No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now something different, the name of the ship might help, but where are we??
    (photographers name will be published after the puzzle is solved)

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

You are way smarter than me, Ralf.... I didn't even notice the clue in the maple leaf when I found and posted the image.

Now, to the old shipwreck.... that needs some scrutiny..... hilly, lots of trees all the way down to the water.... uhmmmm.... just making a first guess, are we in New Zealand?
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

It also reminds me of another area which is quite similar to Norway, a Chilean fjord..... but, for now, I tend to fall on New Zealand ..... I don't recall clearly how the Misty Fjord looked like, but that would be my guess to begin with.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I'm so terribly sorry...... I think I might have solved that last one.

I googled shipwrecks New Zealand and did not find any ship matching the description... but lots of other interesting ships which I will go back and read more about!

Then, to my second suspicion.... a Chilean fjord... I think I might have seen this one myself once, and surely, in my folder, I found a terrible image that I had taken myself.

A quick search revealed MESSIER CHANNEL in Chile, and the wreck is called CAPTAIN LEONIDAS...

Comment

That was quick, but don't be "terribly sorry", that is what could/should happen. Only one Puzzle here has not been solved at all, back in 2010. This one:

Back to the Captian Leonidis; she was originally built as the Molda in Germany in 1937 for Mowinckles Rederi, Bergen.
            Here is a link to her wartime history: http://www.warsailors.com/singleships/molda.html

And a picture of her as Molda in Vancouver in 1953 found on Shipsspotting and posted by Paul Wille:

She was deliberately run aground by her Master 07.04.1968 on a voyage with sugar in bulk from Santos, Brazil to Valparaiso, Chile. He was jailed for his effort.
            It has been claimed that he had sold the sugar and discharged it somewhere before entering Chilean waters. That may sounds a bit far fetched today, but not impossible then.
            She was intended to sink to claim insurance for the (non-existing??) cargo and vessel.
            If she had sunk in deep water, the sugar would have been dissolved pretty quickly, thus camouflaging the fact that the cargo had been stolen.

Some places it is claimed that she run aground in 1963, but that is not correct. Here is her history of Ownership and demise according to Miramar Ship Index:
            5427057 1937 MOLDA 5137 V1937 #434 A/S J.Ludwig Mowinckels Rederi NOR Bergen
            5427057 1937 MOLDA COUNTY 5137 1959 V1937 #434 A/S J.Ludwig Mowinckels Rederi NOR Bergen
            5427057 5427057 1937 FANA 5137 1963 V1937 #434 A.Kjerland & Co
            5427057 5427057 1937 CAPTAIN LEONIDAS 5137 1966 V1937 #434 S.L.Coutsodontis
            wrecked 48.45.45S/74.27.30W 7.4.68

Comment

You are so very correct, although i was suprised by the solution, i found her as "Cotopaxi", because several travel blog reports name her so. But you showed me, that this is not correct. Very well done and back to you, Jan-.Olav. I am glad that you were motivated to look out for some background information, Ombugge!

Comment

Thank you so much ombugge - that was a ship with a very interesting story!

I have googled up some interesting pages ont his ship and her story too, to read on the paddy later tonight. It's a nice looking vessel also.

I just reasoned, but I have to admit I was more inclined towards New Zealand, but when I found no shipwrecks there, it had to be, based on the vegetation, a Chilean fjord.

I have tried finding a new puzzle, and I have to admit it's not an easy task. I have found one image, with a small town that seems to be itneresting - I had never heard about it, hopefully so haven't any of you too.

So, where in the world?

I'm looking for the name of the town!

Comment

Looks Mediterranean at first glance??

Comment

That is a great guess, ombugge!

We are somewhere in the Med in this image.

Comment

Is it in Croatia? The stones and the water colour looks like that.

Comment

What do we know??
                      We know we are in the Med somewhere, but does that include tributes to the Med, such as the Adriatic or Aegean Seas??

What can we see here???
                      We see a small island, (or peninsula??) with a table mountain and what looks like a "walled" town/village at one side, which indicate medieval origin.
                      There are no sign that the town/village has any port, or even a landing place within the "walled" area, so it is not a fishing town/village.
                      There is a larger town, with what looks like a modern port, at the "mainland".

Comment

it is the rock Island of monemvasia Greece

and if i turn the image ,it looks like this

best regards Thijs

Comment

• ombugge
                          ombugge commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes that looks right.
                          Here is a brief history of the place, spanning nearly 2000 year on one page: http://www.monemvasia.com/

• yvneac
                          yvneac commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Congratulations Thijs.It was not easy.I was lost somewhere in the Athos mountains.....

Thijs, congratulations, you are certainly persistent in your explorations! I just chickened out of searching the Aegean.
                        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

the next puzzle,what and were is this?

best regards Thijs

Comment

Leif Ericson statue and Hallgrimsonkirkja church in Reykjavik,Iceland.

Comment

Working...
                            X