What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK Ralf - thanks.

Re UK east coast sunsets over the sea, of course the top end of Norfolk has a lump in it which means that it looks west. Hunstanton and Heacham for example both point sunset-wards!

So, next puzzle.

This is from 1900, but what place is this?

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Somewhere in North West Europe and flat.

Comment

Oh Gawd - here we go again - when is Europe West, North, South or North Western?

Yep. It's Europe and north of the Alps. And yes, this bit's flat and it's got a river.

That's 90% of the solution then!
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Bonuspoint is granted! Hunstanton it was. For the new puzzle i am guessing a place in Belgium ot Netherlands. The big building on the left side in the foreground seems to be a railroad station. Am i on the right way?
          Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• PoloUK
            PoloUK commented
            Editing a comment
            My beloved Auntie used to live in Heacham - the next village to Hunstanton. Hunstanton's theatre, the Princess Theatre, was particularly fun as I recall.

New picture. No, not Belgium or Netherlands.

Not sure what the big building is, but this place is on the railway.

i'm more thinking about Germany,the middle part of it, i see some hills in the background
          best regards Thijs

Comment

• Ralf__
            Ralf__ commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't think so, because i can not see a single timber framed house, but we almost everywhere had in 1900. The shape of the windows does also not appear German to me. France? North of Paris?

Interesting! It is Germany!!

The wooden houses point is relevant though. This town had plenty of them before the middle of the last Century.

Oh - and what Ralf thought was a station is definitely the station.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Oh!
            Well, then it is Braunschweig! I found it comparing main station buildings of that time! I have never been there.

http://images.zeno.org/Ansichtskarte...g/AK02188a.jpg

Today only the entrance hall of the old dead end station is left. The rails have moved, the new main station (since 1960) is a drive through station and 1.5km away.

Comment

Yes, it's Braunschweig! That area doesn't look like that any more - the VW Halle is on the site of most of the old station, although I understand that the front of the old station is very much still there.

The wooden houses bit is sad - apparently the half-timbered houses were magnificent until an air raid in October 1944.

The reason I thought of Braunschweig was a work-related one. No advertising, but the large German company I work for (which begins with an 'S') has the base of its railway signalling and control business in Braunschweig, and so since they acquired us we've made many friends in the town. It is also 'twinned' with Bath!

The history of railway signalling in Braunschweig itself is quite something. The first interlocking for the line there was created by Saxby & Farmer, the company created by John Saxby immediately after he'd patented railway signalling, and so must have been one of the earliest exported interlockings.

The signalling supply business traces back to the remarkable Max Judel and his business founded in 1873. We keep finding a remarkable number of similarities between the UK company in Chipepenham and the Braunschweig organisation, and that working together is very easy since we seem to have a shared culture and understanding - despite our very separate evolutions.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Very interesting! But for the others a puzzle without railway connection. What place is this? (photographer will be named after the puzzle is solved)

Comment

I wonder if it takes place in Italy or in a East European country.Maybe none of them.What do you think Ralf?

The letters on the van are in French but the uniforme of the "policewoman" is not.

Comment

• Ralf__
                    Ralf__ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I think it is one of them! My first thought was also, that the look might be very similar, but i think the car with the Italian numberplate in the middle of the picture had no far travel to get there.

Your answer is very sibylline,Ralf,since Italy has a border with Slovenia (which was my first option).So to be sure,can you confirm we are in Italy?

Comment

• Ralf__
                    Ralf__ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You are right, i did not think about that. I confirm, that it is in Italy!

• ombugge
                    ombugge commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Obviously not in Venice, But somewhere in that vicinity??

I agree with Ombugge,I guess we are in the Northern part of Italy.The signs on the van"joie de vivre" makes me think about Val d'AOSTE which is a francophone province.

Comment

• Ralf__
                    Ralf__ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The northern part of Italy is very correct. But it takes a while to reach Venice from there, as well as to reach the francophone provinces. That might narrow you down a little bit! You are doing a great job so far!

Somewhere in the old part of Parma?

Comment

• Ralf__
                    Ralf__ commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No bad guess, but we are North of the big Italian river. I had to do business there last week, but this clue won't help. The town belonged in history for more than three hundred years to Venice. Since some years they have a town partnership to a French town seated in the Ile de France.

Well, the latest clues from Ralf definitely narrows it down.
                  There are several cities north of the Po which have been dependencies of Venice at some time or another; Verona, Cremona and Bergamo among them.
                  Venice occupied Verona from 1405 to 1508 and Cremona only from 1499 to 1509, while Bergamo was occupied by Venice from 1428 to 1797.

I cannot find this particular picture, or the exact location of it, but based on the above Bergamo is my guess.
                  Bergamo is Sister City to Mulhouse in France.

Comment

I thought I had a good experience of what is Italy but this puzzle showed my lacks.
                    We are in Crema and the tower is Torrazzo Interno.
                    Good game Ralf.

Comment

• ombugge
                      ombugge commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You are right, the tower in Ralf's picture does show up when checking images from Crema. It was a possession of Venice from 1429 until 1797 as well.

I actually thought that Crema was a type of Italian Expresso, but I'm learning something new every day.
                  Working...
                  X