Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
    Where in the world may this be???
    My first thought goes to Afghanistan or China.
    With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
    Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

I am sure there must be a clue in the photo somewhere, but i have not spotted it yet. My first thought was America, but i am not sure. Umm, a road going through steep cliffs with power lines running through.

Is there a clue in the photo Ombugge?
      Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
        I am sure there must be a clue in the photo somewhere, but i have not spotted it yet. My first thought was America, but i am not sure. Umm, a road going through steep cliffs with power lines running through.

Is there a clue in the photo Ombugge?
        Pakarang is on to something here, but need to be defined closer.

Comment

Thanks for the hint, i think maybe i will take a closer look at the famous Silk Road, just incase this location is along it somewhere.

EDIT: I should have paid more attention at school, there are of course several routes that the old 'silk road' trading routes took. This could take a while!
          Last edited by Steve.B; April 19th, 2010, 00:17.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

OK, my turn again.
            Here is a not too clear scan of a picture I received by e-mail from one of my sons some time ago:

Where in the world may this be???
            Ok, i think i will take a guess at this one. Could this road be in Afghanistan? To the North of Kabul?, Could this road be the A76, and could this road also be part of the road that is also known as the 'Salang Pass'? Maybe somewhere between Baghlan and Kholm? Either that or the 'Salang Valley'.

Just a rough guess.
            Last edited by Steve.B; April 19th, 2010, 03:49.

Comment

Ok, i think i will take a guess at this one. Could this road be in Afghanistan? To the North of Kabul?, Could this road be the A76, and could this road also be part of the road that is also known as the 'Salang Pass'? Maybe somewhere between Baghlan and Kholm? Either that or the 'Salang Valley'.

Just a rough guess.
              A very good rough guess. It isx indeed Salang Pass in Afghanistan. The pix was taken by one of my son on assignment escourting a group of German senior officers on a trip from Kabul to Mashara-a-Sharif a couple of years ago.

I posted another one from that trip taken at the entrance to Salang Tunnel in another thread some time ago. (A bus with two Toyota Corolas on top)

The baton has been passed.

Comment

I posted another one from that trip taken at the entrance to Salang Tunnel in another thread some time ago. (A bus with two Toyota Corolas on top)
                That's how i solved the puzzle. After a lot of searching the Afghan and China border areas with no luck, I had another look at the photo for this puzzle - studying it for some detail, a carving in the rock or something. Then whilst i read your text with the image something suddenly clicked - Afghan - a photo your son sent you??? That rang a bell. After a bit of thinking i remembered you had posted a photo somewhere before from one of your sons, and i was sure that it was Afghanistan. I soon recalled the image of a coach with Toyota's on the roof, and i knew which thread to look in for it! That post gave me the Salang Tunnel, and after a quick google i got the Salang Pass. A quick look at some YouTube videos seemed to confirm that your puzzle photo was indeed taken at the Salang Pass!

So onto the next puzzle.

What Place is This?

Photo Credit - David Bjorgen
                Last edited by Steve.B; April 19th, 2010, 22:11. Reason: Adding photo credit

Comment

Ah I recognise this one! (although I have never been there).
                  It’s Petra in Jordan.

In poem by John William Burgon it was famously described as “a rose-red city half as old as time”.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
                    Ah I recognise this one! (although I have never been there).
                    It’s Petra in Jordan.
                    Indeed it is, this is a small view of the Treasury at Petra.

Now i have the honor of passing over to you Cecilia! I am sure you will be able to come up with a good one for us!

Comment

That's how i solved the puzzle. After a lot of searching the Afghan and China border areas with no luck, I had another look at the photo for this puzzle - studying it for some detail, a carving in the rock or something. Then whilst i read your text with the image something suddenly clicked - Afghan - a photo your son sent you??? That rang a bell. After a bit of thinking i remembered you had posted a photo somewhere before from one of your sons, and i was sure that it was Afghanistan. I soon recalled the image of a coach with Toyota's on the roof, and i knew which thread to look in for it! That post gave me the Salang Tunnel, and after a quick google i got the Salang Pass. A quick look at some YouTube videos seemed to confirm that your puzzle photo was indeed taken at the Salang Pass!

So onto the next puzzle.

What Place is This?

Photo Credit - David Bjorgen
                      Good thinking and deductions Steve.

As for this puzzle; I think this Petra, Jordan.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't scroll down far enough before posting. Seagull has the honour of solving this one.
                      Last edited by ombugge; April 20th, 2010, 04:04.

Comment

Here is your new puzzle!
                        (I’ll be away the rest of today, so you've lots of time to think about it!)

Comment

is this Evita's pink palace in buenos aires Argentinia???
                          best regards Thijs

Comment

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
                            is this Evita's pink palace in buenos aires Argentinia???
                            Yes! Congratulations to janihudi.! Absolutely correct identification with no further clues required!

My train of thought from the last puzzle was of course a pink building, rose-red in that poem about Petra I quoted. That made me think of the Casa Rosada in Buenos Aires. I saw it when in Buenos Aires en route for Antarctica, but as you say it is memorable to many from the filmed version of the musical Evita in which Madonna was cast as Eva Perón.

Over to you janihudi for the next puzzle.

Comment

thank you Cecillia.

i didn't know the pallace,but that was the discripe at the image on google, just search til you find a pink palace that match with your image.

oke a new one

a.what is this
                              b.where is/was it intent to use for
                              c.where can you find this thingy

best regards Thijs

Comment

That is a spare thingy from the Zealand storm dam, it was left over when the storm dam was built. It is now used by climbers and divers for recreation at the 'Neeltje Jans' water park. (I hope i got that nearly correct, my Dutch is very bad!)

http://www.digischool.nl/bi/onderwat...d/neeltjej.htm
                                Last edited by Steve.B; April 22nd, 2010, 01:13.

Comment

Working...
                                X