X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here is another puzzle.

What place is this?

And here is your first clue.
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
      The bridge is the 'Akashi-Kaikyō Bridge' in Japan, it links the city of Kobe to Awaji Island.
      Off course, spot on... now to the next one..

Uhmmmm.... I guess we are in the tropics somewhere... but where?
      With best regards from Jan-Olav Storli

Administrator and Owner of CaptainsVoyage.
      Main page: http://www.captainsvoyage.com

Surround yourself with positive, ethical people who are committed to excellence.

Comment

So here is another puzzle.

What place is this?
        This could be another ravine in Bali, but something tells me it isn't.

And here is your first clue.
        A broken pipe is a clue?? Something disused again?
        The vegetation looks lush but not tropical. Must be somewhere mild and not too far away from Steve B's haunts.

This is Shanklin Chine on the Isle of Wright, which is the nearest to tropical you find in the UK, I believe? Link; http://www.shanklinchine.co.uk/

I don't know if that is where palms grow wild in the UK, but they do somewhere on the South coast. Steve can probably pinpoint that as well??

Comment

Originally posted by ombugge View Post
          This could be another ravine in Bali, but something tells me it isn't.

A broken pipe is a clue?? Something disused again?
          The vegetation looks lush but not tropical. Must be somewhere mild and not too far away from Steve B's haunts.

This is Shanklin Chine on the Isle of Wright, which is the nearest to tropical you find in the UK, I believe? Link; http://www.shanklinchine.co.uk/

I don't know if that is where palms grow wild in the UK, but they do somewhere on the South coast. Steve can probably pinpoint that as well??
          You are spot on ombugge! Shanklin Chine on the Isle of Wight it is. Not sure how you nailed that one so quickly, my vote would go for either the pipe giving it away, or the fact that you guessed it would be very close to one of my usual haunts?

The pipe you see in the second photo is a part of the original pipe that supplied fuel to the allies during WW2 - P.L.U.T.O - Pipeline under the Ocean.

Photo Credit- Peter Trimming.

This would have been another of my clues. The rig used to lay this type of pipe.

Two types of pipe were used for PLUTO, the first being derived from the outer shell of submarine telecommunications cable, this type was very flexible. And the second type was a much more rigid steel pipe known by the name of 'HAMEL'. It is this second type of pipe that is shown in the photos.
          More about PLUTO can be found here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Pluto

The Chine is a steep, narrow wooded valley that leads down to the beach at Shanklin. Chine is a local name for these steep gullies eroded through the soft sandstone by streams. There are several of them along the south coast of the island. The southerly facing location of Shanklin Chine, coupled with the fact it is so narrow and densely wooded does lead it to have a 'tropical' feel. Being so sheltered, many species of plant that are not normally common in England happily grow in the damp moist conditions.

And yes, this is one of more regular haunts, i am normally down on the island for a week or two each year, and if you follow the chine down to the beach below you will come across my favorite pub - The Fishermans Cottage.

Last edited by Steve.B; March 30th, 2010, 13:48.
          Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Pluto Salvage

Another link that concerns the pluto pipe line. This one is an account of the salvage operations that took place after the war in order to recover the pipe lines from the sea bed. All sorts of problems were encountered - fuel laying in pipes that should have been flushed, and maps showing the pipes on the sea bed being wrong. Also major problems were encountered when pipe lines were found to have been laid across each other. A very interesting read when you have the time.
            http://www.combinedops.com/PLUTO_resurrected2.htm
            Last edited by Steve.B; March 30th, 2010, 14:17.

Comment

No, I did not pick up on the PLUTO bit until I had solved the puzzle. I had heard of it but did not associate it with the broken pipe in your hint. I was looking for some disused reservoir in stead.

At first I though it may be some hill station in the foothills of Himalaya, where vegetation is lush and ferns are very common.
              Then I concluded that is was probably closer to "home" for Steve. Isle of Wright being near to Steve and the nearest to tropical you can find in the UK, the rest was easy.

I remembered a colleague who left a message on his machine; "Gone to UK to look for Palms" (???)
              When he returned I learnt that there was one species of the Palm family that actually grew wild in the UK, somewhere on the south coast.

But I still don't remember where he claimed to have found the Palms. Could it be the "Gunnera Manicata", described as growing in the Shankline Cline??

Comment

I remembered a colleague who left a message on his machine; "Gone to UK to look for Palms" (???)
                When he returned I learnt that there was one species of the Palm family that actually grew wild in the UK, somewhere on the south coast.

But I still don't remember where he claimed to have found the Palms. Could it be the "Gunnera Manicata", described as growing in the Shankline Cline??
                Ah yes, i know the plant that you mention, it does indeed grow in the chine, but i do not know if it is a member of the palm family. All i know is that by September the leaves are massive, some easily 5-6 feet or larger across. Tucked away in a box somewhere i have some photos of my children standing under one of the leaves when they were youngsters. I know that this plant is now available in many garden centres across the UK, but up until a few years ago you would have only found it in botanical gardens and places like that. But it's been in the chine at Shanklin for has long has i can remember.

Ventnor is another place on the islands south coast that is said to be home to some tropical species of plants, especially around the undercliff area, but again, i have very limited knowledge of what they are. Since Victorian days there's always been a botanical gardens situated at the undercliff, and i know that it contains many species of palm.
                http://www.botanic.co.uk/default.asp

Comment

Thanks Steve. There are many types of Palms being cultivated, even as far north as Southern Sweden, but not growing in the wild.

In any case, time for a new puzzle. Where in the world is this??

Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 15:39.

Comment

Umm, my first thought is that it might be somewhere quite high up, just thinking that because it seems to be the place for lots of antennas of varying types. I also think i can make out oriental style lettering on the front of one of the small buildings?, so somewhere in the far east? I will have to investigate further!

Comment

I have not really had a chance to look at this one today, and i am going to be busy with family for the next few days. Would be great to find this one solved when i get back on again! I shall probably pop by the forum when i get the chance, but i doubt i will get away with sitting on here for ages trying to solve puzzles. Good luck trying to solve this latest one, could be a tough nut to crack!

Comment

I have not really had a chance to look at this one today, and i am going to be busy with family for the next few days. Would be great to find this one solved when i get back on again! I shall probably pop by the forum when i get the chance, but i doubt i will get away with sitting on here for ages trying to solve puzzles. Good luck trying to solve this latest one, could be a tough nut to crack!
                        Have a good Easter holiday Steve. Hope somebody else take up the challenge and solve this one.

There are indeed a Chinese sign. But there are also Tudor style houses, so where is this??
                        It could be anywhere with a Chinese Restaurant, which cover just about the entire world these days.

But you are right, it is somewhere closer to home for me, which puts us in the Far East.

Comment

In any case, time for a new puzzle. Where in the world is this??

Since nobody has come up with a place to fit this picture, it is time for another hint; Well known for its Tea Plantations and Strawberries.
                          Last edited by ombugge; April 16th, 2011, 15:40.

Comment

...so we should then concentrate on a search in the Cameron Highlands???
                            Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                              ...so we should then concentrate on a search in the Cameron Highlands???
                              You are entirely right Rafl. This is Cameron Highlands, Pahang, Malaysia.
                              That is near enough, but can you pinpoint the village and the Tudor style building on top of the hill as well??? (Bonus Points)

Comment

I guess you stayed in the Equatorial Hotel in Bringchang. The Rosa Passadena Hotel is the building in front. The view goes towards the Strawberry Park Resort. But that is a wild guess because the Google Earth picture has a very low resolution...
                                Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Working...
                                X