No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cecilia, did you not see my post at #3854?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Oh just as I was interrupted while answering ombugge, Ivy comes up with the correct answer! Full marks!
      I was in Prague at a conference and had some free time so I thought I'd see if I could find Kafka's grave. What I hadn't realised was that very day was the centenary of Kafka's death! I had just been standing there by the grave which is at the edge of the cemetery.Then along the path in the far distance there was a procession. I stayed for the ceremony, and the photo was taken afterwards.

Comment

Now, where might this be?
        Ivy

Comment

Central station The Hageu
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Nope. So there! Years since I was in Den Haag Central, is it really like that?
            Ivy

Comment

i don't know,but there is a trainstation thats also have those kind of archers
              best regards Thijs

Comment

Just spent an hour trying to match the colours with the old BR railway regions, then in turn trying to match those results with a suitable terminus. Total waste of time, it got me nowhere. But good fun nevertheless.

So, would we be right in guessing that this architecture is in fact related to a railway, Ivy? Could just as easily be covering an indoor market somewhere.
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

But good fun nevertheless.
                  So glad you're enjoying yourself, Steve.
                  But, yes, it's railway related. And I think the idea of it being an indoor market roof is very attractive. Town planners please note.

Later:
                  Actually, Steve, if you were going for colour matching then my photo has a distinct pink colour cast. The reality on the tracery, pillar and boarded roofing is a creamy white if I remember correctly. The red lining is definitely red! Many apologies, though it wouldn't affect your previous searches, I'm sure.
                  Ivy

Comment

At least in the UK, the keen sense of marketing and branding meant that most of the support structures had the name of the railway company cast into them - places like York are an example of that. This one doesn't afford us that luxury!! I'm clueless - as usual.
                    Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Liverpool Street Station in London, i guess???
                      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

• PoloUK
                        PoloUK commented
                        Editing a comment
                        You guess? That's a very impressive guess!

• Steve.B
                        Steve.B commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's not a guess, Ralf, it's a fact!

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                      Could just as easily be covering an indoor market somewhere.
                      Not too different from Lau Pa Sat market in Singapore:
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telok_Ayer_Market

Yes I know it is not, but just using this opportunity to promoting a Singaporean icon.

Unfortunately, if you plan to visit in next few months, it will be under renovation again: http://www.ttgasia.com/article.php?article_id=21647

I hope they will follow my advise on how to improve the ventilation this time, not to wast their money on making it all air-conditioned.
                      If they do, they will loose one good customer,

Comment

Well done, Ralf. Actually, for anyone who followed my "Wherrygirl x 366 - Perhaps", thread, when I joined Jan-Olav, Cecilia and Elizabeth in a marathon photo-a-day-for-a-year lark I gave a view of another part of the station roof. See:

http://www.captainsvoyage-forum.com/...7073#post97073

So, the baton passes to you, Ralf.
                        Ivy

Comment

This was simple and for sure helpful to use German keywords while searching. This reduced the British train stations to the most popular few. I was lucky that a similar picture popped up at page one then.
                          O.K., it has been a while since my last puzzle, so here is a new one: what place is this?

Comment

In reference with your previous posts ,could it be a spa in Germany?

Comment

• Ralf__
                              Ralf__ commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I am sorry Yves, neither a spa, nor Germany.

O.K., i realised that the comment-function is confusing, so there was no new guess up to now. I'll give you a little clue: Not in Germany, but the picture was made last Friday.

Comment

Working...
                            X