No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well as long as our French expert is away, there is a possibility for all other seekers. Summary: We are at the French West coast, beach village, but North of Bordeaux. Now, who will find the place where i spent two summer holidays in my childhood? According background story is promised to be published after the correct solution.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Is there any clear definition of what is Southern and what is Northern France?
      If so, where on the West coast is the "border"???

Comment

Glad you said that Ombugge! I wrote off all that part of the world 'cos I considered it to be Northern Europe. Confused Polo.
        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• PoloUK
          PoloUK commented
          Editing a comment
          Wikipedia refer to the UN's Statistics Divisions definitions at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_Europe
          Just adds to the confusion! Anyway, doesn't matter, we know where we are now - to within a few hundred miles anyway.

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          My question was what is the definition of Southern and Northern FRANCE and where is the border at the western coast of FRANCE.
          If we make a line across France at the median between the northernmost and southernmost point on the coast, that would put the "border" just south of the Loire river mouth. If we follow that assumption we must be somewhere north of Bordeaux (44 50' N) and south of Notre-Dame-de-Monts. (46 50' N) OK, only 120 n.miles of coastline to follow.
          But then again, it is probably not that easy.

• Ralf__
          Ralf__ commented
          Editing a comment
          Ombugge, that was never mentioned here. I denied that the place is in Northern Europe. That statement is correct, as far as we know now.
          Then i denied that we are in Mediterranian surroundings.
          Yves guessed South West of France, especially between Bordeaux and Biarritz. Which i answered: It is North of Bordeaux at the West Coast.
          I am not struggling with the definition of the borderline between Northern and Southern France, so why do you?

I was wondering about North and South France because South West France was mentioned.
        Never mind, I followed my reasoning in the Comment above and started from the southern end of the coast at the latitude of Bordeaux, at 44 50' North latitude.

Lo and behold, only a short distance up the coat, at 45 00' North, there was something that warranted closer investigation:

With the name of the town, Lacanau Oce'an, a Google image search soon found this one:

That looks like a total match to me? Please confirm and give us your youthful holiday story Ralf.​

PS> You were right, it is north of Bordeaux by a whisker.

Comment

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          This town can lay claim to be half way between Equator and the North Pole.

Perfect solution. Starting the search at Bordeaux does indeed lead very quick to Lacanau.
        I bet Yves included this area to his guess meaning the coast line between the Gironde estuary mouth and the Spanish border.

We spent their twice the summer holidays in our tent on the local camping ground. For me as a child of about 13 it was a real adventure, because we had in both summers strong winds and some tents were blown away. I was very proud of checking the fixations regulary to assure that our tent stood steady and it did. During our second holiday my father had to leave for a week on a business trip and he made the deal with his company that we could stay longer for the same amount of days. My mother was very nervous to spend so much days alone with three little kids (i was the oldest) and no one of us spoke French at that time. I remember that there were thunderstorms the night before my father left. So some of the roads on the way to the Bordeaux airport were blocked and my father rushed with high speed along the detours to catch the plane. And it was really close, they brought him with a van to the plane and the gangway was put in position one more time... There were no cars allowed in the camping area, all cars had to park on a sandy parking lot outside. This parking lot was quite chaotic and the danger to be stucked in the sand was big. So we kids spend some hours each day to guide the coming cars to a save and comfortable space. Of course we earned each time one or two Francs for this service. The money we spent for icecram, softdrinks, at the pinball machine or the football table of the camping site kiosk. It was a wonderful life with lots of money.

Amazing how much the place has changed within 35 years and what they offer today...
        http://www.lesgrandspins.com/fr/

P.S. credits for the picture go to Patrick Miramont, published at Panoramio.

Comment

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          The second picture in my post above from the same source. (Probably seconds apart?)

• Ralf__
          Ralf__ commented
          Editing a comment
          He seems to be a pilot. He published a lot of aerial pictures of this area.

What a lovely story. I can just see the little Ralf (or perhaps not so little!) taking charge of his young siblings and organising them into car park attendants! Then dashing off to liquidise the profits.
        But looking at that website makes you realise how everything is so horribly organised nowadays. You no longer visit a seaside place to get away from the city hubbub, to explore in freedom and allow the children to use their imagination and make up their own adventures. You have to be regimented to enjoy what "amusements" are provided, less, left to yourself, you will be bored and start complaining. I often note that when visiting a historic building, for example, or a nature reserve, or even a restaurant, there is often a so-called adventure playground for the kids. Otherwise they will be fidgeting and running up and down, yelling at their mother even if she is only a few metres away.
        Rant over. But it is one big BAH.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

You are quite right. Things are getting over-organized. This is cleary stopping creativity.

By the way...i forgot to write "Over to you, Ombugge!"

Comment

Then it is my turn again.
            This time something with fire and brimstone in it. Twin volcanos as seen from another:

Where do you find these two and the name of each of the volcanos.
            Clue; one of the twin volcanos are presently active.
            Last edited by ombugge; November 5th, 2014, 05:50.

Comment

Mount Lokon and mount Empung,in Indonesia?

Comment

• ombugge
                ombugge commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes it is. What is the name of the volcano from which this is shot??
                Did I give away too many clues here??

• yvneac
                yvneac commented
                Editing a comment
                If the town located in the valley is Tondano,then the other volcano could be Gunung(?) Muhavu,east from Lokon.

You are right again, it is Gunung (Mounth) Mahawu and the town in between is Tondono, seen here:

These are among the most active volcanos in Indonesia, which is among the most prolific part of the "ring of fire: http://www.volcano.si.edu/volcano.cfm?vn=266100

The pictures are by my oldest son who were trekking in the area at timer of the latest eruption.

Still curious how you managed to solve this one so quickly? In any case., over to you again Yves.
              Last edited by ombugge; November 5th, 2014, 06:54.

Comment

• yvneac
                yvneac commented
                Editing a comment
                No mystery and a bit of chance.I searched in your living area and type "activ twin volcanos".Then appeared a lot of places on a map,so I typed "recent eruptions" in Papua...Indonesia...Quite quickly, I saw a shot of Lokon.
                Now, looking for a new puzzle.

Where can you see this nice tiny bridge?

Comment

In Monet's waterlily garden. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_...9%29-Monet.jpg
                Ivy

Comment

• yvneac
                  yvneac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I'm not amazed you solved it so quickly Ivy.
                  Yes Monet's garden in Giverny it is.A nice place to visit,a bit crowded in summer but peaceful in spring when tulips are in flower.
                  So, waiting for your next puzzle.

I am impressed! Is a copy of that painting in your bedroom?

Comment

• wherrygirl
                  wherrygirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No, Ralf, nor anywhere else in the house either. At first I looked at it and thought - oh crumbs, just a bridge over a pond, could be anywhere. Then wham! Of course! By the way, has someoine done a paint job on it, or has Yves been playing about in Photoshop?

Try this one. Bonus point if you can also get the cargo.

Photograph by Berthold Werner
                Last edited by wherrygirl; November 6th, 2014, 23:56.
                Ivy

Comment

A phosphorus train in Wadi Rum,Jordania?

Comment

Working...
                  X