What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
    I guess you stayed in the Equatorial Hotel in Bringchang. The Rosa Passadena Hotel is the building in front. The view goes towards the Strawberry Park Resort. But that is a wild guess because the Google Earth picture has a very low resolution...
    Congratulation!!! Here is the same picture without whit-out:

The Tudor style house on top of the hill is the "summer retreat" for the Sultan of Pahang and his family. (The Sultan's Palace)

Here is few bonus pics from Cameron Highlands. First from the Butterfly Park:

Another type of insect, which attract a lot of attention:

A well tended Tea Plantation:

And a not so well tended Planter's vehicle:

Comment

Well, my first guess was Sultans Palace but i could not find a suitable picture... Will come back with a new puzzle soon.
      Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Too easy? We need the ship's name, river and town! Go on!

Comment

I am so convinced that this is a river out from a big European city: either in France or in Germany.

I might be going out on a limb here, but I vaguely remember Crystal Symphony navigating a very similar river: is that possible?
          With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
          Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

No chance for Crystal Symphony on this part of the river!!!
            Where this river leads to the sea, there is a large city and port. But this is many, many kilometers away from this place.

Comment

No chance for Crystal Symphony on this part of the river!!!

Where this river leads to the sea, there is a large city and port. But this is many, many kilometers away from this place.
              So many places look alike... my memory is getting worse and worse...

Could we be in Switzerland?

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

As far as i know, ships of this kind are only cruising over the lakes in Switzerland...
                There are not many places left with paddle steamers in regular service!

Comment

I have a big problem identifying the paddle steamer, but I think it might be on Lake Geneva...

Comment

RIVER, captain, not lake.
                    And therefore not in Switzerland.

Like me you are a too-fast-reader.

s-l-o-w-l-y a-n-d c-l-e-a-r:
                    There are not many places (rivers) left with paddle steamers in regular service!

Just to put you on the right track...

Comment

Too easy? We need the ship's name, river and town! Go on!

The ship is the oldest Paddle steamer in continuous use in Germany, "Diesbar", built in 1884. The river is Elbe, which is navigable from the mouth at Hamburg all the way to the Czech border and beyond, (incl. to Prague)
                      The exact town is a bit harder, but the boat is cruising the Elbe from Dresden so I'll stick to that as the nearest I can guess.

Comment

You are very close Ombugge!

Elbe is correct, but this is not "Diesbar". Diesbar has no upper deck. Also Dresden ist not the correct place, since the river there is wider and the city is much bigger. But you can find the view on Google Earth..

Comment

You are very close Ombugge!

Elbe is correct, but this is not "Diesbar". Diesbar has no upper deck. Also Dresden ist not the correct place, since the river there is wider and the city is much bigger. But you can find the view on Google Earth..
                          Not the Diesbar? I got taken in by this older picture said to be the Diesbar:

Then I found another and newer picture of the same boat:

It is obviously not the same steamer.

A little more research and I think this is the Paddle Steamer "Meissen":

As for the town, it will have to be somewhere in the Elbe valley above Dresden. My best guess is Stadt Wehlen or there abouts.
                          Last edited by ombugge; April 9th, 2010, 12:08.

Comment

Bingo! Meissen is it!
                            Yes, there is a lot of wrong information in the web. It is always better to find two independent sources.

It is not Wehlen, but Pirna, but that is just in the neigbourhood, so i declare this as solved.
                            There are not much wineyards in this are, one is shown at the picture, so that would have been the last hint...

More information about the whole fleet, they have nine (!) of them running, here:
                            http://www.saechsische-dampfschiffahrt.de/en/

By the way, a wonderful area to spend a week there...

Comment

RIVER, captain, not lake.
                              And therefore not in Switzerland.

Like me you are a too-fast-reader.

s-l-o-w-l-y a-n-d c-l-e-a-r:
                              There are not many places (rivers) left with paddle steamers in regular service!

Just to put you on the right track...
                              A bit too fast reading there, yes indeed.... had to head up driving a ferry so I had to hurry... is that a valid excuse?

Comment

OK, my turn again.
                                Here is a not too clear scan of a picture I received by e-mail from one of my sons some time ago:

Where in the world may this be???
                                Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 15:42.

Comment

Working...
                                X