• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easy.You say.
    Well,it's not Iceland or Sahara.
    Doesn't look like Monte Carlo either.
    Somewhere in South America?

Comment

Looks like the view from an airplane window when coming in to land at Kai Tak in Hong Kong in the early 1970s.
      (Zoomed in though)

Comment

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        In that case we are looking at the Walled City in Kowloon.

Absolutely Ombugge - but actually taken from the ground - I believe (I can't entirely remember!) it was from the old Airport Hotel at Kai Tak.

I seem to recall that the Project Manager was feeling a little guilty about the particular tasking he'd sent me on, to a train factory on the mainland, and therefore didn't argue when I said that I wanted to stay at the Regal Airport instead of downtown. I haven't a clue what that part of town looks like these days since the closure of the airport.

It was one of my photos (a scan of a negative from the 1990s) - I have to admit to a minor bit of Photoshopping - the original gave it away somewhat.

(Incidentally, apologies to Yves for not having spotted your very sensible suggestion of a couple of days ago).

Over to you Ombugge!
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

That was my first though as i saw this picture today. It could just as well have been from Dhaka, Calcutta or several other big cities in South Asia, even today,

The Walled City in Kowloon is no more, it was demolished in 1993/94. Here is the Wikipedia page about the place: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_Walled_City
        I did walk past it many times in the early 1970s when I was working in Hong Kong for a few months. It was not advisable to actually enter the narrow alleyways that separated the tall buildings, but I did peek into some of them. Not a very nice place to live and work.

The HK Police left the place alone as it was regarded as PRC territory, but with no PRC control. Only the Triads kept some sort of "justice" going, although rough.
        The Hong Kong of that time and the Hong Kong you see today is miles apart, rhetorically speaking.

Now I have to see what I can come up with to challenge you lot. It may take some time as I will be busy the next few days,
        If anybody have a puzzle ready, please feel free.

Comment

Here is a new Puzzle for you to try:

Where is this caravan struggling along???

Comment

First thing I wonder is about the load.Barrels..but what is there in it?

A kind of special traffic near a border?

Maybe Afganistan?

Comment

Not Afghanistan!!
              What is in the barrels??? Sorry, that is a state secret and cannot be exposed in open forums.
              In other words, I don't know for sure. Your guess is as good as mine.

Comment

Not sure but the muleteer seems to have a Tibetan hat.Nepal?

Comment

Sorry, not Nepal or Tibet, or anywhere near there. Widen the search somewhat.

Comment

the mountains of the Andes?
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

Yes it is in the Andes, but where??

Comment

Parque national Huascaran in Peru? Maybe Llamacorral point,3760 meters?

Comment

Not accurate, but you are closing in nicely.

Comment

Pass of Punta Union in Cordillera Blanca?

Comment

Not Cordillera Blanca.
                              You are approaching, but still on the wrong trekk.

Comment

Working...
                              X