Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

...and there she will use Comment...
    Well done Ralf
    Yes, because it is OT, nothing to do with solving the puzzle, so will not matter. So do not crow, my friends.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• Ralf__
      Ralf__ commented
      Editing a comment
      So we learn that we have to use Comment only when we are OT.
      Aye, lady! ....and i learn that i am not able to use smileys in a Comment.

I want to post that smiley so i try it this way: So we learn that we have to use Comment only when we are OT.
    Aye, lady!
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
      So we learn that we have to use Comment only when we are OT.
      Aye, lady!
      Oh dear, he's off again!.
      I'll spell it out very carefully. A plea for this thread only.

This is a puzzle thread and we need to see each post as it could be vitally important. OK?
      When looking at the CVF Index page Comments do not appear, only Reply posts. This has been mentioned before, by others. OK?
      So puzzle enthusiasts might then look at the Latest Activity panel at the right hand side to see if there is a puzzle thread Comment there. OK?
      If there is no sign of one, they may scroll down and down and down to search for a Comment on the puzzle thread. Then get tired of searching and do something else. OK?
      BUT, maybe if they had scrolled just a little, little bit further, that vital Comment containing priceless information might have appeared. But they never saw it. OK?
      So they go on searching without knowing that they are on completely the wrong track. Boo-hoo. OK?

Hence my simple request, repeating one made by Steve a while ago, is for we puzzlers to make sure we post puzzle information as a Reply. OK?
      Then it is immediately visible on the Index page. OK?

I used Comment above because it was just a response to Yves in a joking "aside", as we call it. Being such a thoughtful, kindly person I didn't want puzzlers to hurriedly come to the thread not wanting to miss anything, only to find one of my usual inane responses. See? OK?

PS. Smilies: I know, I wanted to use one to Yves, but no can do. Great pity.
      Comments generally: I have tried them out occasionally, it's alright if you use them immediately after the other person's post and hoping that they will quickly see it, but meanwhile someone else might post a whole string of photos and "cover" the Comment you made. That happened to me when I found that in September Steve had Commented on one of my August Patch posts but I only saw it yesterday when looking for something. I tend to avoid Comments for that reason.

PPS. Remind me to thump you in Dordrecht next year.

PPPS. I love him really.
      I think.
      Ivy

Comment

• Steve.B
        Steve.B commented
        Editing a comment
        Just have to make a comment, what a wonderful post, Ivy - lol, that's him told. But no frying pans? you must be slipping, Ivy!

And what's all this about no smiley's in comments???

• yvneac
        yvneac commented
        Editing a comment
        "thoughful,kindly"......Ivy I do like your style.

Hey, how did you do that? Ah, just tried something - right click, copy image, paste - et voila! Clever old Steve. There you are Ralf, now we can smiley our way through our Comments.
      No frying pans, promise.
      Meanwhile, I'm still lost in contemplation of that blue building.
      Ivy

Comment

• Ralf__
        Ralf__ commented
        Editing a comment

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/.../smilies/@.gif

... i am too stupid, that does not work out for me...or for my computer, browser or what ever.
        Mark, could we open a manual for the forum usage? You could copy Ivy's text as rule how to use the "Comment" function.

Still waiting for the frying pan in a comment!

• Steve.B
        Steve.B commented
        Editing a comment
        What you do is steal a smiley from the reply section at the bottom of the page, left click the smiley that you want, then just copy or cut it from the reply box at the bottom of the page. Then paste it into your comment. it is a bit of a pain because it also pastes the text that describes the smiley. For instance, if you want a 'Happy' smiley, it will paste the word happy in front of the smiley. just like this...........happy , i just delete the text part.

Now, back to hunting blue buildings!

• PoloUK
        PoloUK commented
        Editing a comment
        Apparently images in comments - in their true form of what they call BB Code, i.e. [img]something[/img] is a known fault. They don't guarantee to fix it at the next version, but there is an option for registered licensees of vBulletin to vote for this to be fixed. They prioritise the ones that have the most votes. Doesn't seem ideal - but you lot are getting clever at making this thing do the majority of things we need.

