No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to google "football carved on church in Germany" with no luck, but some scary and some funny gargoyles came up.
    Changing "church" to "cathedral" and the first picture that came up was this:

Identified as the famous Cologne Cathedral and with this explanation for the existence of footballers as part of the decoration:
    Many of the figures on the walls up here - invisible from the ground - are far from sacred. Some are self-portraits of the stoneworkers themselves; one carving even commemorates the 1966 World Cup.

Comment

Congratulations! You solved the World Cup puzzle! This is the humor of the people out of my birth town, they did it the same year i was born there. Over to you, Ombugge!
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

My turn again. OK, where are we now???:

Comment

Can't see anything on the screen on the right side.
          A airport in China?Or Korea?

Comment

Wherever it is it has a Starbucks! It speaks of "berths". To me that means ship or long-distance train. But what is there to make this scene identifiable, different from any other similar departure point in that part of the world?
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Possibly Shanghai - Hongqiao raliway station?
              Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
              Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Yves; In China, not in Korea. (No Korean writing anyplace)

Wherrygirl; Not much to identify this one by, so let me tel you that it is a busy Ferry Terminal and not in Shanghai.
                Pictures from here has featured in the HSC thread earlier, but then obviously concentrating on the ferries that call there.

Comment

Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Terminal ?

Comment

No not the HK-Macau ferry terminal, but you are demned close.

Comment

So let's go to terminal ferries in Hong Kong.
                      HK China Terminal Ferry.

Comment

Let me clarify; there are several ferry terminals in HK. At least three have ferries to/from Macau and China mainland.
                        Which one is this??

Comment

• yvneac
                          yvneac commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It seems one of the main terminals is TUEN MUN ferry terminal......
                          Where you can have your coffee at Starbucks.

• ombugge
                          ombugge commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not Tuen Mun. Keep searching, there are not too many more options.

I don't mean to hijack this thread too badly but this seemed like the most appropriate place. What is this area and ship in Shanghai?

Comment

• ombugge
                          ombugge commented
                          Editing a comment
                          So, you are planning a visit to China, incl. Shanghai???

• pilotdane
                          pilotdane commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Probably a trip to Shanghai in September for about 10 days but I will not know for certain until early July. My wife may have a conference at a university just north of the city and I'm thinking of going to keep her company . She is not into ships so I will do my ship spotting while I am on my own and she is working.

• pilotdane
                          pilotdane commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Someone from the university in Shanghai is visiting so I got some general information. This location used to be a ship yard but is now a multi use pavilion. Where the ship is in this photo is now a large water feature with fountains.

As it's not HK Macau or HK China,it must be HK Inrtnational Airport.

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                          As it's not HK Macau or HK China,it must be HK Inrtnational Airport.
                          You are right. The Ferry Terminal at HK International Airport it is!!!
                          This is where you can get ferries to Macau, Shekou and several other places in the Pearl River Delta without leaving the air-conditioned comfort of the airport.

Over to you again,Yves.
                          Last edited by ombugge; June 20th, 2014, 04:45.

Comment

No Net access before next week.So the game is open to anybody.

Comment

Working...
                            X