• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trek Salkantay,en route to Machu Pichu?

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
      Trek Salkantay,en route to Machu Pichu?
      You got it. One of the route that can take you to Machu Pichu, but not the easiest one: http://www.salkantay.org/
      Our oldest son will always take the most difficult option when he is out trekking.

It is back to you Yves.

Comment

sorry.Since I will be mostly without connection during Xmas vacations,I pass my turn.Anybody interrested?

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
          sorry.Since I will be mostly without connection during Xmas vacations,I pass my turn.Anybody interrested?
          Since nobody else take up the challenge I'll post a stop gap Puzzle:

Where in the world do you find this place???

Comment

I think that is a dirigible mast, isn't it? If so, it's not Vadsø.
            Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
            Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• wherrygirl
              wherrygirl commented
              Editing a comment
              It doesn't look like Ny-Alesund, Spitzbergen, either.

You are right both times, it is not Vardo and not Ny-Aalesund.

PS> It is also not a dirigible mooring mast.
            Last edited by ombugge; December 23rd, 2013, 15:26. Reason: Add PS

Comment

OK, that probably makes it a radio/TV transmitter. Is it elsewhere in Norway?
              Last edited by wherrygirl; December 23rd, 2013, 19:39.
              Ivy

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                OK, that probably makes it a radio/TV transmitter. Is it elsewhere in Norway?
                Yes elsewhere in Norway, but not a TV/Radio or Communication mast. (Such facilities are normally placed on top of mountains to increase coverage area/range)

Comment

I'm wondering if we're not a lot nearer home for you? At least somewhere in Møre og Romsdal?
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised if this was somewhere near Ålesund; Vigra/Valderøy or Sula/Langevåg/Mauseidvåg. It looks very familiar.
                    Regards; Sigve.
                    ---
                    IF I WIN IN LOTTO, I COULD GO EVERYWHERE. WITH FRAM....

Comment

You are both very right, somewhere not too far from Aalesund, but not that close. (depending on your perception of distance)

Comment

Oh, off course, it's Brattvåg!
                        Regards; Sigve.
                        ---

Comment

• ombugge
                          ombugge commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes it is Brattvaag, as seen a couple of days ago, with strong wind and heavy rain most of the time.

The Drilling Derrick is still in place at what was Brattvaag Hydraulic AS, now part of Rolls Royce Marine.
                          It was used to test out hydraulic Drawworks being developed for the Offshore drilling industry back in the 1990s to replace the DC-motor driven US made Drawworks and Mud Pumps, which was normal on all rigs at the time.

A/C Generators were commonly used for power production, thus SCRs were needed to convert the current to DC for the drilling equipment. Using A/C driven Hydraulic pumps did away with the need for SCRs.

It was not a success, since Variable Frequency Converters and A/C motors became the norm when Aker Maritime and Hydralift in Kristiansand became the leading producers of high end drilling equipment. Only one sets were sold to a Norwegian Oil company and tested out on a drilling rig placed permanently on a production platform. (Oseberg A as far as I can remember) I don't think any was ever installed on a mobile rig.

It means that we will be getting a "julenott" from Sigve, I hope???

Where in the world do we find this once so majestic building? Merry Christmas to everybody in the CV Family!

Regards; Sigve.
                        ---

Comment

Somewhere in Norway, presumably?
                          In fact, the Overlook sanatorium. see http://www.mikec.se/OutOfBounds/12_Overlook/
                          Ivy

Comment

The Overlook sanatorium is much photographed but I cannot locate it within Norway, other than that it is on a mountain-top overlooking a fjord. Which description applies to quite a bit of Norway, methinks. But the link I give above is very interesting. Maybe one of you Norwegian members will do better and locate it more precisely, thereby winning the prize!
                            Ivy

Comment

Working...
                            X