What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
    But for now, i am going to have to ask ombugge a question. "Is the fireball anything to do with a train derailment?".
    Or a nuclear detonation at a test site?
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

No, not a trail derailment or nuclear explosion.
      Naturally occurring incident.

Comment

Okay, lets try to narrow it down further. Is this somewhere in Nigeria?
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I shall stick my head out and say that this is gas flaring in the Niger Delta. A very controversial by product of oil production in the area.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
            I shall stick my head out and say that this is gas flaring in the Niger Delta. A very controversial by product of oil production in the area.
            Not in Nigeria and not gas flaring. Too big for that, even with the help of the Nigerian rebels.

Natural occurring, but not something that happens every day, nor get in the news very often, when it occurs.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post

Natural occurring, but not something that happens every day, nor get in the news very often, when it occurs.
              Natural, naturally, boy those two words are messing up every search i do! According to google, natural gas and naturally occurring gas only comes out of gas pipes or tanks! Even tried marsh gas, but that turns up nothing but volcanoes and nice pictures of gas stoves!

I am assuming that this must be a gas fueled fire ball, it seems to be burning too cleanly and fast to be anything else. I am also trying to figure out what ignites this natural fireball. I take it that it does ignite itself in someway.

Comment

The boat looks like somewhere in southeast Asia; Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand or maybe Malaysia? The flame looks clean so I'm thinking it's a gas like methane or natural gas.

Comment

Originally posted by pilotdane View Post
                  The boat looks like somewhere in southeast Asia; Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand or maybe Malaysia? The flame looks clean so I'm thinking it's a gas like methane or natural gas.
                  You are in the right part of the world. The flame is likely to be methane, or similar naturally occurring gas, but not caused by any man-made event, like well testing, or blow-out. (At least not in this case)

PS> I watched a major gas well blow-out in India some years back, where the flame stood something like 200 m. straight up, not a fireball, like here.

Comment

Nope...., even I give up. I've searched the internet in and out, and when I finally searched 'asian fireball' and got an answer far, far away from what was interesting...., I belive I will stop here.
                    "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                      Nope...., even I give up. I've searched the internet in and out, and when I finally searched 'asian fireball' and got an answer far, far away from what was interesting...., I belive I will stop here.
                      I can see you didn't get much help there. It is not a Asian Fire Dragon breathing fire, that is for sure.

Maybe you should rather consider what can cause such "fireballs".

Comment

I am also finding this one very very hard. This must be one of the hardest subjects to search for. I am presuming that the fuel for this 'fireball' must be methane. And that for some reason it is being released in very large quantities.

But i am not sure if this was a one off event - in which case the cameraman must have been lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Or is this a regular release of built up gas? If so i can only think that the pressure needs to build to a certain pressure before this things blows, a bit like a water geyser. But for it to self ignite i am presuming that there is also a more slower steady release of the gas that burns constantly. But even saying that i have big doubts, if it were somesort of gas geyser, then surely the flame would be more like a jet shape?

Methane is lighter than air, so it cannot be a case of it seeping out of the ground and 'pooling' until something ignites it. I am at a total lose on this one now.

Comment

Maybe you should rather consider what can cause such "fireballs".
                          Almost the only thing I can come up with that cause such fireballs and NOT is interesting for the news media, is some pyrotechniques at an airshow....

Asian Fire Dragon breathing fire
                          And no...., not even close to what came up when I Googled 'asian fireball'
                          "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                            ....And no...., not even close to what came up when I Googled 'asian fireball'
                            I just had to see what you came up with:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...&defid=4943400

So, it has two meanings....
                            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Can anyone guess where Lookchin is???

Comment

Mr Lookchin, have you been playing in Bristol by chance? Underneath the stern of the S.S Great Britain??

I think maybe you have!

Comment

Working...
                                X