No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a tricky one. I have looked at Cave Dwellings all over the world but not been able to find anything that resembles these. I would guess maybe somewhere in China, but nothing concrete in the pics to say that.
    Any small hint to offer?

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
      Nooo, you won't find this place in these parts, we be having some proper nice places down this way, but we be having nothing like that! Got a few old tin mines mind, they be interestin'.
      Also copper mines - there was the Wheal Friendship at Mary Tavy. I tried without success to find the origin of the name as applied to the mine. It is a Devonshire surname, I have Friendships in my family tree from several generations back and it was used as a second forename right down to my maternal grandfather. A quarter of me is Devonshire, from both parents, and I'm proud of it.
      Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
      Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        This is a tricky one. I have looked at Cave Dwellings all over the world but not been able to find anything that resembles these. I would guess maybe somewhere in China, but nothing concrete in the pics to say that.
        Any small hint to offer?
        These caves were rediscovered by Europeans in the 1800's, hidden behind masses of undergrowth.

To be more specific with the date would make it too easy.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

These caves were rediscovered by Europeans in the 1800's, hidden behind masses of undergrowth.

To be more specific with the date would make it too easy.
          OK. Solved. This is Anjanta Caves, Maharashtra, India.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
            OK. Solved. This is Anjanta Caves, Maharashtra, India.
            Correct, they are indeed the Anjanta Caves. Since 1983 the caves have been a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

The caves were rediscovered by a British officer of the Madras army in 1819. The caves are thought to originate back to around the 2nd and 1st century BCE.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ajanta_Caves
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Well then it is my turn again. A bit different this time.

Here is a typical English Pub, but where and what is the name:

Hint: This one comes with a bit of a history, but what is it?
              Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 15:47.

Comment

is it the bar of cheers,the tv comedyseries,
                what stands in boston.
                best regards Thijs

Comment

An English Pub with a history.... knowing how big the world is, that could be a really, really difficult find!
                  With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
                  Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                    An English Pub with a history.... knowing how big the world is, that could be a really, really difficult find!
                    Yes, but there are some hints in the picture which narrows it down. Besides this being a nautical forum of sorts, that may narrows it down even further.

Comment

Have not been here for a few days, but after having a quick look at the photo of the pub, i think my first wild guess would have to be something like the 'Gypsy Moth', or 'Cutty Sark' public houses. They are situated in Greenwich S/E London. Obviously a strong maritime connection, and also a very strong 'time zone' connection.

That is my guess for now, i wonder how many thousands of miles out i will be?

Comment

Have not been here for a few days, but after having a quick look at the photo of the pub, i think my first wild guess would have to be something like the 'Gypsy Moth', or 'Cutty Sark' public houses. They are situated in Greenwich S/E London. Obviously a strong maritime connection, and also a very strong 'time zone' connection.

That is my guess for now, i wonder how many thousands of miles out i will be?
                        Your quick look is VERY close indeed. It is in fact "The Cricketers" in Greenwich, which is next door to the National Maritime Museum, Trinity House and the Cutty Sark (or what is left of it) so it can't be much more Maritime then that.

The "Historic event" that happened in this Pub was the murder of Cathrine Smith by her lover, 80 year old pensioner John Smith in 1822 in a jealous rage.
                        He wrote a poem about his deed and what made him do it, before he was hung. It can be found here: http://www.londonnasuwt.org.uk/gtmc/...JOHN_SMITH.htm

We had a few beers in this Pub during a visit to London and Greenwich back in 2003 and bought a little book they were selling about the murder.

I don't know if it is still there, or has been over run by modernity, though.

It is over to you again Steve.

Comment

Greenwich is a place i really must visit again sometime soon. I have not stopped there since i was a child with my father. From what i can remember it i had a very good day there visiting the Maritime Museum, the Cutty Sark and the Royal Observatory that is situated in Greenwich Park. Greenwich Park is a lovely place to spend sometime on a warm summers day, i remember having a picnic under the shade of a large tree whilst looking down on the large curve of the River Thames.

The Cutty Sark's restoration should finally be finished within the next two years - even after the fire that nearly destroyed her a few years ago. It is estimated that when restored, 90% of the Cutty Sark will still be original. Thankfully when the fire took hold most of her original timbers, spars and fittings were off site whilst the hull was receiving restoration. Reading through the Cutty Sark website i have learnt that the fire may have been a blessing in disguise for the old ship. The fire exposed weaknesses and corrosion in the ships wrought iron frames that had not been discovered before. The fire has given the restorers the opportunity to strengthen these areas.

I certainly look forward to seeing the ship back together once more.

So, i shall now endeavor to post another puzzle that will last a day or two.

Which place is this?

For a clue, maybe these buildings are not as 'English' as they may seem.

Comment

For a clue, maybe these buildings are not as 'English' as they may seem.
                            I don't think I've ever seen a more "English" looking photo...LOL Add thatched roofs and it would be perfect......absolutely perfect. Too perfect, almost...

hmmmm....

Who does über-perfect????

Japanese??? Disney????

Comment

Could it be Thames Town, near Shanghai, China?

Comment

Now before you all go off to every corner of the world, i will tell you that this place is in England. But was the person that built these buildings English?, no.

Now for a bit more of a teaser, how old do these buildings look?, again, do not be deceived.

Comment

Working...
                                X