What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Next guess. Is this a signal tower, using smoke as warning and later semaphore for transmitting messages?
    Where??? I have no idea, but maybe somewhere in Sweden?

Comment

...the correct bit here is that it is indeed somewhere in Sweden!

Comment

Is it an incinerator of some kind, with the "window" acting as a damper? It seems to be placed on high ground amongst trees, so was it once built to burn surplus timber when trees were felled?
        Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
        Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

No…not an incinerator. In one sense ombugge’s “signal tower” was nearer the mark, though not at all in the way he was thinking.

May I suggest you first give some thought as to what, basically, might be inside the tower that produced the smoke caught on my photo.

When you’ve got that far I might be persuaded to provide a further clue to determining the actual function of what is inside….and then finally we can progress to what it is that makes it function (and this place special).

Comment

Could this be somesort of engine or pump house? Having said that i really am finding it hard to tie that tall window in with that idea.
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Seagull View Post
              May I suggest you first give some thought as to what, basically, might be inside the tower that produced the smoke caught on my photo.
              That is easy; "No smoke without fire". But why is there fire??? I have no clue. It is even hard to determine where the smoke emits from, the small openings, or from the top of the structure?? (With a down draft)

I'm also curious about the function of the black "thing" on the right side of the tower??

When you’ve got that far I might be persuaded to provide a further clue to determining the actual function of what is inside….and then finally we can progress to what it is that makes it function (and this place special).
              We haven't progressed that far, but is it possible to have one more clue???

Comment

Steve: No there is not an engine or pump in the tower
                Ombugge: There was a kind of subtle clue in my exact wording of “the smoke caught on my photo”. Perhaps I was hinting that I had to be poised with my camera to capture the moment…now that doesn’t sound like there is simply a fire lit inside the tower for incinerating, smoking, heating, baking or some such gradual function, does it!!! So one last chance for you all to suggest what is in there to cause that smoke, before I move on to further clues….

Comment

So it was probably an explosion causing the smoke. Anything to do with mining, with some sort of signal produced to warn of the next spell of dynamiting (or whatever they use these days)?
                  Ivy

Comment

Nothing to do with mining…but YES an explosion such as you would get from firing a - - - - - - .

To help you with the next stage of determining why this is done, I will look out some picture clues (taken elsewhere), while you are filling in the letters!

Comment

Cannon? But what on earth????? Rocket, or maroon - as in shipwreck? Up there????? Eeee-eee-ee, this is getting to me.
                      Ivy

Comment

A gun as a time signal? I tried those in Sweden but so far couldn't find any in a brick tower.
                        Ivy

Comment

Excellent wherrygirl! - it is indeed a cannon as time signal, and so that saves me posting a clue photo of Edinburgh Castle where the One O'Clock Gun is fired from!

So now you can consider what is special about our puzzle…what sets off this cannon?

As you mentioned "Rocket, or maroon - as in shipwreck" I suppose it is only fair to give you the extra clue that there isn't actually a nautical connection (though it is situated by a lake).
                          Last edited by Seagull; October 19th, 2011, 19:21. Reason: ...added extra clue info!

Comment

So now you can consider what is special about our puzzle…what sets off this cannon?
                            The slant of the sun's rays through that window, or more likely it's a mirror, falling on a dial or a straight length of, say, metal marked with the hours and with some sort of trigger at each hour mark which sets off the cannon?
                            Last edited by wherrygirl; October 19th, 2011, 21:06.
                            Ivy

Comment

II think we are looking for a place where there is Yacht Racing and this is where the start gun is fired.
                              Since this is a lake, not the sea I guess we are somewhere around Maelaren, but I haven't been able to find a location that fits.
                              For lack of a better guess; is this where the start gun is fired for the Finn Race held by Ekolns Segelklubb, Skarsholmen, near Uppsala?

Comment

Working backwards….well it is just a small lake, and one I associates with a more sedate mode of transport than those racing Yachts that Tommi treats us to photos of. So no, ombugge, though I’m sorry…it was a really nice idea!

So Ivy! YES…you are correct. Congratulations! Mind you, I think you have just invented the Mkll version, going off every hour like that!

But yes, a Solar Cannon. Now you just have to find out where in Sweden it is!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X