No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is a chain driven ferry driven by an electric motor.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Please tell me if you need some help...

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
        Please tell me if you need some help...
        This was not easy. Electric driven chain ferry in Germany somewhere???
        There are several Cable Ferries, by mostly reaction driven (using the current and the Otter Board effect to get across relatively narrow rivers.
        Chain Ferries are not so common. Even more rear is electric driven ones, but I am not able to pinpoint this particular ferry crossing.

My best guess is Elbe or Wesser, but it could also be Mossel????
        The castle may be the clue, but I'm not able to identify that one either. HELP!!!!

Comment

So i am not the only one struggling with this one!

O.K. now the next one. Let's see if it's more difficult than it seems....
          Ralf, i think you knew this one was not going to be as easy as it seemed!

I too have drawn a blank so far, and at one point i even resorted to trying to look up the various locations of 'Lidl' stores! But that got me nowhere.

I also found out that power pylons are normally only painted in red and white when they are near to an airport or airfield, but that also did not help me.

I have not had too much spare time recently, but i am not giving up on this one just yet, there is just too much information in the photo, darn, this one should be easy! Back to google for me!
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

O.K. guys, i am happy to post a puzzle, that's not easy, but has a lot possibilities to try. I think that is the mixture which makes most fun to solve.

It is not Elbe, not Weser and also not Mosel.
            You have to look more southwards...

Comment

Do you need some more help or do you have lost the interest of solving it?

Comment

need more help (atleast i do) can't find nothing on google about a electric cable ferry in germany
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Well, the place is not far away from my home, less than 100km.
                  There are discussions about replacing this and another ferry nearby by bridges...
                  I hope that will open some other search paths...

Comment

Well, the place is not far away from my home, less than 100km.
                    There are discussions about replacing this and another ferry nearby by bridges...
                    I hope that will open some other search paths...
                    I think we are on the river Neckar and possibly Sulz am Neckar, since ther is a major power cable span there.

Comment

Do you need some more help or do you have lost the interest of solving it?
                      Sorry Ralf for not getting too involved in this one. I have got a lot going on at the moment and have not really had the opportunity to concentrate on this one, which is a shame because it's a good challenge. I am hoping normal service will resume soon! Good luck to everyone else, someone must get it soon.
                      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                        I think we are on the river Neckar and possibly Sulz am Neckar, since there is a major power cable span there.
                        The river Neckar is correct, but Sulz is the wrong direction.
                        There are a lot of bridges in Sulz and the river is too small here for inland ships.
                        The electric cable is not so important and unique, that it will help you during the search. But go on, you are on the right track.

Comment

the ferry between:Hassmersheim and burg hornberg

hhmmm i know this image

thanks ombugge for the tip
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

O.K. now the next one. Let's see if it's more difficult than it seems....

Where does this ferry operate?

You were right, it was a lot more difficult then it looked.
                            With the ferry prominent in the picture, I obviously concentrated on that. But even with the knowledge that it was a electric driven chain ferry, that did not help.

Castles are "everywhere" in Germany, as is river barges, so the only other thing was the electric cable span across the river.
                            Yes, there are many of those as well, but this looked like a major one. No luck.

Hints that it was in the south of Germany lead me too far up river. But by throwing in a proposal, I eventually got the hint I needed; down river from Stuttgart.

From there it was quite easy to find a castle that matched, but still no ferry.

This is Burg Hornberg, not far from the Rhine - Neckar junction at Mannerheim:

In this picture you can see the electric cable across the river, but the ferry itself is not visible.

I closer look at the castle:

Now, that has got to be the longest lasting puzzle on this thread. Phuuu!!!

EDITH: Sorry, I didn't see it had already been solved by Janihudi. Congratulation!!!!
                            Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 17:02.

Comment

Congratulations to both of you. I am amused by Ombugges comment "Castles are "everywhere" in Germany", you are quite right.

So the wineyards would have been a much better hint than the castle itself, because the focus would have been left on Mosel and Neckar. Maybe a short piece of the Saale also.

Then there are not many of the small ferries left. They discuss about spending millions of Euros for new bridges which will not be frequented and cost also maintenace after a couple of years.

Look at youtube, a nice movie about the ferry. The ferryman is telling about his job and the delightful nature. Because of problems with his back he had to quit his former job and he is very happy to have the job on the ferry now. Seems that our hurrying society has no time anymore for such idyllic things...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uwTZxwUHly4
                              Last edited by Ralf__; September 14th, 2010, 12:16.

Comment

...so it's up to Janihudi now...

I am curious, where you will lead us to!!

Comment

Working...
                                X