No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think this is Puncak Jaya, located in the Sudirman Range. Height, 4884 m.

Puncak Jaya is the tallest peak in the Oceania region and the second highest in SE Asia. It is also the highest island peak in the world.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
      I think this is Puncak Jaya, located in the Sudirman Range. Height, 4884 m.

Puncak Jaya is the tallest peak in the Oceania region and the second highest in SE Asia. It is also the highest island peak in the world.
      Yes it is Puncak Jaya, or Carstensz Pyramid, in the province of Papua, Indonesia. I thought this one was going to prove difficult, since few associates Indonesia with glaciers.
      I expected you to chase around in the Himalayas, Hindu Kutch, or the Tamir Mountains for quite a while, before even considering Indonesia.

The worlds richest copper and gold mine is "just down the hill" from there, at 4500 m. It is operated by PT Freeport McMoran Indonesia. Here is a link to the Wikipedia page; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grasberg_mine
      Construction of the mine was quite a challenge, due to the height, the terrain below and the remoteness of the area.

I was at Campsite 1, near what is today the port of Amamapare in 1969, delivering supplies from Australia.
      At the time everything was transported by landing crafts from there to Campsite 2, abt 40 km. further inland. From there it was transported by Helicopters to the town site, (now the modern town of Timika) From there it was transported further up the mountainside to the processing site and mine site either by temporary roads, or by helicopter.

The people living in the lowlands is of the Asmat tribe and they were not too friendly to outsiders. They shot arrows at the landing crafts moving in the river. They are also believed to have killed and eaten one of the Rockefeller family only a few years earlier; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Rockefeller

The Asmats are known for their woodcarving skills. I still have a collection of wood carvings and authentic bow and arrows, stone axes, headgear made from "gusgus" skin, a necklace made from Boar teeth and shells, food pouch, and a penis tube and straw skirt, which was still their only attire at the time.

This was bartered for some trading tobacco and other items that the locals craved, like sunglasses and - of all things - a watch. (Why they wanted a watch is a bit of a mystery, since they had no concept of time)

I tried out the bow and arrow, but not very successfully. (the arrow fell down only a few meters away), so one of the Asmats demonstrated how it was done. He shot an arrow into a tree and down came a kakatua with an arrow through it.

Well, that was a bit personal background for picking this picture.
      Now it is back to you Steve.
      Last edited by ombugge; July 16th, 2010, 18:39.

Comment

I've no hope of ever ID-ing anything on this thread but I often have a browse. This time I struck gold, thoroughly enjoyed your account of your visit there, Ombugge. Can't you find a way to do a crafty insert for other places - I'm sure you'd have lots to say about many of those on this thread! It wouldn't be going OT at all, but would add to the enjoyment of the scene.
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

So it always pays to go armed with tobacco and sunglasses And i am having strange visions of arrows bouncing off landing crafts, that's a new one on me, we had a fishing boat bounce of our landing craft once, but never any arrows!

I did read about the mines earlier on, and was going to mention them, but i had to rush my reply because i had to go out.

After getting side tracked by some similar black rocks in Canada, i decided that seeing it was one of Ombugge's puzzle, i really should throw the name Indonesia into the pot, i didn't think tropical Indonesia would have any, but i thought i should rule it out anyway. So i was not only very pleased when i spotted some similar rock formations, i was also rather relieved, relieved because i did not have a clue on where to look next!

Right, let's see what i can find for the next one.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Ok, does anyone recognise this place?

Which Place is This?

Comment

Before I go looking for Lighthouses in the UK, I'll throw in a bit more about Papua and the Freeport mine.
              Here is another view of the glaciers in the area, which is said to be on the verge of disappearing, since there is no longer any snowfall to replenish what melts away:

A view of the Grasberg open pit mine, which is now well over a mile wide:

The copper, gold and silver concentration in the rock is said to be the highest of any mine in the world, yet millions of cubic meter of tailings are dumped into the river and eventually end up in the delta below.

An Asmat Warrior in full war regalia:

The elaborate headgear is made from the skin of the larges mammal that is native to the area, the "gusgus", or tree kangaroo. This sub-tribe doesn't appear to wear any necklace or nose decoration made from Boar bone.

Here is another flock of well decorated Warriors of lowland dwelling Asmats:

This picture says that this is another fearsome band of Asmat tribesmen:

Frankly, these looks more like highlanders to me.

Other famous tribes living in the highlands are the Dani and Lani. This is some good looking men and women of the Dani tribe:

They were among the last major tribes to be discovered by the Dutch.

Finally, an example of Asmat wood carving skills:

I have one depicting a women feeding her baby to the Crocodile good. My wife NEVER allowed that one to be displayed anywhere in the house.

I spent 3 years mainly trading on the island of New Guinea, first from Australia to what was then the Australian protectorate of Papua New Guinea.
              Later between Singapore and what was then the newly liberated Indonesia province of Irian Barat. (Formerly Dutch New Guinea, until 1963)
              It is still an area where some tribes live in virtual stone age conditions, while there are air strips and roads being built into their territory.
              Off the tourist maps, except for the most adventurous and a few dive resort near Sorong, which is said to have the best underwater experience in the world.

I used to snorkel and dive on the reef outside Biak and watch it die in a matter of less than two years. Mainly from a very fast influx of new settlers from Java and Madura. They brought with them Dynamite and Cyanide fishing methods, which doesn't just kill the fish but the corals as well. At the same time the Starfish was brought in, probably in ballast water from Australia.
              Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 16:18. Reason: Add picture

Comment

A very much appreciated illustrated article Ombugge.
                (Who need National Geographic magazine when we can have it all from our own CV family members. )

Comment

Good, Ombugge has taken notice of what I said! More when appropriate, please.
                  Ivy

Comment

This is the Hurst Point Low Lighthouses at the entrance to the Solent and The Needles. These two structures are placed inside Hurst Castle itself.

Here is a couple more pictures of these now disused lighthouses.
                    First from inside the Castle walls:

Very similar angle as Steve's original

Then as seen from outside the Castle walls:

How did I solve this one?
                    First of all it looked English and it was posted by Steve, so I started looking at Trinity House list of lighthouses in SW England.
                    When I got to two towers built as part of a Castle wall, it was just a question of finding images that matched the original.
                    Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 16:20.

Comment

You made that sound so easy! But you are of course correct.

I would give a more detailed account of the castle, but i have to rush out for an hospital appointment that is a two hour drive away, so apologies to Ivy, i shall endeavor to write something up later.

In the meantime it's back to you Ombugge. And lets hope that this time someone else gets the correct answer to the next puzzle. I am sure other members must have some good puzzles lined up.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                        You made that sound so easy! But you are of course correct.

I would give a more detailed account of the castle, but i have to rush out for an hospital appointment that is a two hour drive away, so apologies to Ivy, i shall endeavor to write something up later.

In the meantime it's back to you Ombugge. And lets hope that this time someone else gets the correct answer to the next puzzle. I am sure other members must have some good puzzles lined up.
                        Yes, this shouldn't be a two horse race.
                        We need some fresh blood in here, so I'll put this one in the hope that somebody else gets it quickly:

Where in the world is this???
                        Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 16:21.

Comment

Could we be in the United Arab Emirates this time?
                          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                            Could we be in the United Arab Emirates this time?
                            Not in the UAE. The colour of the sand dunes are not right for UAE.
                            I don't think the picture has been "enhanced" in any way, at least not colour-wise.

That was first hint.

Comment

That colour! Perhaps Oz?
                              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                                That colour! Perhaps Oz?
                                Not Oz!! That narrows it down a bit

Comment

Working...