Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Originally posted by yvneac View Post
    No puzzle?I am sad without my game buddies.
    No, you're not . You've not been on this thread for quite a while but have been gallivanting in Caen and Lanzarote, (yes, I've noticed....) just as Ombugge is in Vietnam. He will post soon, no doubt, when he returns to work. . If he proves to be too busy I have another one ready if it is wanted. Cheer up my friend - "Le diable est mort".
    Last edited by wherrygirl; January 11th, 2013, 13:02.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
      No, you're not . You've not been on this thread for quite a while but have been gallivanting in Caen and Lanzarote, (yes, I've noticed....) just as Ombugge is in Vietnam. He will post soon, no doubt, when he returns to work. . If he proves to be too busy I have another one ready if it is wanted. Cheer up my friend - "Le diable est mort".
      You are a reincarnation of Sherlock Holmes,Ivy.
      About "le diable est mort" you know that devils never die.

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
        I was of the opinion that Oistein solved this one so have not made any effort to find a new puzzle.
        I'm back from Vietnam now but if Oistein doesn't take up the challenge I throw the field open for anybody with an urge.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
          I was of the opinion that Oistein solved this one so have not made any effort to find a new puzzle.
          I'm back from Vietnam now but if Oistein doesn't take up the challenge I throw the field open for anybody with an urge.
          See my post at #3329. Yes, Oistein found the island but then you chipped in with the answer to my question as to the name of the two rocks. If you're too busy at the moment, Ombugge, then perhaps Oistein would post the next puzzle.
          Ivy

Comment

Ok let's get going. Somebody wake Yves up.......
            What are these called and where are they?

Photograph will be attributed when the puzzle is solved.
            Last edited by wherrygirl; January 12th, 2013, 20:39.
            Ivy

Comment

Umm...geology and botany skills would be of advantage here. It looks like this place may not be fully exposed to the full force of the sea. Those rocks look to have been eroded away gently over a very long time, rather than the damage the full force of the sea tends to do to rocks. Maybe a tidal loch somewhere, or something similar.

Now lets see if i can keep my brain firing long enough to follow this thread for a while!
              Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Welcome back, Steve. We badly need you.
                Ivy

Comment

I didn't really respond to your remarks, Steve, I was so pleased to see you there! In a way this place is not exposed to the full force of the sea in that it is not part of a long straight coastline, but it is in no way a tidal loch, either. However, formation of the coast does play a part, and because of that I should imagine it can be pretty rough at times.
                  Ivy

Comment

I was in just the right mood this afternoon for a spot of CVF, Ivy. Your latest puzzle interested me so i thought i would have a go. The result being i have spent far too long chasing wild geese around on Google!

But, i am ready to ask another question. Are we in Canada?, possibly somewhere in the Bay of Fundy? I found the photo that is shown below, the rocks and trees look very similar to the one's in your photo - trees on top of the sand stone.

Photo is to be found here - 10 famous sea stack formations.

But i do have a big doubt. When i looked at your photo i immediately thought that we must be in a place with a low tidal range, looking at those yellow warning signs i guessed maybe a couple of metres or so tidal difference. But reading about the Bay of Fundy, it would seem that area is subject to some of the worlds greatest tidal ranges up to 30m according to the article on that page. So now i am not too sure.
                    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Okay, after looking at the wiki page, Bay of Fundy, i think i will stick with my guess, we are somewhere in or near the Bay of Fundy??

Comment

Just a comment from me (as geology has been mentioned!). Looks like sandstone with conglomerate (the pebbly-looking layers in the cliffs), and has vertical fissures down which it erodes to form the stack like shapes. The sandstone is probably rather soft and erodes easily. But most interesting is the amount of water erosion at the bottom of these stacks. This is where my mantra “a Cecilia for scale” (which I was delighted to see has been adapted by ombugge in the Vietnam thread in the context of bonsai trees!!!! ) is important. I’d say, Steve, that that height of erosion undercutting the stacks absolutely suggests a large tidal range to me.

Comment

He's back with a vengeance - spot on, Steve. It is the Hopewell Rocks in the Bay of Fundy, New Brunswick, Canada. And thank you, Cecilia, for giving the precise geological explanation for this phenomenon, for that's what it is, with a tidal difference of 40-50 ft, making it the highest tide in the world. The video below gives an excellent ideas of what is happening, and I feel a little guilty when saying that it was not like a tidal loch, for it is certanly an inlet, but all the same - according to the video info. - it is 180 miles long by 62 miles wide.
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfhNjpu_IU4
                          There are several more videos listed at the side which are interesting.
                          So, very well done, Steve, and so quickly. Now over to you.

PS, I chose that picture deliberately so as to avoid giving too obvious a scale, although the trees give quite a good idea. Another video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRbvvzK-ll0 gives a travelogue type image of the place.
                          Last edited by wherrygirl; January 13th, 2013, 12:53.
                          Ivy

Comment

Too fast for me.I was searching in Australia...I need to train myself again.

Comment

I was certainly fooled by the height of the tides on that one. Living near the North Coast of Devon i am used to actually seeing the full height of the tides showing on the rocks - not too many beaches near me, but there are lots of cliff faces where little or no beach is exposed at low water, so down here you only have to look at the rocks to see that we have frequent 7m tides. So when i looked at Ivy's picture i automatically judged the tide height by what i could see on the rocks. I made the mistake of not accounting for the long slope of the beach. But at least i guessed correctly that it was sandstone, without adding sandstone into my searches i would not have found the place.

Thanks for the video link, Ivy. I must admit it does look like a nice spot to visit, just maybe a bit to 'touristy' for my liking though.

So i guess i should now post something else. After the normal round of swearing at google for being so darned good at finding pictures, i finally settled on one that Mr Google did not know about.

Which Place is This?

Photo is by James.Stringer, from his photostream on flickr
                              Last edited by Steve.B; January 17th, 2013, 22:36. Reason: Adding photo credit.

Comment

Are we in western Europe? If we are, this manor could be located along a coast hugged by Gulf Stream. A try:Scotland?

Comment

Working...
                                X