No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i had look at the abandend thread,because i do remember seeing this building somewhere here.
    but it wassn't there,and no time to look in another thread.
    best regards Thijs

Comment

Luster (or Lyster) in Sogn og Fjordane - but don't think that Ivy has got away with this one! You found the solution Ivy - just took a tiny bit of Googling to find the name.

If we're right - then it's definitely Wherrygirl's go again!!
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

damn you got it for me.

best regards Thijs

Comment

I knew this was too easy. Maybe it's called Overlook sanatorium, but the real name is Harastølen, built in 1902 as a tuberculosis sanatorium. Between the wars it was used as a psychiatric asylum, in the 90-ties a centre for asylum seekers. For some years now, the buildings has just lapsed, and one doesn't know what to do with it. It has been tried to have night wanderings with guide there (scary, don't you think?). One option is to blow it up. It's situated in Luster, high over the Lustrafjorden, an arm of Sognefjorden, going north to Skjolden.
          Regards; Sigve.
          ---
          IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

yes i saw the name is harastolen but google earth can't find it that way,even with extra names as Bergen,because it was in the neighberhood.
            what surprised me was that there is still power there,atleast at the images,and chairs desk ectectect are dust free.so is there still sme maintenamce ?
            but more photographers would tell the name,i have surch through many pages untill i found luster and to found the place at GE.
            but just to late.
            best regards Thijs

Comment

I agree, Ivy got there first, although with a different name from the official.
              Let's see what she can come up with to challenge us during this festive season.

Comment

Well, Sigve has not actually made the decision to hand the baton over to me, but as two of you have agreed, I will take and run with it. Thank you. It seems that it was only a matter of minutes between us. I spent little time on Sigve's puzzle, just looked, stuck a few keywords in Google and it came up straight away amongst many others. But everywhere I checked after that, time and again, it was called the Overlook Sanatorium, so I left it there.
                Stand by.
                Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Well, have a try at this. As is my wont, I look for some place that none of us know, in a country that none of us have visited or lived in. So all members start on a level playing field. I don't envy anyone who has lived here! Apart from finding its location, what is special about it? The blanked out bit is its name, of course!

Photographer: Becker0804
                  Last edited by wherrygirl; January 4th, 2014, 13:05. Reason: Attributed photographer
                  Ivy

Comment

First guess. Mongolia???

Comment

Looks like some yak monument?
                      Regards; Sigve.
                      ---
                      IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

• Sigve
                        Sigve commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Or rather: The Alpine ibex (Capra ibex), also known as the steinbock, is a species of wild goat that lives in the mountains of the European Alps?

No, not Mongolia, Ombugge, nor the European Alps, Sigve. They could well be yak horns, though that is only supposition on my part.
                      Ivy

Comment

Not Mongolia, which is one of the countries I haven't been to yet??

Well then we have to look at what can be deducted from the picture;
                        It is obviously somewhere with winter and I suspect very cold winters at that.
                        The prominent feature is the two horns, or are they tusks? If so, maybe Mammoth tusks??
                        Those assumptions probably put us in Siberia, where well preserved Woolly Mammoths remains have been found recently: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...yo-woolly.html

So, somewhere in Siberia??

Comment

i thought about that too Ombugge,nothing came up,or i used the wrong words,you use tusks,i used tooths (monument).
                          tried also whale bones (monument),and found something formiluar.but non that like at Ivy's puzzle.
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

Big place, Siberia, generally thought of as the cold, northern part of Asia. As you are not specific, and according to my definition at the beginning of this post, I can safely say yes to that assumption. And yes, they could be mammoth tusks, considering the size. But the tusks are a help only in directing you to possible locations of the puzzle pic., the correct one of which you now have. So, their task done, don't worry too much about them now.
                            By the way, I was mistaken in thinking that the blanked out strip conceals the name of the place. It doesn't.
                            Ivy

Comment

Aha, searching "the coldest places on earth" did it: http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/cli...hoyansk-russia

Not a nice place in more ways than one:
                              http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...ia-region.html

Comment

Working...
                              X