Adding to Steve's point - if you go into the edit box and click on the smiley 'inserter' - or whatever it's called - if you hover over one of the blighters a message will come up for most telling you a short code for them. The one above is =D=. Put that between brackets and it will appear.

Interresting conversation about smilies BUT
      i'm still lost in New Guinea jungle and nobody to help me.
      Ombugge: do something!

Comment

I think we see a market scene, but there are so many in Guinea. The land is too big!
        Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

i am too stupid, that does not work out for me...or for my computer, browser or what ever.
          Oh Ralf, I wonder why? When you right click on a CVF smiley do you not get the Copy Image option amongst the others? Don't use Copy Link Location. I use PostSmile but haven't tried it in a Comment.

Mark, could we open a manual for the forum usage? You could copy Ivy's text as rule how to use the "Comment" function.
          Cheeky so-and-so. Make that two thumps.
          Ivy

Comment

Back to puzzle. Ombugge, are we in Waigani?
            Ivy

Comment

We've sent a brigade of well-equipped smilies to come to find you Yves. As soon as they hack their way through the jungle they'll bring you home.

To be honest we're more likely to find you in the jungle than in a 'comment box'!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• yvneac
                yvneac commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you Mister Stanley.I'm waiting for your brigade in a Papu's pot.

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
              I think we see a market scene, but there are so many in Guinea. The land is too big!
              Yes near a market,

Back to puzzle. Ombugge, are we in Waigani?
              But not in the new capital area of Waigani. This is an older part of Port Moresby.

Comment

I think we may be near the Koki area on Walter Bay. I have found a picture with something very like the little blue building though it is difficult to match the immediate surroundings with Ombugge's photo. Foreshortening and standpoint can make such a difference. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wa...from_hills.jpg
                I will try to ID the locality more closely, unles Ombugge gives the thumbs down on my idea.

Later: Mipela no painin aut taun in photo bilongyu. Yupela laik puk puk, Ombugge?
                Last edited by wherrygirl; November 8th, 2013, 13:02.
                Ivy

Comment

Aha!!! Finally solved. Yes it is near Koki Market in POM. Here is a picture of the Turtle statue at the round-about in Koki, with the now famous "blue house" in the background:

I mistook it for a small Mosque, while it is actually the Police post at Koki Market: http://malumnalu.blogspot.sg/2013/08...e-on-life.html

This could have been solved much easier by looking at my postings in the This is PNG thread: http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...w-guinea/page3

Well done Ivy and over to you.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post

Later: Mipela no painin aut taun in photo bilongyu. Yupela laik puk puk, Ombugge?
                    ​Puk Puk hemi gudpella kaikai, alosame himpella jap pella!!!

Comment

Thank you, Ombugge.
                      While poking around in various corners of the world I discovered this little museum. It contains many clues as to its location, but probably only recognisable in retrospect. Happy hunting.

The photo I first posted was slightly edited, but the above is now the original photograph, which was by Fanny Schertzer.
                      Last edited by wherrygirl; November 9th, 2013, 17:08.
                      Ivy

Comment

Lord Howe Island Maritime Museum:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Lo...ime_museum.jpg

Looks like quite a place, but a little far away for a day trip.
                        Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

• ombugge
                          ombugge commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I am one of very few people who have visited Lord How Islands, although before the museum was established and when the flying boats were still the means of transport to/from the mainland. We called abt. every 3 months to deliver supplies. One trip we brought in a dump truck in three pieces, using our surf boats.
                          Mechanics were flown in to assemble it, for use to construct the air strip that spelled the end for the flying boats.

• wherrygirl
                          wherrygirl commented
                          Editing a comment
                          There now! I hesitated to use anything anywhere near Australia, but decided that Ombugge surely would not ever, ever have visited this particular island. That settle it - in future if I post a puzzle I won't consider even Antarctica.
                      Working...
                      X