What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yes thats correct Ralf,over to you.
    the most welknown city there is Remagen.
    i take this image last Friday when i had load in Koblenz,and was driving back to Antwerp.
    best regards Thijs

Comment

I had the feeling it was near Koblenz! I was on the track, but not on the spot!
      Regards; Sigve.
      ---
      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

yes,and i was thinking this was a hopeless image for the puzzle,because there was nothing special to see on it.
        how Ralf found out it was ''this'' bridge i don't know.
        but that you was already on the right track,thats surprised me.
        best regards Thijs

Comment

• Sigve
          Sigve commented
          Editing a comment
          Well, you know, we norwegians are quite clever.
          But you said; there were two ques to the location in the picture. What were they?

the mountains,holland is flat so that could be it,we have some hills in the south,but that's it.
        and the poles on the side of the road the white pole with the dioginal black stripe over it,but i think that this was was not that easy to reconise
        best regards Thijs

Comment

• Ralf__
          Ralf__ commented
          Editing a comment
          I've driven the A61 very often and will again next Tuesday on my way to Thijs, so my first guess was also this area, knowing his driving districts.
          This kind of sky we have with Western winds, so Northbound was clear, the picture taken in the afternoon (shadows).
          You can spot a sign announcing an exit on the opposite lane, so it must have been near an exit (here Nr.32, Niederzissen).
          Next step was to find a bridge curving to the right Northbound on the A61 near Koblenz on Google Earth.

In the first moment i read VINKbachtalbrücke and thought, this was also a clue. Later i realised that the correct writing is VINXT.
          Will think about a puzzle.

Now where can you find this building?

Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Coast-like building. Statue of officer, presumably air force. Has something to do with WWII, along the British Channel somewhere, I would guess on the British side.
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---

Comment

• Ralf__
            Ralf__ commented
            Editing a comment
            Oooops! If we are serious, there is no right guess at all!
            No coast building. No officer, No air force, No relation to WWII, not even near the British Channel and far away from the British side.
            I am sorry.

• Sigve
            Sigve commented
            Editing a comment
            Well, well, it was a good try....

• Ralf__
            Ralf__ commented
            Editing a comment
            Try to think in the opposite direction.
            No coast, but....
            No war, but....
            No latin language, but....

Opposite direction....South hemisphere?

No coast but....A lake?

Comment

• Ralf__
            Ralf__ commented
            Editing a comment
            No, no stay in the Nothern hemisphere. Not near the sea, a lake or a river...

Well with that many aerials on the top they're listening to something - or they watch a lot of TV.
          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• ombugge
            ombugge commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe operated by NSA????

What do we know so far??
          We are not in Britain or near the English Channel, but in the opposite direction from there, but not along any coastline, which means inland and to the East.
          Based on the vegetation seen here we are fairly far north of the English Channel, or at a high altitude, or maybe a bit of both?
          The statue has the inscription TGM on the bust itself. The smaller script lower down is too small to read.

Comment

Is there a link with railways?

Could it be in America?

Comment

Polo has seen the large number of antennas and similar thingies. But it is more used as a good place to send (and receive).
              Ombugge has seen some very good points. Vegetation, more high as North. Inland and East is correct. Who was "TGM"?
              Yves: No. No railway link and not in America.
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Well, the first president of Czechoslovakia was Tomas Garrigue Masaryk.
                Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Good! You are getting closer. No officer, the statue of a president. Go ahead....

Russia?looking at the plates with words,weird words
                best regards Thijs

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Why should the Russians place a statue of the 1st President of the Czechoslovakian Republic in front of a house?

The house must have something to do with Masaryk, his birthplace or something like that. But where I don't know and I haven't had the time to investigate, well I just found out that he was born in Hodonin, Moravia..
                Regards; Sigve.
                ---

Comment

• Ralf__
                  Ralf__ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You already have some clues about the position (altitude, antennas, nationality), i don't think the way to the solution is so far.
                  What could motivate the mountain bikers in the right corner to spend a visit there?

• Sigve
                  Sigve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  "Masaryk was a Neo-Kantian, but he was also strongly influenced by the English puritan ethics and the austere teaching of the Hussites. At the same time, he showed a critical interest in the self-contradictions of capitalism—e.g., in his first major work, a study of suicide as a mass phenomenon of modern civilization." (Encyclopedia Britannica). (PSS: Nothing to do with the puzzle)

I searched for "Mazaryks mountain lodge" and then found this:

Regards; Sigve.
                ---

Comment

Working...
                X