No announcement yet.

What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I shall try again to give you all a challenge.

Where is this building? And why is it historically important?

Where is this place?
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Off the cuff; the old tower at Tempelhof Airport, Berlin. (Now a Museum)??
      If so, it is famous for the Berlin Air lift in 1947-48.

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
        Off the cuff; the old tower at Tempelhof Airport, Berlin. (Now a Museum)??
        If so, it is famous for the Berlin Air lift in 1947-48.
        No, your first guess is not correct, this is not Tempelhof Airport.
        Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

The steering wheel of the cars indicates that they are driving on the lefthand side of the road.
          Have another clue?
          Ĝistein

If at first you don’t succeed, skydiving is not for you...

Comment

I feel confident it's got something to do with airport-aircrafts-airlines....

The style of the building reminds me of a similar one I saw at Honolulu, Hawaii... could we be heading the right direction?
            With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
            Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

The white car on the left side is a Vauxhall, no Opel. And that New Beetle has the position lamps of the US version. Maybe this helps someone, me not at the moment...
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Oistein View Post
                The steering wheel of the cars indicates that they are driving on the lefthand side of the road.
                Have another clue?
                You are on to something there Ĝistein.

Originally posted by pakarang View Post
                I feel confident it's got something to do with airport-aircrafts-airlines....

The style of the building reminds me of a similar one I saw at Honolulu, Hawaii... could we be heading the right direction?
                Pakarang, correct in one respect, but way off on the other.

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                The white car on the left side is a Vauxhall, no Opel. And that New Beetle has the position lamps of the US version. Maybe this helps someone, me not at the moment...
                Be careful you do not get led astray Ralf.

[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                  Hmm, driving on the left hand side of the road and mostly European cars. That should narrow it down a bit
                  Somewhere in the UK? Maybe a bit south? Has the Airport-like building been deliberately made to deceive us??? Hard one this.
                  I'm not able to crack this one at the moment.

Comment

Hmm, driving on the left hand side of the road and mostly European cars. That should narrow it down a bit
                    Somewhere in the UK? Maybe a bit south? Has the Airport-like building been deliberately made to deceive us??? Hard one this.
                    I'm not able to crack this one at the moment.
                    The building is original.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
                      The building is original.
                      I didn't think you had done Photo shop job to deceive us. More like the building has a different purpose from what it appears to be.
                      But you have just confirmed that it has something to do with an Airport, I believe? Now it only to figure out which.
                      It looks distinctive mid-1930s German to me, but the style was adopted other places as well.
                      I haven't got the time. Good luck solving this one.

Comment

But you have just confirmed that it has something to do with an Airport, I believe? Now it only to figure out which.
                        This is correct, an airport connection indeed.

Comment

That is a spare thingy from the Zealand storm dam, it was left over when the storm dam was built. It is now used by climbers and divers for recreation at the 'Neeltje Jans' water park. (I hope i got that nearly correct, my Dutch is very bad!)

http://www.digischool.nl/bi/onderwat...d/neeltjej.htm
                          correct steve,but not in everything,but if you writed over from that digischool,there is nothing to blame you for.

it is NOT a spare pier,every pier get his own place in the barrier,so non of the piers are the same ,so no 2 of a kind,so no use for a spare one.(they had even calculate that is is cheaper that if one will be damaged (by a ship or else) to make a big dry dock and built a new one on that place.)
                          another point was that the mv OSTREA wich had placed the piers;a,cant get at that pier anymore when the barrier was finisht;b,the vessel not longer exict anymore.sold or scrapt,because he was useless now.
                          different piers has to do with depht of the water so that has to do how high the steel gates had to be on that spot.

that there is a "spare" has to do with where the dutch welknown are for,
                          beeing cheap.

by not using that pier (what already was built for millions of guilders) they could safe millions of guilders for 1 steel door less to built and closing that gap through rocks and sand.

another misstake of that site is that they had left it there where it was build.
                          they had replaced it to where he now is,closer to the park so that they can go there by a wireponton.

some info

tidal channels:
                          Hammen: wide 1.12 miles max.dept;98 feet
                          1.8 km 30m

Schaar van roggenplaat: wide 0.74 miles max dept.82 ft
                          1.2 km 25 m

Roompot: wide 1.55 miles max dept148 ft
                          2.5 km 45 m

piers

total of 65 ,build 66
                          pier base 82x164 ft 25x50 m
                          weight 18.000 tons max

steel gates:
                          total62 ,in hammen15, in schaar 16 and roompot 31
                          lenght;141 ft =43 m
                          thicknis:18 ft =5.4 m
                          height: between 19 and 39 ft =5.9m and 11.9 m
                          weight;between 300 tons and 535 tons

by building that barrier they have reduced the change of flood to one in every 4000 years
                          the storm barrier has been designed to last 200 years,so the next 175 years we are reasonable safe

easier then i thought, that one piece of concrete is so fames.
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

Thanks for correcting my errors janihudi. I struggled with the language, and even the google translater was not that great at translating Dutch into English. And if the info was wrong on the website i was on to a loser from the start.

I remembered seeing a picture of the 'thingy' before in a magazine, and remembered it was something to do with somesort of flood barrier in Holland or Denmark or somewhere near there. It still took a lot of googling before i found it though. If i had not seen it in a magazine i would not have solved it, i would never have guessed it was part of a flood defense system.
                            Last edited by Steve.B; April 23rd, 2010, 04:05. Reason: Typo

Comment

This is correct, an airport connection indeed.
                              OK, it is Croydon Airport, London's first international airport and where many early pioneer flights started or terminated. Used by famous people like Winston Churchill and Charles Lindbergh. Royalty used it for various early flights and it figure RAF history in two World Wars.
                              Art Deco did spread far and wide.

Comment

Croydon Airport it is, well done to you Sir.

Croydon airport was important in terms of history for a few reasons, you have mentioned a few of them, another historical occasion was when Amy Johnson became the first female to fly solo from England to Australia, she took off from Croydon on the 5th of May 1930, arriving in Darwin on the 24th.

Croydon was also the first airport to implement an 'air traffic control' system.

I deliberately chose a view of the rear of the building for the puzzle, the more common view in photos is of the front of the terminal building, but the fact that there is a 'De Havilland Heron' mounted outside, i thought i would avoid that view, i would not want to have made it too easy!

More about the airport can be found in the Wiki article.
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydon_Airport

So it's now back to you. I will be away for a week now, so i shall leave you all to puzzle each other!

Comment

Working...
                                X