Clear All

Miniature village? Film set?
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post
      Miniature village? Film set?
      A nice idea, but no, not miniature, and not a film set. But 'village', umm, you could be onto something there Ivy!
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Knowing of a certain person's locality I found Atlantic Village in Bideford, but pics. don't fit. Neither do Village Hotels from what Google has to offer.
        Ooo-ooh, maddening

PS: it's not the Village Hotel, Warrington, is it?
        Last edited by wherrygirl; May 21st, 2010, 23:46. Reason: Bright new idea!
        Ivy

Comment

Most certainly not Atlantic Village in Bideford, that's a fairly modern retail outlet park. And no, neither is it the Village Hotel in Warrington.

Now i will not say anything else just yet, i always enjoy it when one of my puzzles last for more than a few hours!
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

The buildings look connected...are they???

This wouldn't belong to another COUNTRY, would it????

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
              The buildings look connected...are they???

This wouldn't belong to another COUNTRY, would it????
              I am fairly certain that today these buildings are owned by a company from the UK. But, the owners that ADDED these buildings certainly came from another country.

And yes, i do believe a lot of these buildings are interconnected.

Comment

Ooohhh, ooohhh, ooohh....I know I know I figured it out!!!

Mwwaahahahahahahaha

I won't reveal what it IS, Steve, but I'll hint so you'll know I know... (hehehehehe)

There was a very important royal connected quite close by. Really close by. Like across the lawn.

Someone who became British was critical in its development. This person's first cousin went down with the Titanic...........

Comment

I think you have convinced me Elizabeth! Well done! Though i do believe that you do not need to cross a lawn to get to the royal connection, you simply have to cross that bridge!

Anyway, my next clue should confirm your correct.

Next clue: Think of a famous Hotel.

Comment

Somehow I didn't see this page, so I've deleted my entry here.
                    Last edited by wherrygirl; May 22nd, 2010, 10:36.
                    Ivy

Comment

Somehow I didn't see this page, so I've deleted my entry here.
                      I am curious to what you were going to say Ivy, did you also have an answer for this puzzle? Lady E knows the answer, but she's decided to keep it to herself, so this puzzle is still open for new guesses!

My last clue - 'Think of a famous Hotel', ties in with one of my earlier clues, but be careful you do not go off on the wrong track whilst putting the clues together.

I will now add another image to the puzzle. Now could this be the Royal connection that Lady E mentions?

Comment

How about if I said that the lady who lived in the big house had a daughter with a name familiar to all of us.......me included.

Comment

Originally posted by ehp View Post
                          How about if I said that the lady who lived in the big house had a daughter with a name familiar to all of us.......me included.
                          Don't be coy Liz. Since you know the answer, post it. Looking forward to YOUR puzzle on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                            I am curious to what you were going to say Ivy, did you also have an answer for this puzzle? Lady E knows the answer, but she's decided to keep it to herself, so this puzzle is still open for new guesses!
                            Steve, it's already been solved. If you join in the game and know the answer then you must place your bid, surely. I was probably off on another wrong track, anyway.
                            Ivy

Comment

Steve, it's already been solved. If you join in the game and know the answer then you must place your bid, surely. I was probably off on another wrong track, anyway.
                              Ok, I am declaring this puzzle solved. Elizabeth, even though you have not named the place, it is very clear that you have the correct answer!

The place in question is of course Hever Castle in the county of Kent, UK. And to be even more precise, the first photo showed the 'Tudor Village' at Hever Castle. Hence me saying that Ivy was on to something when she said village.

'Not as English as they may seem'. I think that was the clue that Lady E used to solve the puzzle(?). Although the Castle itself dates back to the 13th century, the 'Tudor Village' was built in 1903 by the American businessman William Waldorf Astor. This accounts for my last clue 'Think of a famous Hotel' - The Waldorf Astoria. In 1891 William and his family moved to England, first living in Buckinghamshire. In 1899 William became a British subject. After his acquisition of Hever - which had fallen into disrepair over the years, he set about rebuilding the castle to bring it back to it's former glory, and to make it suitable for his family to live in. It was at this time he built the new buildings now known as the 'Tudor Village'. He was very careful to insure that the new buildings fitted in with the original castle.

The Royal connection that Lady E mentioned. Hever Castle was the childhood home of Anne Boleyn. She was to become one of the wives to King Henry the VIII. Thus she was the Queen of England between 1533 and 1536. She was one of the wives that was executed by Henry VIII.

Elizabeth also pointed out a connection with the Titanic disaster that i myself had not realised. Williams first cousin - John Jacob Astor IV was one of the passengers that died when the Titanic sank.

Hever Castle and the grounds are now open to the public, i have visited many times - my daughter Alix loves the hedge maze and the water maze in the garden. Many places inside the castle itself have remained pretty much unchanged, including the quarters that Anne Boleyn grew up in.

More information about the castle and it's history can be found on the website.
                              http://www.hevercastle.co.uk/

So Elizabeth, with the information that you have provided, i know for certain that you have indeed solved this puzzle. Well done! And i agree with ombugge, cannot wait to see what puzzle you come up with!

Comment

HMMMMM...now you've set my brain cells in motion....a puzzle...a puzzle...hmmmm....

Comment

Working...
                                X