No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm guessing the Philippines to narrow down the search?
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• ombugge
      ombugge commented
      Editing a comment
      No, not the Philippines.

From the trees, mix of palms and those other types, and the old museum-like stone remains there..., how about just straight forward Singapore?
    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

No, not Singapore either, but we start to narrow it down a bit. (Region-wise that is)
      I do stray a little from Singapore from time to time, but I have not been in this city for many years, except at the airport, that is.
      This is not my own picture, but I don't think it has been published before. At least it cannot be easily identified by using Google Image Search.
      The old buildings are a major clue here, especially for those with a bit of knowledge of colonial styles.

Comment

Well, I've looked into colonial style buildings and museums, but could not identify.
        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          The various Colonial powers brought with them some of their distinct building style to wherever they colonized.
          This can still be clearly seen in old buildings from that era. The British, French, Portuguese, Spanish and Germans all picked their part of the world to rule, and to put their "stamp" on.
          Some times Colonial masters changed in places, thus changing building style was brought in. Malacca is a typical example of this. It was ruled by the Portuguese, Dutch and British during a period of 450 years and buildings from each of those rulers can still be found there.
          This is obviously not Malacca, but if you look at pictures from there, there are clear hints as to the style of each ruler.

For me, this ain't an easy image - even with my thinking hat on!

Can we however narrow it down to EITHER Malaysia or perhaps even Indonesia?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          Perhaps even Indonesia is a good guess.

Thank you. Such a lot of clues. I was searching for buildings of colonian style, but i am confused since i could not find yellow number plates in Indonesia. The building style remembers to the old Batavia buildings in Jakarta, where today the maritime museum is seated. Quite similar, but no yellow number plates... but i vote for Dutch origin.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          Indonesia is a very large country, with over 17,000 islands, of which abt. 6,000 are populated. Several islands are larger than most European countries in area and one has a larger population than any European country. (Java; 143 Mill.)

As for number plates, here is the official list of plates in use:
          CLASSES OF LICENSE PLATES
          There are several classes of license plates, each can be distinguished by their color:
          White on black: the most common type of license plate, this is for normal vehicles owned by citizens.
          Red on white: for vehicles that haven't been registered yet, or for new cars that have no owners yet.
          Black on yellow: for public transportation vehicles, such as buses or taxis.
          White on red: for goverment vehicles.
          Black on white: for vehicles belonging to foreign countries. Commonly used by foreign embassy's or International organizations vehicles. Diplomatic license with CD number plates
          Military, police or fire brigade have their own colors, and usually include their insignia and/or the rank of the officer owning the vehicle.
          There are also other special convention, such as for vehicles used by President, Vice President or other senior government officials.
          Since Indonesia is so large and each province has a large degree of self-government there may be differences from the above in some places.

But you are right, the building style is typical of early Dutch colonial period in Indonesia. (Dutch East Indies)

I'm going to make a wild guess, but this isn't Fort Marlborough, in Bengkulu, by any chance?

Comment

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          No, not Fort Marlborough at Bengkulu.
          As the name indicate this was a British fort and the headquarter for Stamford Raffles when he founded Singapore 1819.
          Sovereignty of Bencoolen was exchanged with the Dutch for that of Malacca in 1824.

This place is distinctly Dutch and of much older origin.

I think now i found it. It should be the foreplace of Fort Rotterdam in the harbour city of Makassar, on the western shore of Sulawesi.

Comment

Yes Ralf it is Fort Rotterdam in Makassar, also known as Unjung Panjang.
          Here is a 360 view of the Fort as it looks today:

It is one of the oldest Forts in Indonesia and was originally constructed by a local King:
          http://fortrotterdam.blogspot.sg/201...rotterdam.html
          But the present building within the fort is of Dutch origin.

OK, back to Ralf for the next one.

PS> Picture taken by my son when he stopped over in Makassar on his way to/from Tana Toraja a few weeks ago.

Comment

That was a nice one! I spend really a while searching with the several clues and was so familiar with the picture that in the end the solution was crystal clear, although the picture i found was from a completely different position. Now, try this one:

Comment

Somewhere near a beach?????

Comment

Somewhere near a Northern European beach I think? Red ambulance - so Germany?
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Beach is correct, Germany not. Normally our ambulances are ivory coloured. Europe is correct, Northern not.

• wherrygirl
                  wherrygirl commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Perhaps it was a British P.O. van on holiday, Mark.

I'll try a guess - makes a change from a well reasoned, carefully investigated, utterly incorrect answer. How about Portoferraio, Elba?

Later; Cyprus?
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I will give a big clue. It is not - as i stated before - in Northern Europe, but you will find the place also not in the Mediterranean surroundings.

OK. Portugal fits those clues. Estoril???

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Portugal is indeed a good guess, but not correct here.

This car could be a French fire brigade one.So I suggest somewhere in South West of France,between Bordeaux and Biarritz????

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yves, you are coming closer, but it is not between Bordeaux and Biarritz.

• yvneac
                  yvneac commented
                  Editing a comment
                  OK.It is a clue for our players.No intrnet connection for me during few days.Have a good time.
              Working...
              X