What place is this?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What place is this?

Late afternoon helps. I guesstimate that the road could be running in an easterly direction, with just a touch of north. (Conclusion take from shadows thrown from electricity pylons on the ground).

That will help me to orientate Google Earth to something closer to your view.
    I have been looking around China, am i in the right part of the world?
    Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve.B View Post
      Late afternoon helps. I guesstimate that the road could be running in an easterly direction, with just a touch of north. (Conclusion take from shadows thrown from electricity pylons on the ground).

That will help me to orientate Google Earth to something closer to your view.
      I have been looking around China, am i in the right part of the world?
      In a broad sense yes, but wrong country.

Comment

5 days and nobody even try to solve this one?
        Here is another picture taken soon after on approach to the airport:

I don't know if this will help, but at least it push the thread ahead again.

Comment

Has the interest in this thread dropped, or is it just the summer weather that distract??

Seagull, you cannot use the excuse of being distracted by lunch or dinner (as in the "Where is Hurtigruten"-thread) when coming in to land at this place some time ago.

Comment

Nobody solved this one yet? Guess i will have to step in and give you all the answer. Though i am surprised our Captain did not solve this one.

Mr Ombugge, in your first picture you were flying above Khum Thong.
            And you were approximately 23 miles from touchdown at Bangkok International Airport.

The long straight road/railway you can see in your photo is indeed a railway, and i was more or less correct in my earlier guess saying that it was running in an Easterly direction. I was not spot on because i suggested it was running East with a touch of North, you will see from the aerial photo below that it actually travels East with a touch of South.

So there you go, i think this one is solved. Your second photo did not help, i have not managed to find that location. After a very long search in various countries i was on the point of giving up. But then i remembered you saying something about some of our members may recognise the location. I took a guess that you could be referring to Jan-Olav, so off to Bangkok i went. It was then just a matter of following any long straight roads or railways in the area.
            Your charts, your radar, your eyes and ears - if all 4 agree, you may proceed with caution.

Comment

I am sorry, but the last pictures did not attract me to do a research.
              I am really not much into the airplane business as well as in war monuments... and yes, it is Summer and a lot of travels and CV meetings need my attention... and there is still "Hurtigruten - Minutt for Minutt" to follow...

But i will be back, as soon as a puzzle thrills me and i have a sudden idea...

Last edited by Ralf__; July 8th, 2011, 16:08.
              Lofoten '07 ...... Nordnorge '11

Comment

Well Steve, you must have solved this one just as I posted my last hint about Seagull being there not so long ago.
                Yes it is indeed approaching Bangkok International at 1715 hrs. on 31. May, 2011 and I'll take your word for the name of the place just below.

I posted several pictures from Pattaya and Laem Chabang in the days just after, so it may have been easier to solve by using your own suggestion to track my recent travels, rather than roads/railways heading east/west, or close to it.

This is definitely your thread as it is back to you again, Steve.

PS> Seagull may be souring over the waters in Kristiansund today and not paying attention to CVF at the moment.
                Last edited by ombugge; July 8th, 2011, 17:50.

Comment

I think we did post at the same time, i had not seen the clue relating to Seagull when i posted. I did have a go at looking at places you had been to, i had a look at the area's around Negara Brunei Darussalam, then i went looking around Burma and a few other places. But i had not realised you had posted photos from Pattaya and Laem Chabang.

Anyway, let's carry on with this one.

Which place is this?

Photo Credit - Pete, from his Panoramio page.
                  Last edited by Steve.B; July 15th, 2011, 16:33. Reason: Adding photo credit.

Comment

That is interesting. But i am just packing my things for my tomorrow's meeting with Lady E and family, after that three days work in CZ, back on Thursday.
                    But this looks definitely not like a "real" train. The size is to small, look at the man in comparison to the tunnel gate. This could be a train in a fun park...
                    But which one???

Comment

I took a closer look at the picture but that is not helping me so far. Maybe if you answer some questions.

Although the wall is in construction, the tracks look like they are older. Also the plants and the tunnel are having a years-old symbiosis, so it must be a traditional, well known park, right?

There are some trees, that lead me to a more southern surrounding, can you confirm that we are not on the British islands?

The train looks like a working train. Is that right? Do the regular trains for the visitors look different?

Is that the "waving cat" on the tunnel portal?
                      Last edited by Ralf__; July 16th, 2011, 12:22.

Comment

I had a feeling this one would interest Ralf!

Although the wall is in construction, the tracks look like they are older. Also the plants and the tunnel are having a years-old symbiosis, so it must be a traditional, well known park, right?
                        You are correct in saying that the tracks look older than the walls. But in railway terms the track bed itself is not that old. The line was built sometime in the last 40 years. Whilst i am not sure if it qualifies to be called a 'traditional park, i do believe that this line is now a very popular tourist attraction.

There are some trees, that lead me to a more southern surrounding, can you confirm that we are not on the British islands?
                        You are correct, this place is further south than the British Isles.

The train looks like a working train. Is that right? Do the regular trains for the visitors different?
                        From the pictures i have seen, i would say with 99% certainty that this photo was taken from onboard one of the passenger trains, not one of the working trains.

I will also add that the line is used for both passenger trains and working trains. By working trains i do not mean track and trackside maintenance trains, the working trains on this line serve another purpose.

Is that the "waving cat" on the tunnel portal?
                        Sorry, i cannot answer that question Ralf, i do not know.

There you go, that should help you in your search!
                        Last edited by Steve.B; July 14th, 2011, 19:16. Reason: Correcting mistake

Comment

Now that you were shipping around my "fun park" suggestion and also reported other than passenger trains, lead me further. Because of the trees i had a suggestion for NZL. These kind of waggon seems also unique, so i tried several combinations of key words. I did not find this specific tunnel portal, but i rather believe we are visiting "Driving Creek Potteries and Railway" here!

What a place. What a toy train! Great! Am i right? Have you been there some day?

Here is the internet site:

http://www.drivingcreekrailway.co.nz/CreatingDCR.cfm
                          Last edited by Ralf__; July 15th, 2011, 12:49.

Comment

Just discovered the train ride: Push the start button. What fun!!!

http://www.drivingcreekrailway.co.nz/Train_Ride.cfm

Comment

This is with Polish comment, but gives you the best impressions! Enjoy 8 minutes railway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUnw9HN-h9M

Comment

Originally posted by Ralf__ View Post
                                Now that you were shipping around my "fun park" suggestion and also reported other than passenger trains, lead me further. Because of the trees i had a suggestion for NZL. These kind of waggon seems also unique, so i tried several combinations of key words. I did not find this specific tunnel portal, but i rather believe we are visiting "Driving Creek Potteries and Railway" here!

What a place. What a toy train! Great! Am i right? Have you been there some day?

Here is the internet site:

http://www.drivingcreekrailway.co.nz/CreatingDCR.cfm
                                You found it Ralf! 'Driving Creek Potteries Railway' it is.

And i see you have discovered what a fabulous looking place it is. A really great little train line. I have not been there, but if i ever went to New Zealand i would most certainly visit the railway. In fact i think the railway would be a good reason to visit New Zealand on it's own!

What a layout, tunnels, reversing sidings out over the edge of the hill, viaducts on top of each other - Great fun! I am glad to see you found their website, and the map really shows how good the ride will be. And thanks for the link to the Youtube video, wow, nice long drop down over the side at one of the reversing sidings, and what a stunning view from the top.
                                Fantastic place i would love to visit oneday.

Well done Ralf, another one nicely solved!
                                Last edited by Steve.B; July 15th, 2011, 16:35. Reason: correcting mistake.

Comment

Working...
                                X