What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Counted you out!! And just read your next clue!

No it is not in Germany and Mark is right. It is not full size. You identified a person on the bridge, right? I better count you in for further guesses, Ivy!
    Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Hmmm - not Germany, but the stripey marker tape on the bridge makes me think we're somewhere in Europe with a Safety Culture similar to Germany (or indeed the UK).

White 'tyres' though - tend to suggest not the UK.
      Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Markl, you're wrong this time. This is also the reason, why i don't want to count out Ivy.

Comment

You're surely not talking about Bressingham, Suffolk?????
          PS I beg its pardon, should be that other place - Norfolk!
          Last edited by wherrygirl; July 12th, 2013, 09:50.
          Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
          Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

A good guess, but this is too close to your place, Ivy. I did not even knew this one up to now!! Again learned something.
            But locomotive No. 10 is serving another route.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
              A good guess, but this is too close to your place, Ivy. I did not even knew this one up to now!! Again learned something.
              But locomotive No. 10 is serving another route.
              Ahhh - think we're south of Ivy, across the river, but somewhere equally flat.

'White tyres' threw me, but I understand now.
              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

South of Ivy is correct. Flat? Well, there are no mountains in this area, so to say... And something white inspired me to this puzzle, i think you understood right.

Comment

South of Ivy is correct. Flat? Well, there are no mountains in this area, so to say... And something white inspired me to this puzzle, i think you understood right.
                  OK, so I think I should probably say that I'm fairly sure that this this is the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway in Kent. The RH&D is unique is that it isn't preserved, or a heritage railway in that sense, but a real, live railway, carrying passengers year round - not just the tourists, but also people travelling from place to place - including a contract with the county council to carry kids to school.

With a 15" gauge, the railway uses a mixture of steam and diesel locos. Loads of info here.

The reason I was confused (other than I can't in all honesty spot one loco from another, I prefer boats!), was the 'American' look of the loco. Turns out that No 10 is Dr Syn, built for the railway in 1931 but with a 'Canadian outline'.

Is that on your list of places to visit when you're over Ralf? I love Kent, obviously particularly the port towns, but also Romney Marsh is a little special. It's a bit of the world where all my family come from.
                  Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Perfectly solved, Mark. No, this is not on my list. I think my family will be not amused, if we will visit nothing else than railways, canals with locks and ferries. So for me a perfect place to visit, but i will have to do that another time. I saw recently a TV report about the White Cliffs of Dover and the Folkestone area and the RH&D was displayed there. In Google Earth i found this Panoramio Picture by dbcamco1 which was hiding a bit the size and location. Yes and the loco was different than the others. In the meantime i learned a bit about Dr Syn and the smuggler stories of Russel Thomdyke...

Over to you, Mark!

Comment

Can see the family's point! There are loads of interesting places to visit in that area though - Canterbury for example is a lovely town (with some shops which may or may not be of interest?).

Anyway, let's try another one. What place is this?

Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Nice one. I see a tree which is looking icy and covered with snow powder. But that is not possible, because the place looks warm and cosy and it is open towards the tree. So it maybe a mixture of glancing daylight and a special moss which is looking so white. I see some children in a room which offers some activities. Are we guests in a museum?

Comment

Nice one. I see a tree which is looking icy and covered with snow powder. But that is not possible, because the place looks warm and cosy and it is open towards the tree. So it maybe a mixture of glancing daylight and a special moss which is looking so white. I see some children in a room which offers some activities. Are we guests in a museum?
                          They don't call it a Museum, but yes, you're on the right tracks.
                          Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

Not a Museum, but maybe some "Arty-Farty" place somewhere not to far from home??

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                              Not a Museum, but maybe some "Arty-Farty" place somewhere not to far from home??
                              Not a museum - it's called a Visitors Centre, but there are plenty of exhibits and explanations (good ones) of what is nearby.

Not too far from home - well, it's not in the UK.
                              Cheers,

Mark.

www.pologlover.co.uk

Comment

There are so much possibilities. From time to time i have a look. European mainland or Skandinavia?

Comment

Working...
                                X