What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
    I can also see that face clearly, but sadly it's not made solving this one any easier. Searches have not turned up anything yet. So not in the Caribbean, how about in the Hawaiian islands? - just trying to narrow it down a little.
    Closer to the Caribbean than to Hawaii, but not very close.

Comment

And from the air it looks like this.

Not sure of the translation, but the name of the place is something like- 'Porto - Fernando de Noronha'. It's on an island approx 250 miles off the north east coast of Brazil. llha Fernando de Noronha.

This one was solved with the aid of your last clue Ombugge,
      Closer to the Caribbean than to Hawaii, but not very close.
      With that bit of information, with the help of the G/E ruler i could soon rule out many places like New Zealand etc, i concluded i needed to look at the Atlantic, and obviously not too far from the equator. Started nearer the African side, then just worked my way back across the ocean. Did not have to spend long looking at various places, i knew that the breakwater in your photo would stand out well on Google Earth.

Ok, i will think up another.
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

And from the air it looks like this.

Not sure of the translation, but the name of the place is something like- 'Porto - Fernando de Noronha'. It's on an island approx 250 miles off the north east coast of Brazil. llha Fernando de Noronha.

This one was solved with the aid of your last clue Ombugge, With that bit of information, with the help of the G/E ruler i could soon rule out many places like New Zealand etc, i concluded i needed to look at the Atlantic, and obviously not too far from the equator. Started nearer the African side, then just worked my way back across the ocean. Did not have to spend long looking at various places, i knew that the breakwater in your photo would stand out well on Google Earth.

Ok, i will think up another.
        That is correct, Illha Fernando de Noronha, which is a Brazilian island in the South Atlantic. It was in the news quite a bit last year, when the Air France plane ditched in the Atlantic.

The actual port is Porto Santo Antonio. Here is couple more pictures from there.
        First with that distinctive mountain:

It is obviously a Cruise Ship destination:

Can anybody identify the Cruise ship???

So it is over to you again, Steve.
        Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 15:53.

Comment

Ok, so off to another part of the world.

Where is this place?

G. Rees Licence
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Name of the harbour required.

Comment

My guess goes to Cornwall, but i could not pinpoint this place on Google Earth yet. Am i on the right track?
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                My guess goes to Cornwall, but i could not pinpoint this place on Google Earth yet. Am i on the right track?
                No, not Cornwall Ralf, so you need to shift your google gaze elsewhere!

Comment

Ummm. My guess goes to the British Islands, because of the style of the buildings, should be heading to the Atlantic, because of the high tide. But i was not successful, crosschecked then also the Channel islands (silly idea!) and the Bretonian coast. No result. Help!!!

Comment

Ireland?????

Canada?????

Comment

I'm looking at the world tidal maps for places with a huge tidal range and surprisingly it does not narrow it down too much.

Every fjord I've found in Nova Scotia has a river at it's head as do the ones I've checked in Alaska. The sailboats say something in northern Europe.

I'm getting a bit of an education looking for this one.

Comment

The tidal range for this place is about 4.8m on a spring tide. But i will say that this place is not a million miles away from the area which is reputed to have the worlds second highest tidal range.

Now that should narrow it down for you all!

Comment

I tried to work with this infomation and guess the place with the 2nd highest tide is Bristol Channel near Avonmouth, because Bay of Fundy and Ungava Bay on the northern coast of Quebec are often tied together as one point.

This would lead me also again to the English houses on the picture, therefore i searched through large parts of the English coast two days ago... So again i examined this area, but i am not able to find the place. Now i will finish my search because i am offline and in vacation for the next 10 days... (no ship pictures to expect, but maybe some other impressions)

So all the others, have fun, this is a tricky one!!!

Comment

The tidal range for this place is about 4.8m on a spring tide. But i will say that this place is not a million miles away from the area which is reputed to have the worlds second highest tidal range.

Now that should narrow it down for you all!
                            It should put us somewhere in Bristol Bay, but I haven't been able to find a place that match, yet.
                            My guess is on the North side, which means in Wales.

Comment

Severn? Cliveden? Are we anywhere close??

I'm going to be in Bristol on June 15-17.......

Comment

It's not Fishguard Harbor, is it?????

Comment

Working...
                                X