No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps Hownes Gill Viaduct, west of Consett, County Durham? See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Ho...ll_viaduct.jpg
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Yes, spot on. I haven't a clue why it's in the Company archive, other than it's in a part of the world where the signalling traditionally came from Westinghouse. Just thought it was an impressive structure.

As it says on the Wikipedia link, it's still there, but doesn't carry a railway any more - it is a cycle path and footpath, but has developed a tragic reputation as a suicide hotspot.

So Ivy - back to you for the next one!
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by PoloUK View Post
        Yes, spot on. I haven't a clue why it's in the Company archive, other than it's in a part of the world where the signalling traditionally came from Westinghouse. Just thought it was an impressive structure.
        You've answered the question I was going to ask, Mark, i.e. why is it in your archives? I wondered whether it was something to do with the signalling aspect. Either way it's certainly very impressive, and so are all the others I've been trawling through, many still bearing rail traffic. And with so many old rail tracks being converted to footpaths these unused viaducts are an ideal linking addition. Think of the views! There was one site which took you through all the river crossings in the N.E. and it was fascinating. Mind you, having exhausted every viaduct on every river up there I was no nearer. But I didn't think there was water down at the bottom of that steep narrow valley, unless it was a little trickle hidden amongst the trees.
        Yet despite hunting everywhere, you'll never guess how, in the end, I quickly found it. Your last words confirming my thoughts about it being a dry valley stung me into action. Thinking it would never work I fed something like "Dry valley viaduct" into Google. There it was, the second item in the list.
        It just shows..... something!
        Many thanks for a really interesting trawl, anyway.
        Ivy

Comment

i forgot the hint,that it was on the right side of the UK,i drawed a line of 120 km round wihtby,surch for railroad bridges with arches and my ''solution'' looks almost good,but sadly is ''almost good'' also wrong.
          best regards Thijs

Comment

But Thijs, so many of the photos of various viaducts certainly did look "almost good". We could not know the age of Mark's photo except that it was still used for rail traffic, nor the age of all the photos on the web. And had the trees and bushes grown out of recognition since, or been cleared? It was a good choice, because it gave us so many viaducts to juggle with! One thing I did notice on the pillars was that on the front of each one was a slender vertical layer of stone standing proud of the face (protruding). I kept peering at each wretched viaduct looking for this until I almost had my nose on the screen!
            Ivy

Comment

Well, try this one: where is it and what is special about it?

The photograph is by Henry
              Last edited by wherrygirl; November 18th, 2013, 13:16.
              Ivy

Comment

Two questions Ivy.
                Is it one of your own photos?

Are we in Europe?

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
                  But Thijs, so many of the photos of various viaducts certainly did look "almost good".
                  no i just found a few,and my ''solution'' came close to it,al the others where so differend,not even close.
                  but this one had also those ''çolored'' pieces,which i thought it was those vertical layer.

best regards Thijs

Comment

Two answers, Yves: no and no.
                    I always have to go back and add the note about photo crediting, because I never remember to put it on when posting. I will do it now.
                    Ivy

Comment

Me think this could be an old mine site somewhere in the Andes. Maybe northern Chile??

Comment

The thinking is correct, but not the location, Ombugge.
                        Ivy

Comment

Then not northern Chile but another part of Chile?
                          And what about south America?

Comment

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
                            Then not northern Chile but another part of Chile?
                            Not Chile.
                            And what about south America?
                            What about it?
                            Oh all right then, not south America.
                            Ivy

Comment

Wrong end of America. I guess this is Kennecott Copper Mine in Alaska: http://www.preservationnation.org/is...ott-mines.html

Here one more picture:

Comment

Ombugge, you're too quick on the draw. Excellent.
                                Back to you, then.
                                You didn't answer the second question, but Kennecott, in Alaska, is one of many American ghost towns.
                                Ivy

Comment

Working...
                                X