No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have also tried to look at the shop signs Ralf, but drew the same conclusion you did, resolution not quite high enough. But i can make out mostly English signs, so i am guessing that this is in an area that was once occupied by the Brit's at sometime?

I think i can also make out snow on the higher ground to the left of the picture?

This is indeed an interesting puzzle. I am still thinking along the lines of Afghanistan, maybe the border regions?
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I also noticed English words on the signs. That and the minaret let me also think about India instead of Tibet. For me India fits better... But i need definitely some help.
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
        Is this some sort of clue? Could this be somewhere in a war zone, or maybe near an active volcano? - somewhere that may not be around for much longer, hence, "if I'm not already too late"?

I will try to narrow it down by asking if this place is in Afghanistan?
        I wish I was able to predict volcanic eruptions and earthquakes etc. but I'm afraid that is giving me too much credit.
        It is not Afghanistan, but you are in the right part of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
          I also noticed English words on the signs. That and the minaret let me also think about India instead of Tibet. For me India fits better... But i need definitely some help.
          I am thinking the same thing, India fits much better, I have looked in other areas around Afghan, but i am struggling to find anywhere that uses predominantly the English language on shop signs etc. Pakistan seems to use it's own language letters on signs, but when you come into northern India, English seems much more widely used.

Could this could be a place often visited by foreign visitors - tourists? Towards the centre of the photo it looks like there is a large restaurant/bar with a large outside terrace upstairs? I would guess that this place is fairly high above sea level, if that is snow i can see on top of the hills to the left, then they do not look to be too much higher than this town.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I am thinking the same thing, India fits much better, I have looked in other areas around Afghan, but i am struggling to find anywhere that uses predominantly the English language on shop signs etc. Pakistan seems to use it's own language letters on signs, but when you come into northern India, English seems much more widely used.

Could this could be a place often visited by foreign visitors - tourists? Towards the centre of the photo it looks like there is a large restaurant/bar with a large outside terrace upstairs? I would guess that this place is fairly high above sea level, if that is snow i can see on top of the hills to the left, then they do not look to be too much higher than this town.
            You are closing in very nicely, Steve.

Comment

I think this is Thiksey Gompa in the Ladakh Area in Northern India. It is 3.600 meters high, that explains the near snowy mountains even in summer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thikse_Monastery

Can you confirm that this is right, Ombugge?

Comment

I think this is Thiksey Gompa in the Ladakh Area in Northern India. It is 3.600 meters high, that explains the near snowy mountains even in summer.

Can you confirm that this is right, Ombugge?
                This is actually Leh, the capital of Ladakh, in the Indian state of Kashmir and Jammur. The Thikse Gompa is only 19 km. from there. It is near enough to declare Steve the winner, yet again.

Leh is popular with adventurous tourists, but doesn't feature on the packet tour lists YET. Here is a link to the wikipedia page about Leh: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leh

Since Sigve has deferred from posting, it is back to you again Steve.

Comment

Obviously you mixed up the headers of the posts, so i feel free to feel myself adressed as Steve here...

Just was a bit to fast then, the architecture and especially the red segments of the buildings convinced me to be sure there. O.K. at least almost.

Let's move to another part of the world. Where are we here?

I think this is easy enough to ask for the very exact location.

Comment

Obviously you mixed up the headers of the posts, so i feel free to feel myself adressed as Steve here...
                    OOOps. Sorry about the mix up. I'll endeavour to read the fine print before posting next time.

Comment

Well done Ralf! I was going to have a look around Northern India this morning, but after checking CV this morning i found i had no need to! Nice to see my reasoning was taking me in the right direction on that one.

So, onto your puzzle Ralf, now let's have a look...

Comment

Your photo shows the Southern end of the Canal Saint-Martin in Paris, near to Place de Stalingrad.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canal_Saint-Martin

A combination of 'locks and tunnel' put this on the first page of google images!

That was a surprisingly easy one Ralf, after all your travels you must have some very good material for this thread.

I guess i had best go and find something suitable to post. I find that just as much a challenge as solving them, of the millions of images on the net, i always struggle to find something!

Comment

Now let's see how long this one takes to be solved.

Where will you find this particular building?

Bonus points for giving me the 3 extra points of information:

1 - What was the old nickname of this building? - older members of the community probably still call the building by this name.

2 - What used to be the official name of this building?

3 - What is the name of this building today?

Comment

Your photo shows the Southern end of the Canal Saint-Martin in Paris, near to Place de Stalingrad.

A combination of 'locks and tunnel' put this on the first page of google images!

That was a surprisingly easy one Ralf, after all your travels you must have some very good material for this thread.
                            I must admit, that i did not crosscheck this Google combination! Well done! I thought it would be more difficult to point out Paris. Typical case of underestimation!!

Well, now i have my next exercise...

Comment

Hummmm....not easy. Visiting various blogs and forums about tower buildings gave me no result, let me say here that most forums are not or organised in a chaotic way. What a wonderful organisation do we have!!!

Well: The sign "to let" in the windows is English language, but the road signs give to me the impression that we have traffic here on the right, "the normal side", People look European, but also some coloured people walk there. Not easy, no other sign is readable. No car is visible on this picture... Very difficult.

Is this correct: English speaking people, but traffic on the right side?
                              Last edited by Ralf__; August 4th, 2010, 14:42.

Comment

Hummmm....not easy. Visiting various blogs and forums about tower buildings gave me no result, let me say here that most forums are not or organaised in a chaotic way. What a wonderful organisation do we have!!!

Well: The sign "to let" in the windows is English language, but the road signs give to me the impression that we have traffic here on the right, "the normal side", People look European, but also some coloured people walk there. Not easy, no other sign is readable. No car is visible on this picture... Very difficult.

Is this correct: English speaking people, but traffic on the right side?
                                Ralf, I agree with you that this is not easy.
                                I disagree that the traffic is necessarily driving on the right hand side of the roads as a rule. Maybe this is a one way street with a bicycle lane on the left side?

I have been trying all kinds of combinations with tower, apartment, octagon shaped building and SW England. So far I draw a blank.
                                Steve, we need a hint or a clue here. HELP!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X