• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there any link with Cuba?

Comment

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      Aha, maybe the mix Cuba Libre in there???

The boys have done all the work! You only have to look up semiconductor factories and America on Google, look at the pictures and you get the Intel Wikipedia site at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel

That tells us we're in Costa Rica. I'm not quite sure where - I think it's La Ribera in Heredia Province, but the photos of the site today look slightly different.

Ah, yes, if you go here http://www.wikiwand.com/es/Provincia_de_Heredia and search for Intel ....

Interestingly (ish) Intel's UK HQ are at Swindon - glamorous metropolis about 15 miles east of where I'm sitting. Much the same as Costa Rica, but fewer bananas.

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

You were on the right track, Ombugge, prior to the drinks deviation (!) but Mark has beaten you to it. I only asked for the country, but yes, it is the Intel microprocessor site at La Ribera in Heredia, Costa Rica. According to the Reuters report from April last year it has now been closed. http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/...A371TJ20140409
      So well done, Mark and over to you.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

OK - so another 'vague area of' one.

Where, roughly, are we?

Not sure that some of you will need a clue, but I would say that although this is the view from the road, there is a railway here, somewhere!

Attribution to follow when solved. Solved now, so photo from Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nu...w_DSC04547.JPG, taken by Yewenyi.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          At first glance; Somewhere on the pampas in Argentina??

• nari
          nari commented
          Editing a comment
          Northern or Southern hemisphere?

Good morning Singapore and Australia!!

Ombugge: Does look similar doesn't it, but no.

Nari: Southern.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Somewhere in South Africa,on the railway line between Le Cap and Pretoria?

Comment

Bounjour la France!!! Non.

Not South Africa. Shame though - that wouldn't be a bad place to be.
            Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

And what about the Australian bush on the Indian Pacific or Ghan routes?

Comment

What about them indeed?

I'm really looking for the name of the area - on the Indian Pacific (certainly) / Ghan (a bit) route. Probably all too easy now you've got that far.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Around Tarcoola where is the junction of the routes?

Comment

Well, yes - I think you're there. I was actually looking for the Nullarbor Plain - a huge area of nothingness! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nullarbor_Plain

Signalling on that railway was a real challenge, and I came across something related to that the other day - that's why I thought of it. Some very clever technology using radio comms and solar power rather than copper cable.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• yvneac
                      yvneac commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nullabor plain was my first thought in Australia but the picture above does't appear on the French wiki page.Then your clue about trains leads me to Tarcoola.
                      This Indian Pacific is the kind of trip I'd like to do.

So ... over to you Yves!
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Eee, I missed out on this one, never even got round to seeing it.
                      Monday evening I saw the film Tracks, about Robyn Davidson's trek alone apart from her dog and four camels, from Alice right across the Gibson desert and out to the Indian Ocean. Googling around I read somewhere that it was actually filmed in South Australia and the Northern Territory, no mention of WA, but when I read her own account on the web she obviously came via the Gibson into the Little Sandy Desert (where I was) and the Pilbara, but then a little further south than where my adventure took place. I was very interested in the story, of course, and it was beautifully acted, but it was the scenery I was after and even if not filmed in the Pilbara the landscape was identical.
                      The old spell enveloped me immediately, the scenery as in Mark's image took hold of me once again as if I were still there. As soon as I got off that late afternoon plane from Perth and stepped on to the red soil at the Newman airstrip something there caught and held me. Six in the evening, the faint sound of passengers being greeted by those who had come to pick them up, the dwindling sound of vehicles driving off into the dark, all this seemed lost in the immense, glorious silence of a land that felt sufficient unto itself, that took no heed of humans.
                      And the film brought it all back.
                      Ivy

Comment

• PoloUK
                        PoloUK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Wonderful stuff Ivy. Attribution now added - not one of mine. I had a couple of trips to Queensland, but never got this far south or west.

• nari
                        nari commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Funny, I figured it looked like Australia but then so does Eastern Patagonia and other geologically worn down places.
                        Ivy, lots of people seem to feel the same way as you did when you stepped off the plane from Perth. The colours and their endlessness (sic) is what gets to them - oh, and the complete silence - until some truck roars past.

• wherrygirl
                        wherrygirl commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Trucks don't roar past in the area we were in when we were hunting for the ramshackle old building that Will knew, Nari! Trackless scrub, John, my Aussie friend, picking his way through the spinifex clumps, gingerly driving round the termite mounds, feeling his way down the gullies and up out the other side. Trucks roaring??? No way, no way. Trucks at all? No way. Just us, literally.

Leaving Australia with regret,let's go to another part of the wide world:

Comment

Iceland? (My laptop is playing up - gone all jerky so it's taking me ages to get anywhere! BAH!)
                        Ivy

Comment

Working...
                        X