• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

still loose parts ,but this is what i have to look like

the two chassis parts glued together,let them dry for the night

best regards Thijs

Comment

Really pleased to see the thread I started without really thinking there would be that much interest in it, has soared to so many pages! Brilliant.

Some nice models as well. Still collecting WWII vehicles, myself, although I have to be more discerning now. I will also collect related items - I picked up a 'trackside' model of an Anderson Shelter in OO scale. Intended to be used on an allotment or similar on a model railway as it shows a door added to the front - but a nice addition. Personally, I'm not a builder of models as time does not permit this. Another current favourite is a WWI open top bus painted khaki green used for transporting troops to the front in France. Also, a recent model is of a replacement WWII bus for the Outer Circle route in my native Birmingham. This is painted in utility grey and comes with a bit of history. Replacements were required faster than livery painting allowed, so they simply painted the wheel arches and platform edges in white for blackout use.

Comment

• janihudi
        janihudi commented
        Editing a comment
        but why don't you show your collection Paul?

and the next problem showed up on this simple model.
      i bought wheels and tyres which belongs to the age of the truck, old type wheels.
      but they are to big for the trailer, the fill the wheel arches compleet.
      darn

the right wheel is the old type

those are better fitting, but also te big.
      and though it's a model, in real live there is not much place for suspension.,even when it was fully loaden like standing here

and it are todays model wheels, and truck rims.
      best regards Thijs

Comment

i have so many boxes with wheels and tyres , that i found a better size

the left ones, but again on new type of rims.
        the difference in rims, the left one is a trailer wheel ,the right one a truck wheel

the tyres on those wheels fit also on the old type rims ,so thats a problem solved,partly, the wheels are the type for traction axle, so for the truck ,not for a trailer.
        the aluminum rims on the truck are also the special bought ones, there big too,
        the bleu rims are just for looking how it looks when they all had them. the tyres on them i use for the trailer

best regards Thijs

Comment

• janihudi
          janihudi commented
          Editing a comment
          no i wassn't, but google for good images of those wheels.

these are the rims i had placed on the trailer, dubble air rims, meaning 2 single wheels mounted together
          every truck (well 99,9%) have those wheels on there traction axle.
          those wheels fitt at every axle,front axle, rea axle and trailers, older trailers then

the wheel you see here is the standard wheel.

like here it will be fit at the front axle .
          the first wheel placed at the traction axle will be placed the same way as that on the front axle.
          it will be the inner wheel of the dubble air wheel at the traction wheel
          then take a second same wheel , you turn it around ( you see the backside than ) and place that one against the inner wheel , and then you get those deep wheels
          and looks like the first image here, and also whats looked like what is under the tanktrailer
          Last edited by janihudi; December 24th, 2018, 10:54.

• janihudi
          janihudi commented
          Editing a comment
          if you compare the standard rim above with this one below, you see that the heart of the rim is inside the rim, while the standard axle have the heart outside the rim

also this rim could be placed everywhere at the truck, al the types of rims have the innersize size ,difference is 8 or 10 bolt holes.
          you can't place them everywhere because of the tyre size, suppersingles are wider.,so they won't fit under the normal tracion axle.
          and here comes the rest of that 99,9% back,0,01%, they are testing now with supersingles at the traction axles aswel.
          but the ''Highway Cruiser'' has supersingles at the steeringaxle. supersingles tyres don't fit under the standard rims, or VV

• wherrygirl
          wherrygirl commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh wow! Thijs, you have gone to a lot of trouble to find pics. and give detailed explanations to answer my questions. I really appreciate it.
          Had a quick shufti (kijkje) but will come back to it later today and study properly. Then people will see me standing by a stationary truck looking thoughtfully at its wheels and muttering "Ah yes, I see what he meant!

next problem,to find a proper exhaust
        to wide ,to high

best regards Thijs

Comment

and i have plenty to choose out

top row verticle exhaust , and 3 and 4 from the left side, looks the best

afterall i need a single one

bottom row ,are more or less side pipes, horizontal under the truck
          just see how it will looks

this is a sidepipe.
          it's starts direct from frontwheel and extends tll the rear axle , or just as long you wante it to be, but anyway it goes by the side of the truck

best regards Thijs

Comment

i can choose now from 3 exhausts

the single sidepipe, wnich looks good, but not a heatshield, also a chrome one and had to made it rusty

a shorter one ,with heatshield, but also chrome, and slightly shorter

best regards Thijs

Comment

the mistake i made as in #650 was that i placed them above the chassis.
              they are made for them thatswhy the supports at the exhausts.
              but here i placed it under the chassis ,same lenght as the doubble in #650.
              cut the support away for a part and bingo i got one i like.
              even if i think it's to high, i can cut of at the top.
              the Original truck didn't had the curve on top anyway

best regards Thijs

Comment

• wherrygirl
                wherrygirl commented
                Editing a comment
                It's probably the angle at which the photo was taken, but the exhaust looks a bit too close to the door to be comfortable, even with the heatshield! Yes, the grey one does seem to be the best choice. You'll have to add a few dirty smudges at the top end.

