No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are on the right way, and I can help you a bit by saying it is NOT in Thailand.

This place is very famous and has a very glorious past which abruptly, and very strangely, ceased to exist.

An awesome place.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Ok, it took me until gone 1 o'clock in the morning, but i think i can say i have identified the place.

I believe it is in Cambodia? And i also believe that it is the city of Angkor Thom The building in the middle is the Bayon Temple.

I must say it looks like a really stunning place to visit. Such detailed stone carvings at the Temple, truly magical.

Have a look here.

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/c...m-bayon-temple

Now i guess it is my turn to post a puzzle, rather than rush it, i will wait until later today, right now i need to sleep. That was indeed a hard one to solve Jan-Olav!
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Absolutely: Angkor Thom, a part of the temples of Angkor Wat.

To me and in my opinion, this is one of the wonders of the world. In its heydays, more than 100.000 people lived within the temple walls, then suddenly, they all disappeared and the temple was left abandoned. Historians still argu till this day what really happened.

I have been to Angkor Wat only once in my life: I arrived at midnight under a full moon, and it still stands in my mind as one of the most magical experiences you can imagine.

The torch is passed to you, looking forward to see the next place we head to.

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Actually I was pleased that Steve had the answer before I’d even seen the puzzle, because I’d have felt I had an unfair advantage . This was because I recently came quite close to planning to go there, but the tours spent most of the time in Cambodia, Laos and/or Vietnam – (and not enough time in Thailand ).

Comment

Here is the next location that needs to be identified. Nice and easy! To help you i shall provide a couple of clues to start you off.

Clue 1: From this place you can board a very old and unusual ferry, do not miss it though, it only runs once per week! The ferry is German built. More clues to follow if nobody guesses correctly.

Clue 2: About 6 miles from this location there is meeting place.

What is the name of this place?

Image by Kirk Stevens.
            Last edited by Steve.B; February 28th, 2010, 19:59. Reason: Adding photo credit
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Am I right guessing we are on the African continent? Somewhere far south of the Equator?

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                Am I right guessing we are on the African continent? Somewhere far south of the Equator?
                Yes, African continent, and yes, south of the equator, but how far south i will not say at this moment

Comment

Dr. Livingston I presume??

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
                    dr. Livingston i presume??

Comment

I wonder if the ferry is M/V "Mwongozo" and in that case we are in Kigoma, Tanzania...????
                      "IF GOD COULD MAKE ANGELS...., WHY IN HELL MAKE MAN?"

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post
                        I wonder if the ferry is M/V "Mwongozo" and in that case we are in Kigoma, Tanzania...????
                        We are indeed in Kigoma, Tanzania! On the shore of Lake Tanganyika. Very well done Sir! Though you have a different name for the ferry to the one i had in mind. I had the 'Liemba' in mind........

During WW1 the Germans sent the 1300 ton steamship "Graf von Goetzen" in pieces by train from Dar es Salaam to Kigoma. She was assembled there, but sunk in Lake Tanganyika by the Germans themselves as defeat became apparent. She was salvaged by the British in 1924, renamed the "Liemba" and (allegedly) starred as the German destroyer in the film "The African Queen" before taking up service as the ferry up Lake Tanganyika. She now sails from Mpulungu to Kigoma and back once a week.
                        The 'Liemba'.

I was going to provide more clues about the ferry if nobody could guess the location. I thought Ombugge would give the answer earlier when he said "Dr Livingstone I presume?". He obviously latched on to my second clue about a meeting place being nearby. (Well done Ombugge) The village of Ujiji is about 6 miles south of Kigoma and is the place where Henry Stanley found Dr Livingstone in 1871 and uttered the now famous words "Dr Livingstone I presume?".

I had hoped that you would have all looked at the picture and be fooled into thinking that this was a location by the sea, but sadly you were not

But very well done again Sterkoder, it is now your turn!

Comment

Great.... what a fantastic way to learn about the world!

Can't wait to see what Sterkoder comes up with...

Comment

"Mwongozo" and "Liemba" are the two vessels trafficing on this lake, so this was a mid-difficult quiz
                            Have to think a while aboute the next quiz...

EDIT: If anyone else feel like posting a new quiz now, please feel free to do so.
                            Last edited by Sterkoder; February 28th, 2010, 20:08.

Comment

Originally posted by Sterkoder View Post

EDIT: If anyone else feel like posting a new quiz now, please feel free to do so.
                              Ok Sterkoder, I shall post another. I think that this one should be easier than the last, but you never know!

So where are we now, this place is surrounded by forests of pine, deodar, oak and rhododendron.

Can anyone guess the location?

Photo credit: Manmeet Sharma.
                              Last edited by Steve.B; March 1st, 2010, 17:40. Reason: Adding photo credit.

Comment

Wild guess:
                                Shimla Railwaystation in the North Indian state of Himachal Pradesh.

Comment

Working...
                                X