What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
    Stone carving, stone figure, stone monolith, stone tribal warrior, Inca - pre inca, Peru, chavin period and countless other mixtures of words trying to search for this one. Just not getting anywhere.
    Have another look at what you said. Which is the most all-embracing key-word that you mentioned, the one that you might think would lead to delving down through the most layers to uncover this little chap? Then try it again.

one of Ombugge's 'beaches of south east Asia'!
    Ouch, don't remind me, Mark. It's a wonder I didn't have nightmares over that one.

One day she'll be punished!
    Ooooooo-ooo-ooh! What do you suggest?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post

Ooooooo-ooo-ooh! What do you suggest?
      Force you to eat snails and frogs!!!!!!!

Comment

• ombugge
        ombugge commented
        Editing a comment
        At a high class restaurant, with suitable expensive wine to go with it??
        No hardship at all.

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
      I do not know what i am missing, but it must be darn obvious! I am at a total loss with finding this one. I must have seen hundreds of these stone chaps, some very similar indeed, but absolutely none of them have given me a clue on how to track this one down. Stone carving, stone figure, stone monolith, stone tribal warrior, Inca - pre inca, Peru, chavin period and countless other mixtures of words trying to search for this one. Just not getting anywhere.

He is obviously in a place that tourist do not readily have their cameras to hand, all the other similar carvings/figures i have found, have had dozens of different photos taken of them. But i think this chap must have been hiding under a dustbin in someones back yard for the last 30 years.
      Ah, this friendly fellow is actually a replica of a Recuay warrior, from an Andean culture similar to and living living in the same area - but at a later time - as the Chavin culture: http://www.lahistoriadelperu.com/201...ra-recuay.html

This particular charming fellow is used as a bench outside the shop of a dealer of replica monoliths and other "antiques" along Avenida Luzuriaga in the city of Huaraz in Peru: http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo:BancaMonolito.JPG

Thanks to Steve identifying this as a possible monolith replica and of Chavin origin, I eventually connected the dots and found the picture Ivy had posted so long ago.

Subject to Ivy confirming my finding I will have a problem; finding another "obscure beach" or something in S.E.Asia.

Comment

Oh, well done, Ombugge, right down to the fact that it is outside an "antique" shop. I took the photo from Wiki's article that came up when I clicked on Peru and the photo that appears as you scroll down and click on Media from Commons did not give that piece of info..
        But please, NOT another obscure beach!
        Ivy

Comment

But please, NOT another obscure beach!
          I was just wondering whether the issue was the 'obscure' bit or the 'beach' bit?!

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Knowing Ombugge I would say "obscure" is the relevant bit. These inscrutable Norwegians living in Singapore........
            Ivy

Comment

I must thank ombugge for finding that particular infuriating little man! That little chap had me running around in circles, if i had a tail i would have been chasing it! I am relieved to find this one solved.

But knowing ombugge, i doubt that relief will last for long!
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Knowing Ombugge I would say "obscure" is the relevant bit. These inscrutable Norwegians living in Singapore........
                True to my word here is another obscure beach on an island in S.E.Asia:

Actually not that obscure and situated on a well known resort island. (Not Sentosa or Bali)

Comment

I am going to blame Ivy for this.
                  Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

OK, to save Ivy from any punishment I'll post a new puzzle in place of the beach at Pulau Pangkor, Malaysia.
                    I posted several pictures from there not so long ago, which would easily be spotted by those who follow the This is Malaysia thread.

Here is the real puzzle. Where is this Light House situated??:

Comment

Ah, much better, something for us to get our teeth into!

Comment

Are those towers a fairly recent addition in the last few years? I think i have found a few photos of this place, but a lot of them do not show the towers.

Would i be correct by guessing this is the Raffle's Lighthouse on Pulau Satumu, or 'One tree' island? Situated to the south of the main Singapore Island.

http://thelongnwindingroad.wordpress...es-lighthouse/

Comment

That was quick and entirely correct. It is the Raffle's Lighthouse as seen a couple of days ago.
                          The article under the link is from 2011.
                          The new NORCONTROL VTIS system was installed in 2012 I think. Some of the towers are probably part of that system.
                          Here is a link to MPA's description of the VTIS arrangement covering the Straits of Malacca and Singapore, from One Fathom Bank, off Port Klang to Horsburgh Lighthouse at the entrance from the South China Sea: http://www.mpa.gov.sg/sites/port_and...straitrep.page

Someone may know this VTIS station?:

It is back to you Steve.
                          Last edited by ombugge; September 21st, 2013, 16:33.

Comment

Been a while since i solved a puzzle. The addition of the towers nearly threw me, but that lighthouse is rather distinctive, luckily. You seem to have missed placing the link in the above post, ombugge - the one to the MPA's description of the VTIS arrangement for the area.

On with the show.

Which Place is This?

Photo by James stringer. From his flickr album.
                            Last edited by Steve.B; September 24th, 2013, 22:11.

Comment

• ombugge
                              ombugge commented
                              Editing a comment
                              And you blame me for posting obscure beaches in S.E.Asia??
                              What about obscure churches in UK??? Seen from here that is as difficult to solve!!!

• wherrygirl
                              wherrygirl commented
                              Editing a comment
                              The so-and-so's even blotted out the name of the bridge.

Are we in UK Steve? More precisely in England?

Comment

Working...
                            X