• Time
  • Show
Clear All

No iceland sorry......

Comment

• nari
      nari commented
      Editing a comment
      Too neat and orderly for Iceland, so I will go for - Scotland or East coast of Canada....

No not the right place.

Comment

At first glance: Faroe Islands???

Comment

Not in scotland, canada or Féroé

Comment

Right, let's narrow it down. Is this place in Europe, Yves?
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• nari
            nari commented
            Editing a comment
            Had a search through Google images for sea and land stacks but didn't find any as neatly stacked as these. Somewhere in GB?

Europe in a way yes but only in a way.you Will understand when the puzzle Will be solved

Comment

Anyway it is not in Uk or GB.

Comment

When I said Europe I meant geographical Europe, both mainland and islands, though I don't know whether that makes any difference!
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

The Azores???..........................

Comment

OK I have to clarify Not Europe in geography. Not Azores

Comment

• nari
                    nari commented
                    Editing a comment
                    OK, a place owned by a European country??? Plenty of them around......France for instance....

Seems like the masses are wandering in the dark on this one. Please give us a light to lead us....
                  Regards; Sigve.
                  ---
                  IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

It is most likely a French connection here.
                    Kerguelen Islands, which is a French Overseas Territory??

Comment

• nari
                      nari commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I was about to mention Kerguelen and you jumped the gun... but it does not look wild and woolly enough to be those islands.
                      Okay! I just checked the islands on google. Got it! Good thinking ombugge...

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      After I posted I looked up Kerguelen and Port-aux-Francais (Population 45) and found this Happy gang:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRxYQFhYYs8
                      At 2:01 you see the distinctive twin rock pinnacles in Yves' puzzle picture.

Want to take a trip to visit the happy gang??:

Awful connection here in Beuvron.yes it is Kerguelen

Comment

• nari
                      nari commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have a book The Lonely South by Andrew Migot about life on Kerguelen, first printed in 1956. In the text it sure does not look or sound a happy place to be in 1956 and far from the sophistication on youtube. Does anyone know what happened to the Kista Dan? I think one of her sister ships met a sticky end?

I'd rather check out Buvetoya - if the ice ever recedes....

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Here is what happened to her:
                      N LR/IMO ID Year Name Tons Change Starke Ref. Registered Owner Port
                      5189409 5189409 1952 KISTA DAN 1239 V1952 #462 Rederiet Ocean A/S DNK Esbjerg
                      329738 5189409 5189409 1952 MARTIN KARLSEN 1239 1967 V1952 #462 Martin Karlsen A/S NOR Aalesund
                      329738 5189409 5189409 1952 MARTIN KARLSEN 1239 1968 V1952 #462 Karlsen Sg Co Ltd CAN Halifax
                      329738 5189409 5189409 1952 BENJAMIN BOWRING1239 1979 V1952 #462 Bowring SS Co Ltd GBR London
                      329738 5189409 5189409 1952 BENJAMIN BOWRING1239 1982 V1952 #462 The Bearcreek Oil & Sg Co Ltd GBR London
                      329738 5189409 5189409 1952 ARCTIC GAEL 1239 1983 V1952 #462 Freighters & Tankers Ltd GBR Hamilton
                      5189409 5189409 1952 OLYMPIAKOS 1239 1984 V1952 #462 Marnato Cia Naviera SA PAN Panama
                      Broken up at Aliaga 4.8.98 [Gursoy GS]

Her sistership, the Kisa Dan is still going strong as the Geo-technical vessel Mariner. She has appeared several times on CVF, latest last year at Loyang Offshore Base: http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...ngapore/page21

• nari
                      nari commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks ombugge. What a long and chequered history for these ships, although they seem to have run long lives. We knew of an Aussie doctor on the Nella Dan in the 1950s on Heard Island(from memory).

Sorry.Since I was in Beuvron for the WE where we have a very bad net connection,I had to be laconic when I answered.
                    The twin rocks on the picture are the remains of a former arch.Here is a photo from 1893 when it still stood.
                    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Fi...elen_redux.jpg
                    Kerguelen is only inhabited by scientists.
                    Since 1986 a flag of convenience ("almost of convenience" as a former minister said) exists at Port-Aux-Français.

Comment

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It has now been replaced by a more convenient French International Shipsregister.
                      I'll be looking for somewhere even more remote then.

• yvneac
                      yvneac commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's right Ombugge.It is called RIF-French Internationa Register- Here is a link with the French government communication office.
                      http://www.rif.mer.developpement-dur...onals-r65.html

OK so it is my turn again.
                    I couldn't find a more remote place than Kerguelen, so I present you a town with growing pains:

But where in the world is this town???

Comment

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Oooops, the Panorama maker didn't do too good a job of it, but you should get the drift.
                  Working...
                  X