No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thijs, you are very close, but i can't confirm that there is a Arla cheesefactory in Stoholm. Try to research more exact to find out and describe the correct location.
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

You mean they have rock caves in Denmark?? OK, if so I guess Samso, since that is my favourit Danish cheese.

PS> It appears that Samso doesn't have caves, but there are some in Monsted in central Jutland: http://www.moldova.org/denmark-dairy-recalls-cheese-after-rats-detected-in-storage-cave-23018-eng/

Comment

Bingo!

We will spend a visit there in summer, because we rented a Ferjehus nearby. Then i will have own pictures.

Here is the homepage with video:
        http://www.monsted-kalkgruber.dk/en

Here is the gallery, where you can also find the puzzle picture:
        http://www.monsted-kalkgruber.dk/en/gallery

I think, you and Thijs solved the puzzle 50/50, Thijs was already in the right village, because Monsted belogs to Stoholm. So discuss, who wants to post the next puzzle.
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          No need to discus. Thijs, you have the honour.
          I only checked for cheese caves in Denmark and came up with an article about rats.

See the tyre marks where Thijs tried to squeeze the Highway Cruiser into the caves!
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post

But no, this place is not in (or below) Germany.
          haha i love your hint,now i know it is in Denmark.

give me a while,don't have one right now,but wil look for it.
          best regards Thijs

Comment

okey,where is this mill?

best regards Thijs

Comment

Ah, this is de Eenhoom te Lillo mill, Antwerp province, Belgium. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:A_...gmolen_07W.JPG Google says that Eenhoorn translates as unicorn.
              I wondered why it has that name and found this page about the mill:
              http://www.antwerpen.be/eCache/ABE/8...4MDM0MTUy.html
              Google translates the explanation: "David Gijsen, one of the owners of the mill, was a chemist at the Antwerp Corn Market, where the sign "The Unicorn" was hanging. This lends its name to the mill. Popularly, it is also called the white mill because it is chalked in white."
              I had a hunch the mill would be in Belgium as you were in Antwerp recently, and you thought you'd lead us astray, making us hunt all over the Netherlands.
              I noticed that all the Belgian mills near Antwerp that I looked at had the bar of the sails painted red, white and blue.
              Ivy

Comment

• Ralf__
                Ralf__ commented
                Editing a comment
                Aaah, the thread is speeding up again: A new puzzle is placed and solved before i managed to have even a glimpse on it. Well done, Ivy. What will be next?

and i was even thinking not to place this one,because it's just a mill.
              and nothing to see more than that.
              i have taken this one some months ago,with the intention to use it for this thread.
              but it was tooooooooooo easy.
              best regards Thijs

Comment

It was only because I saw that you had been to Antwerp that I thought you'd choose a Belgian mill on purpose. We would probably not think of Belgium until after we had spent months hunting all over the Netherlands! So it was just a guess on my part and I was lucky to find that actual mill on Wiki. Good one, Thijs.
                Ivy

Comment

hahaha,you know me to well
                  best regards Thijs

Comment

I'm sorry, in a way, that I jumped on this one so quickly, because we could all have had such an interesting trawl through the Netherlands and would have ended up being experts on Dutch windmills and their design. Thijs would have sat back chuckling to himself as we wandered!
                    However, have a try at this one, and I can say for a start that it is in neither the Netherlands nor Belgium! Where is this, and a bonus if the finder can say what it represents

Photograph by Taguelmoust
                    Last edited by wherrygirl; April 14th, 2014, 10:53.
                    Ivy

Comment

Off the cuff; Tropic of Cancer and somewhere in the Arab world.

Comment

Tropic of Cancer? Well, that particular place isn't on that Tropic but you are in the right area. As to Arab, I honestly cannot say. After all, as Professor Joad would say, what do you mean by Arab? It seems to be quite an ethnic mix in that country, but I think you could say that of Arabs generally.
                        Ivy

Comment

It is la Flamme de la Paix (monument for Peace) erected in 1996 in Tombouctou,Mali to commenorate the end of the Touaregs's war.
                          Though this country is still in war....

Comment

Spot on, Yves. To mark the end of the Tuareg rebellion in Mali 3000 weapons were burnt at a ceremony in Timbuktu in 1996. The monument "The Flame of Peace" was erected in 2007 in commemmoration. But yes, it is a sad, despairing history throughout and in actual fact the warring continues.
                            So, over to you for the next voyage of exploration!
                            Ivy

Comment

Working...
                            X