No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread has been dormant far too long.
    Since there are few, if any, clues to be found in the picture this one must be solved by Q&A and elimination.
    First Question; is this hotel located somewhere in France, or in an Overseas French Territory??
    Second Question; are we in Europe?
    Third Question; Are we in the Eastern or Western Hemisphere?
    Fourth Question; Are we North or South of Equator?
    Answer to those question should at least narrow it down to a quarter of the globe.

PS> More question; is this termed as a "Boutique Hotel", a "Resort Hotel", or connected to some sort of adventure area or national park??

Comment

Not Europe South emisphere Good standing hôtel.

Comment

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        That only answers two of the five questions; it is outside Europe and South of Equator.
        That still leaves three questions unanswered:
        Is it in a French Overseas Territory outside Europe and south of equator? (There are several possibilities)
        Is it in the Eastern or Western hemisphere? (I.e. east or west of the Greenwich median)
        I'm sure it is a hotel of good standing, but does it advertise itself as a "Boutique Hotel", "Resort Hotel", or as attached to some sort of adventure, a national park, or some other attraction? (Like a specially scenic location, team park or whatever)

I am reading "good standing hotel" as meaning a good standard type hotel, i.e not specifically falling into any of the categories Ombugge lists, apart from maybe scenic location which it probably would not need to advertise.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Scénique location I think so. As a clé they speak spanish here

Comment

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          Spanish speaking and south of equator. That should put us in South America, i.e. Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia, Chile or Argentina.
          All of these countries has scenic places. There is no way to see if this is by the coast or in the mountains, but from the tall trees I'll say we are not in the dry coastal zone here.
          My bet is in the southern parts of South America, probably in Patagonia, but either on the Argentinean of Chilean side of the Andes.

This is the Tierra Chiloe hotel in Pategonia, see http://www.tierrahotels.com/tierra-chilo-hotel-boutique
        Ivy

Comment

yes ivy you are the best by the way friendly waving from lofoten islands

Comment

• PoloUK
            PoloUK commented
            Editing a comment
            Yves - Have you only just found out that Ivy is the best? The rest of us have known that for some time!!

Hallo, Yves. Friendly waves across the waves from Bunga.y. (Sorry! )
          I was lucky, really. I just Googled "Modern hotels in South America" - nothing like giving it a wide choice, but I was looking for a style and perhaps the architect's name. Amongst the images there was one which had a similar design but it turned out to be a school. However, I made a note of the architect and carried on scrolling. Somehow I stumbled upon something for Tierra Hotels in Chile. One looked possible though it was from a completely different angle and I was doubtful. But I watched the video - and there it was.
          So, now I go on a world tour for obscure sites.
          Ivy

Comment

Right, next one.
            What is this and where is it?

"Bering Land Bridge Office in Nome (9511336119)" by Bering Land Bridge National Preserve - Bering Land Bridge Office in Nome. Licensed under CC BY 2.0 via Wikimedia Commons
            Last edited by wherrygirl; August 5th, 2015, 22:09.
            Ivy

Comment

• nari
              nari commented
              Editing a comment
              It's been snowing, the mammoth pictured could be from anywhere; is it Northern Hemisphere?

Mammoth Lake CA, USA???

Comment

Yes, northern hemisphere, Nari. As for the mammoth, yoiu're right, it could even have been here in Norfolk. But it's not!
              No, Ombugge, not Mammoth Lake. CA.
              Ivy

Comment

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment
                OK, so not as simple as Mammoth Lake, but it still looks like somewhere in North America to me??

• nari
                nari commented
                Editing a comment
                Somehow it looks Spanish - the sort of building style I've seen in Argentina...so somewhere in an elevated part of Spain?

Yes, Ombugge, this is in North America.
              Ivy

Comment

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment
                Somewhere in the Yellowstone National Park, or the area around??

• nari
                nari commented
                Editing a comment
                Canada??? Between the Rockies and the west coast....

Not in the Yellowstone National Park or its vicinity, nor in Canada.
              By the way, why are you both using Comments?
              Ivy

Comment

Somewhere in Wyoming??

Comment

Nowhere in Wyoming..
                  Ivy

Comment

Mammoth cave national park,Kentucky?