What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
    Wild guess: Shimla Railwaystation in the North Indian state of Himachal Pradesh.
    How in the wild world would you be able to guess that? I'm impressed...
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

OOOHHHH. I was hanging too long around in the Darjeeling Train pages "The Toy Train" and checking all stations. Without having effort i checked also the other two Himalayan lines and was just uploading the picture, when you was beating me... but confirmed. It is indeed Shimla station.

Next time i will also first post my wild guess and later confirm... good job, Sterkoder!

Last edited by Ralf__; March 1st, 2010, 17:13.
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

I must be making these far too easy! Yes, you are both indeed correct, Shimla station it is! Well done to you both.

I got that idea from a documentary i have been watching on the BBC about the Indian hill railways. If you ever get the opportunity to watch them, i can totally recommend them. Very interesting indeed.

Well Ralf, you should have put your wild guess in, and Sterkoder, this now means it is back to you once again!
        Last edited by Steve.B; March 1st, 2010, 17:42. Reason: typo
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Next time i will also first post my wild guess and later confirm...
          Well, to be honest, it was not a wild guess at all...., but I had to write something

I don't have one tiny bit of an idea as to what quiz I can post, so in the mean time I guess it's all up to you others to post a new one.
          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

I don't have one tiny bit of an idea as to what quiz I can post, so in the mean time I guess it's all up to you others to post a new one.
            This is the problem i also found, it's harder to find a good puzzle than it is to solve one!

Well, i will not jump in this time, i will wait to see who else can post us a good puzzle with some good clues.
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

How about this famous cruise destination?

With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
              Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Could this be Cozumel...?

Comment

Could this be Cozumel...?
                  How on earth do you do it Sterkoder?, I swear i could take a photograph of the inside of a cave in the middle of nowhere and you would find it!

I simply am stunned that you find these places so quickly, i want to know your secret, i'm wondering if your handing these images out to everyone down your street and offering prizes for the first to find the answer!

Well done again! Jan-Olav will fall off his seat when he see's you have solved that one.
                  Last edited by Steve.B; March 2nd, 2010, 00:07.

Comment

How on earth do you do it Sterkoder?
                    To use a famous fraze from the motion picture 'Top Gun' :
                    -"I could tell you, but then I'd had to kill you..."

No, no, seriously;
                    I could very well be way off in the next quiz (or this, for that matter). I'll tell you how I do it in a little while, but for now, let's continue to have some fun
                    Last edited by Sterkoder; March 2nd, 2010, 08:37.

Comment

but for now, let's continue to have some fun
                      Totally agree, but have you thought of a good one to get us all thinking yet? You cannot get away with it forever!

But i suppose we had better wait for the Captain to confirm your answer before we carry on. (Just to keep the records straight!)

Comment

Ok, I admit...., easy from me:
                        Famous harbour, where?? (A little helping hand: the picture is taken at time about 13:00 hours)
                        Last edited by Sterkoder; March 2nd, 2010, 23:51.

Comment

Now i am guessing that you know what time the photo was taken because of the HSC being in port?

Ok, now i will admit to being a bit dumb on this one, i searched through the HSC thread noting down HSC destinations, then went looking on Google Earth, did not get me anywhere. Then it occurred to me, ummm, could Sterkoder have really made it that simple? So i went to look at Kristiansund, and guess what i found!

At a very very wild guess, i think this might be Kristiansund!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                            Now i am guessing that you know what time the photo was taken because of the HSC being in port?

Ok, now i will admit to being a bit dumb on this one, i searched through the HSC thread noting down HSC destinations, then went looking on Google Earth, did not get me anywhere. Then it occurred to me, ummm, could Sterkoder have really made it that simple? So i went to look at Kristiansund, and guess what i found!

At a very very wild guess, i think this might be Kristiansund!
                            That's what I call; "keeping it close to home".

Comment

I am in the process of thinking up another location, will try to find something that will stay a mystery slightly longer than my other puzzles. Though to be honest, i really was very impressed at how quickly they were solved! The power of the internet, can you imagine how many hours at the library it would have taken to solve those puzzles 20 years ago?

Anyway, i shall post another shortly.

Comment

I am still working on a really interesting puzzle, so in the meantime i shall test you all with this strange looking place.

So where on earth would you have found these strange looking things? I say 'would', because i believe that they were finally demolished about two years ago, having lain derelict for many years.

Can you identify this location?

Comment

Working...
                                X