last edited by wherrygirl; October 14th, 2015, 18:52.
                Ivy

Comment

Oha, maybe I should have kept my mouth shut in the wain hope that Sterkoder would eventually post something.
                  First question; is this a photograph or a cleaver painting?
                  Second question; are we looking at a tailing heap from a mine somewhere?

Comment

ach when you look what is left of the task force!!!
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

• wherrygirl
                      wherrygirl commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thijs, we have a saying "Quality, not quantity."

Yes, it's a photo, Ombugge, although I agree that it does look more like a painting. I think it is because apparently the resolution was small so we see the effect of graininess on enlargement.
                    And you are certainly on the right track with the tailing heaps. There is also a related object in the picture which needs ID-ing to satisfy the task mistress!
                    Ivy

Comment

This is reminding me somehow to pictures of copper mines in Peru, which i have seen some time ago. The vegetation is leading to an area quite high or quite far North. I am guessing high.
                      I have no idea which kind of "object" you are mentioning here, Ivy. Maybe the brown pole is a kind of tube for dynamite??
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

OK, I guess we are talking about a Copper, Gold or Uranium Mine, since there appears to be a lot of trailing.
                        Could the structure in the center there be the termination of a cable car carrying the concentrate down to a road where it can be "exported" for further refining??

As for where, I agree with Ralf that it may be at high altitude and/or far south. (Not north as I think we are in South America)
                        Maybe in Chile??

Comment

Ralf, you are spot on with copper, but forget the pole, Ombugge is right to concentrate on the central object though wrong in ID - ing it.
                          Neither South America nor far south. I would also say that it is not far north, either.
                          Can either of you define "high", please?
                          Ivy

Comment

Working...
                          X