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                the best would be if there was a handle on it, maybe to make it by myself, or not LOL

yes it's the plan to do that,but it got to be rusty anyway, so i have to look for the rusty colors too

didn't done much today.
              spray painted the wheels
              and remove te Original landinglegs system and replace them for a more realistic model.
              not mouted them yet,the model is not on it's wheels,so don't know the exact hight for them.

also made a ladder for the tanktrailer,also not glued yet. it will give problem for the spray paint

best regards Thijs

Comment

• wherrygirl
                wherrygirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Why a problem with the paint spray? You'll spray before fixing it, won't you??? Though you'll be spraying more of the attic at the same time, I agree.

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                when i spray it with the ladder on it, i have to go around it with the spraycan and then you get on a few places more paint as i want, and then i have the change on a clap??????

i spray in a closet with a cooker hood in it,so the overspray is extracted to the outside

• wherrygirl
                wherrygirl commented
                Editing a comment
                That's why I said you'd be spraying the ladder before fixing it.
                Ah yes, I'd forgotten about the little closet and extraction set-up!

did some work on the Duel DAF again

made the fifth wheel on the truck and cut away the metal of the trailers kingpin so it will fit.
              boxes full with parts, but not even 1 round dieseltank, i got some,but to small, so this one will be the one that stays

also glued the landinglegs at the trailer

did some search for some images for details,but there are several trucks, but looking at videoclips, must this one be the Original

best regards Thijs

Comment

• wherrygirl
                wherrygirl commented
                Editing a comment
                First pic.: "So this one will be the one that stays". Just not good enough, man.
                Second pic.: What's the doodah sticking out of the engine, sort of pipe thing?

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                first pic; good enough for me for now anyway

second pic; thats the airfilter. the underside of the mushroom sucks the dirty air into the drum (yellow thinghy) inside is the airfilter ,cleans the air thats go inside the engine.

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                BTW, notice the exhaust, how close it's to the cab. it's here more at the side of the cab than behind the cab as on my DAF

drilled holes for the toplights on the roof and the mudscreens for turning signal lights.
              the holes in front of the tanktrailer are for the ladder,but plastic glueing on white metal issn't a succes,4 attempts failed,the fifht try is drying now

the airhorn belongs in the middle of the roof,but DAF made here a ventilation hatch, so now it's cloose to the middel

best regards Thijs

Comment

at the right side of the truck made a airtank and a toolbox

maybe that i will saw some metal away under the tanktrailer, it's very close to the truckchassis,and shorten the truckchassis at the back for 2 or 3 mm

best regards Thijs

Comment

maybe that i will saw some metal away under the tanktrailer, it's very close to the truckchassis,and shorten the truckchassis at the back for 2 or 3 mm
                  Come on, then - you said that four days ago.
                  Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
                  Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

• janihudi
                    janihudi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yes ,and i did that the next day, just not placed it here.
                    i had digged the corner out were i stack everything up.
                    making inventory of what i have, i don't even know what i have everywhere placed.
                    there are a lot of half finished models, that i want to finish firts.
                    mainly because i said a collageu that i can build amodel of his truck.
                    and that was a20,21,22 years ago.
                    and he is done wirh working over 6 months, so maby time to foish them.
                    the complete model is finished,except the cab that have to be spray painted.(3 colors)

that i havn't finished them (4 models ,3 for myself,2 of my own trucks and 2 of his truck,but 1 model for me), because of the roofspoiler.
                    an odd model, not for sale, and tryed to make it by myself but didn't work.

so clean the whole corner out, looking for the parts (yes again) that i need for the models, and bit by bit i found everything,but stil lloking for the landinglegs of the reefer trailer.

but the table is clean again and all is sorted out.
                    but man o man what i lot of stuff i have.

kits, donor models, parts,even models i forgot i had them and bought those donor models.

but after counting for what i have to build, i'm now at 30 models were i have te goods for.

not mention the loose parts in store

the chassis of the trailer with al the extra parts that had to be cut away

in the red circle, the trailer chassis parts
                  in the bleu circle the material around the kingpin, so the trailer will lowerd down
                  in the yellow circle the backside of the truck chassis, just 2 mm,so its not that close to the trailer

best regards Thijs

Comment

everything gone,but stil some material to be cut away as you see above the 5th wheel

before

after

trailer is more flat now behind the truck
                    best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                    X