Originally posted by pakarang View Post
    Eagle Square, Langkawi, Malaysia!!
    Correct. It is now back to you Pakarang

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
      Correct. It is now back to you Pakarang
      I will hunt for a new location..
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Where have we ended up this time?

XXXX is a typical tell – an artificial mound created by many successive layers of human occupation. The strata of the 300 × 600 m tell testify to continuous human presence from about 2300 BC to the 16th century AD. About 25% of the site has been excavated, revealing structures of different types: residential, public, commercial, religious and military. They testify to the importance of the site, a trading port, over the centuries. On the top of the 12 m mound there is the impressive Portuguese fort, which gave the whole site its name, XXXX. The site was the capital of the XXXX, one of the most important ancient civilizations of the region. It contains the richest remains inventoried of this civilization, which was hitherto only known from written XXXX references.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Qal at al-Bahrain

Never been there, but it looks like a place full of history.

I am going on vacation tomorrow, so if this is the right answer,
          it's free for those who feel for it to come with the next problem.
          Øistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
            Qal at al-Bahrain

Never been there, but it looks like a place full of history.

You are good! Spot on! Congratulations!

Qal’at al-Bahrain – Ancient Harbour and Capital of Dilmun is the correct answer, a place on the World's Heritage List.

Brief Description

Qal’at al-Bahrain is a typical tell – an artificial mound created by many successive layers of human occupation. The strata of the 300 × 600 m tell testify to continuous human presence from about 2300 BC to the 16th century AD. About 25% of the site has been excavated, revealing structures of different types: residential, public, commercial, religious and military. They testify to the importance of the site, a trading port, over the centuries. On the top of the 12 m mound there is the impressive Portuguese fort, which gave the whole site its name, qal’a (fort). The site was the capital of the Dilmun, one of the most important ancient civilizations of the region. It contains the richest remains inventoried of this civilization, which was hitherto only known from written Sumerian references.
            >> http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/1192

Now, it's your turn...

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
              Since it's wide open to post, I'll take my change.
              Where in the world do you find these impressive Chinese Lions guarding the door?:

Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 15:55.

Comment

Any chance of a little clue on this one Ombugge? I am coming up blank on this at the moment.
                Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                  Any chance of a little clue on this one Ombugge? I am coming up blank on this at the moment.
                  Not in China. Try far away from home.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    Not in China. Try far away from home.
                    Ok, lets try to narrow thier location down a little. Are these lions in Norway?
                    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Ok, lets try to narrow thier location down a little. Are these lions in Norway?
                      Sort of in Norway........

Comment

"Sort of in Norway" ?

Personally, I've never seen more typical norwegian details: the door, the ashtray on the wall to the right and the aluminium in the steps of the stairway. Therefore I would like to say it IS in Norway, but I can't figure out where.
                        Is this a widely known place? Should I, and norwegians in general, know this place/house?
                        "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                          "Sort of in Norway" ?

Personally, I've never seen more typical norwegian details: the door, the ashtray on the wall to the right and the aluminium in the steps of the stairway. Therefore I would like to say it IS in Norway
                          The house/hut also looked very Norwegian to me, but could not put into words why.

I think Ombugge's clue "Sort of in Norway" may lead us to an island off Norway.
                          I have looked but have not yet found any evidence, but i will guess 'Hitra' to start with.

Comment

I now think that these lions can be found at China's scientific research 'Yellow River Station' located on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english...ent_352549.htm

EDIT: I never realised that Spitsbergen was so far from the Norwegian mainland. So Ombugge's clue really does make good sense!
                            Last edited by Steve.B; June 11th, 2010, 12:37.

Comment

I now think that these lions can be found at China's scientific research 'Yellow River Station' located on the Norwegian island of Spitsbergen.

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english...ent_352549.htm

EDIT: I never realised that Spitsbergen was so far from the Norwegian mainland. So Ombugge's clue really does make good sense!
                              That is very correct. The Chinese Research Station in Ny-Aalesund, Svalbard, which is "sort of" Norway, since it is Norwegian administered territory but not fully recognized as Norwegian Sovereign Territory, especially now due to the melting ice. Fishing and mineral rights are also open to other signatories of the Svalbard Treaty.

Actually I found the pics in a link I posted in the "This is the Arctic" thread a couple of weeks ago.

Congratulation Steve and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
                              Consider this as your Birthday present from Singapore.
                              The con is yours.

Comment

Thank you Ombugge. Okay, let's try another. Who can tell me where and what this place is?

Which place is this?

Comment

Working...
                                X