What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post

Well: The sign "to let" in the windows is English language, but the road signs give to me the impression that we have traffic here on the right, "the normal side", People look European, but also some coloured people walk there. Not easy, no other sign is readable. No car is visible on this picture... Very difficult.

Is this correct: English speaking people, but traffic on the right side?
    Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    I disagree that the traffic is necessarily driving on the right hand side of the roads as a rule. Maybe this is a one way street with a bicycle lane on the left side?
    This is a two way road, but the road is only open to buses, taxis and bicycles. The 'No Entry' signs you see are situated at the exit of two bus parking bays. The road itself goes off to the right just in front of those signs.

The traffic itself drives on the left of the road (The Correct side!), so i guess that narrows it down just a tiny bit for you. If you look, there are two identical clues in the photo that will not only tell which country you are in, but also whereabouts in the country you are.

One final piece of information for now, the piece of road that you see in the photo used to be a two lane westbound carriageway, the eastbound side of the road is just out of shot to the left. That part of the road is no longer available for road traffic, and no, it's not been turned into a pedestrian area either, but it is very much in use on a daily basis.

Good luck!
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I feel these lampposts at the pedestrian crossing is very British.
      And isn't there some small Tubesigns near the building?
      I'll go for London.

I know that I have seen this building before, but where?

Comment

Originally posted by Nichu View Post
        I feel these lampposts at the pedestrian crossing is very British.
        I'll go for London.
        You are in the right part of the world Nichu, but you need to narrow it down a lot more, London is a big place, plus you have all the London Boroughs that surround it!

Well spotted, but these signs are also used on all of the London area bus services for the bus stop signs. London's tubes and buses all used to be run by one big company - London Transport, that is why the tube sign is also used for the bus stops. But do remember that London's bus services reach a long way put into the suburbs and surrounding counties.

And just in case you are ever in London and you wish to travel by bus, here is a little bit of info for you. If the bus stop sign as got a white background with a red logo - like the ones you spotted in the picture, the bus will stop for you without you requesting it to do so, the white ones are compulsory stops. If however, the sign as got a red background with a white logo, then it is a request stop and you will have to signal to the driver to let him know you want the bus to stop for you. Sticking your arm out is the normal means of doing this. BUT, be warned, if two buses are coming down the road, one behind the other, and the one you want to catch is the one at the back, be careful, if the front one pulls in to the stop, the bus at the rear will try to simply overtake the bus that's pulled in and carry on down the road without stopping. The drivers excuse will always be, "sorry, didn't see you standing there because i had a bus in front of me"! I can tell you from past experience that about the only way you will catch the rear bus is if you literally run out into the road and block it's path!

But, back to the puzzle, you need to be much more specific in the location.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

That helped.

The building in question is the NLA building in the Borough of Croydon, London:
          No. 1 Croydon was originally known colloquially as the Threepenny Bit building, due to its resemblance to a number of Threepence coins stacked on top of each other. After the coins stopped being used in 1970 the building eventually gained the alternative nickname the 50p building, as it also resembles a stack of the now more familiar 50p pieces, and it is also referred to as The Wedding Cake.[8][9] For many older Croydon residents, however, it is and remains the "Threepenny Bit Building".
          The second carriageway has probably been replaced by the Croydon Tram Link?
          Last edited by ombugge; August 4th, 2010, 04:44.

Comment

Well done ombugge.

Strangely, I associated the building with an airport.
            And were looking for it in the areas of London City and Heathrow airports.

Now, I believe that I have seen it from the passing Gatwick Express,
            and in my mind noted the name East Croydon station.
            Croydon was once one of London's main airports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydon_Airport

Comment

Well what can i say? Very well done Ombugge, not only have you correctly identified the building and the place it is to found, you have also answered all of the bonus questions! PLUS, you have also correctly guessed that the other carriageway of the road is now used for the Croydon Tram Link!

I was born and grew up about 2 miles away from this location, my mum and dad always called it the "threepenny bit building". It's official name used to be the NLA tower, but more recently it's official title's been changed to No.1 Croydon.

Now, I believe that I have seen it from the passing Gatwick Express,
              and in my mind noted the name East Croydon station.
              Croydon was once one of London's main airports.
              Yes, the building is right next to the railway at East Croydon, so anyone that's flown into Gatwick and used the railway to get to London, may well have remembered spotting it. And yes, you are correct Nichu, Croydon was once home to the first major airport for London. It featured many pages ago in this thread! Croydon Airport Puzzle.

So congratulations to Ombugge, all details correct Sir!
              So back to you now.

Comment

I was never in doubt that it was somewhere in England, or at least UK, but I spent all too much effort assuming that it would be in the SW.

Once London got into the equation, courtesy of Nichu, I remembered Steve's earlier puzzles from that area.
                With the last clue given, I searched for new Tram Lines in Greater London area and the name Croydon. From there it was all down hill.

It should be Sigve's turn, but I believe he is still on holiday, so I'll place a new puzzle in the meantime.

Where in the wide world are we now???

Sorry about the small size. I'm not able to blow it up further due to the low resolution from source.
                Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 16:26.

Comment

Sorry, double posting. A Senior moment, I presume.

Comment

Oh Ombugge, this is a joke! With such a bad resolution it is not possible to find any information out of the picture itself, like plants or something like that.

So we have to play a question and answer game...

O.K. We are not in the Alps. Here we have more stony areas beneath the rocks and in this pictures we have the green come up until the rocks begin.
                    Something tells me that we are anyway in the northern hemisphere and not really high. The picture should be taken in springtime, because of some snow rests which don't seem to be there during the whole summer... I guess the mountains are about 2.000 meter high?

O.K. so far?
                    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Oh Ombugge, this is a joke! With such a bad resolution it is not possible to find any information out of the picture itself, like plants or something like that.

So we have to play a question and answer game...

O.K. We are not in the Alps. Here we have more stony areas beneath the rocks and in this pictures we have the green come up until the rocks begin.
                      Something tells me that we are anyway in the northern hemisphere and not really high. The picture should be taken in springtime, because of some snow rests which don't seem to be there during the whole summer... I guess the mountains are about 2.000 meter high?

O.K. so far?
                      Sorry about the rsolution. it looked good in the original, but only a few kb total, which I only noticed when I tried to increase the size.
                      Not in the Alps is correct.
                      Northern hemisphere and not realy high is also right. (<2000 m.)
                      Greenery may just indicate the tree limit at this altitude/latitude.
                      Snow may not indicate the time of year, as snow may remain on the north side of mountains late into the summer, or even later, at this location.

Comment

About 80 km east of Ålesund ?
                        (As the crow fly)

Comment

Originally posted by Nichu View Post
                          About 80 km east of Ålesund ?
                          (As the crow fly)
                          That could be right, but do you have a name for that place?

Comment

I checked o lot of mountains in that area, but nothing seems to be the place. But as Ombugge seems to be leading in this direction i vote for Jotunheimen. Gjende, Rondane, Dovrefjell and Sunndalfjella are looking very different.
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I checked o lot of mountains in that area, but nothing seems to be the place. But as Ombugge seems to be leading in this direction i vote for Jotunheimen. Gjende, Rondane, Dovrefjell and Sunndalfjella are looking very different.
                              That's the problem with Norway, it doesn't lend itself to easy classification.
                              I'm waiting for Nichu to pinpoint the location with a name.
                              Anybody else is free to beat him to it, though.

Comment

I am in no way sure of where this is.
                                But it reminds me of the mountains lining the lower part of Romsdalen.

Don't think that the foto is shot from the valley, but either from Trollstigen,
                                or the valley to the southeast of Isfjorden.

Comment

Working...
                                X