No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are both a bit too far East and/or South.
    Last edited by ombugge; August 6th, 2010, 16:57.

Comment

This puzzle proved more difficult than I expected, even with the small and low grade picture.
      To help it along, here is some better pics from the same place in different seasons:

Spring or early summer

High Summer

Autumn

One more hint: There is a very famous peak next to this valley.
      Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 16:29.

Comment

Have had family staying for the last week, so have not had a chance to look at this puzzle properly yet, but have had sometime this evening to have a quick look. Could this be near Trollveggen, Romsdal?

I find places like this very hard to identify, different seasons make places look totally different, and even a slightly different camera angle can change things completely.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
          Have had family staying for the last week, so have not had a chance to look at this puzzle properly yet, but have had sometime this evening to have a quick look. Could this be near Trollveggen, Romsdal?

I find places like this very hard to identify, different seasons make places look totally different, and even a slightly different camera angle can change things completely.
          Not Trollveggen, which has a 1000 m. shear wall on the side towards Romsdal.
          This is a bit to the West of there and South from Aalesund.

Sorry about the long wait for a reply. I have been away for a few days.

Comment

This ended up at bit more difficult then I expected.
            If I give any more hints it will be a dead giveaway, but to get some reaction I can say that it is in Sunnmore County.

Comment

I think i may have solved this one. I believe these are images from 'Molladalen'.

See this link....
              http://fotsporet.com/molladalen210807%281%29.html

I only managed to solve this one by clicking on lots of panoramia views on google earth. Ombugge saying that this place was west of Trollveggen and south of Aalesund finally put me in the correct area.

I must say that without Nichu getting the general area correct a week or so ago, i doubt i would have stood a chance of finding this place.
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Congratulations Steve, you did it again!!!!
                With all the Norwegians giving up early, it had to be a persistent Englishman to identify this quite distinct and well known valley in Norway.

Time for a new challenge.

Comment

I must admit i was expecting someone else to solve that one before i did, a few guesses were rather close. At the very start Nichu guessed about 80km's east from Alesund, i would say he was spot on with that guess!

Anyway, this next one may prove to be a bit easier.

Where is this place?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                    Where is this place?...

Let me make an estimated guess: somewhere near Waterford?
                    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Again we see very less. No sign, no ships name, nothing special. I think it is anywhere in the south or south west of Great Britain. But more... how to find it out?
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                        Again we see very less. No sign, no ships name, nothing special. I think it is anywhere in the south or south west of Great Britain. But more... how to find it out?
                        Sorry for the lack of clues Ralf, i didn't want the puzzle solved within a few hours of being posted!

This one is very difficult to give clues without making it very easy indeed. It is a very well known place, or maybe i should say that the photo was taken from the very well known place.

This place was once rumoured to be home to a giant in days long past.

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                        Let me make an estimated guess: somewhere near Waterford?
                        No, not Waterford J-O. This place is situated in England.

Comment

So that's a clue. I agree, especially for English people the solution should be quite easy. But don't forget that all we foreign CV members have no knowledge about English fairy tales!
                          So it took a while and i learned much about the Giants of your country.

But now i am quite sure that we see the harbour of Mount St. Michaels here. The village in the background should be Marazion and this is indeed in most Southern West part of your country (most giants seemed to live here ). The giant's name was Cormelian, or, as the name is sometimes given, Cormorant (maybe your idea to post this after watching the cormorants on the wreck of Ohimara ). There were some other places to check like Land's End (Jack, the Giant's Killer), Lelant/Hayle (Tom, the Giant) and Totnes (Brutus & Gogmagog). But such a harbour is only in Mount St.Michaels...

Correct?

Comment

Well done Ralf, you are indeed correct with your guess, St Micheal's Mount it is!

Here is a view from Marazion looking towards the mount.

Photo Credit - Neil Kennedy

I did not realise that the tale about the giant was so well known, if i had i may not have used it as a clue In the original photo i posted i was expecting someone to pick up on the fact that the entrance to the harbour seemed to be remote from the land. In the photo you can see the water around the harbour, with land in the background. This was a clue to this place being on an island.

St Micheal's Mount is situated in Mounts Bay just 400 yards off shore from the coastal village of Marazion. It has a long and interesting history which is covered in some detail in the wikipedia article. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Michael%27s_Mount

In Britain we say 'St Micheal's Mount', rather than 'Mount St Micheal'. The French however do have their own 'Mont Saint-Michel', which in many respects is very similar to the Cornish mount.

'Mont Saint-Michel' in Normandy.

More about Mont Saint-Michel can be found in the Wiki article.
                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mont_Saint-Michel

So, it is now over to you Ralf, let's see what you can find for us!

Comment

For me that clue was perfect and i enjoyed to puzzle that way. The position of the harbour is not so unique - i think there are a lot of harbours having their entrance out of the windy side. The island position is not visible on your picture, so my guess was a situation in a narrow bay or a river delta.... never ever had a chance then to find it...

O.K. now the next one. Let's see if it's more difficult than it seems....

Where does this ferry operate?

Comment

This one looks interesting. Lot's of clues in this one, flags, well known discount food store, power pylons etc. But, i am most intrigued by the ferry, trying to work out why it seems to have a wire rising upwards. I have heard of trolley buses, but never a trolley ferry! If this ferry is picking up electric power from overhead lines, then this must be some sort of cable or chain driven ferry, otherwise with the help of a bit of wind or river current it would be dragging down the overhead line it appears to be attached to.

Comment

Working...
                                X