Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mercedes benz '' HIGHWAY CRUISER''

#59 is fine, thanks Thijs, except that I don't understand when you say:
    i can block them,and the steering function will blocked automaticly when the gearbox shift in return.
    What do you mean by block? Is it fixing them so that they cannot turn? And when you're in reverse which steering axles are automatically blocked? All except the cab, I assume, so that the two trailers would then make a rigid whole.

Then going back to #58, in your first line you say that most UK trucks are 3 axle. I take it that you're referring to those last 3? But later you say:
    but we are placing that third axle infront of the traction axle (most of the trucks) and making it a steering axle the british made a liftaxle and place it as last axle.
    But you have no. 7 as a steering axle, not no. 5. Ah, now I wonder, your Merc with 7 axles is a special configuration, isn't it? Are the majority of Dutch truck just 6 axles, like the UK ones? So both countries would end up with the same axle configuration for that type of truck, perhaps? Steering on 1,2 and 4?????

The woodyard a few yards from me has deliveries which cause no end of hold-ups in the street. I feel sorry for the driver, for he has to reverse into a narrow opening in a street that is not all that wide and has parking on both sides, though staggered. Very often a parked car is right in the way as he tries to get at right angles to the street before reversing. How he avoids jack-knifing goodness knows. So next time I'll have a good look at his axles and see exactly what they are doing. It's only one trailer, though.
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

oops,havnn't seen your last post Ivy, Sorry.

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post

What do you mean by block? Is it fixing them so that they cannot turn? And when you're in reverse which steering axles are automatically blocked? All except the cab, I assume, so that the two trailers would then make a rigid whole.

we call it ''blokkeren'' blocking, in english it is ,fixing them in the straight way.
      so by getting in reverse the electronics make a switch to the trailer,the electronic valve made a connection to a air valve,thats open the circuit to a cilinder that fixed the steering axle (number 7) in the straight way,meanwhile in the same time axle 4 get fixed in the same way,BUT also get lifted from the road.
      the reason herefor is, there wil be so much friction tothe road that it's hard to steer the trailer around the corner,because he is fixed,while gooing forwarts he is helping the trailer around the corner. (remember the push and pull explanation of a tug??,think about that,but then in a opposit way).
      so yes taxle 4 and 7 are fixed in reverse,the truckaxles will never fixed.but at the trailer nothing happen else,it's stay rigid.

Originally posted by wherrygirl View Post

Then going back to #58, in your first line you say that most UK trucks are 3 axle. I take it that you're referring to those last 3? But later you say: But you have no. 7 as a steering axle, not no. 5. Ah, now I wonder, your Merc with 7 axles is a special configuration, isn't it? Are the majority of Dutch truck just 6 axles, like the UK ones? So both countries would end up with the same axle configuration for that type of truck, perhaps? Steering on 1,2 and 4?????
      i was refering this to a tractor truck.
      we mostly made them as a steer, steer, traction configuration,while england as a steer,traction,liftaxle configuration.
      the most trucks here a 5 axle trucks, 2 at the tractor and 3 at the trailer.
      you may carry then around 50 tons (in Holland)
      with a 6 axle it stays 50 tons (the max for holland),but when a part is unloaded and al the weight is in front of the trailer i will not be overloaded on the truck axle.
      my fourth axle is just to get some weight of the truckaxle when only the frontcontainer is loaded,and i need that axle for driving without the rear part of the chassis.

we pay the roadtaxes over the weight of a truck (loaded) no matters howmany axles we have,but the more axles,the less cargo we can take,because of the truck is weighing more through al the axles,so it's just calculating whats the best.
      in GB is (was) the rule the more axles the less roadtaxes you pay.

it would be nice if cardrivers would think a little bit more over how to park there car,but driving in reverse on/on/at/by our mirrors is easier than on a car mirror.
      our mirrorglasses are more bend then of a car,and now i wil get a lot of complanes.
      but truckdrivers are many times better drivers then cardrivers.
      oof now thats said.

but remember this golden rule Ivy,
      when you are a the backside of a truck,with car,bike or walking,try to make eyecontact in his mirror with the driver,thats the only way that he knows that you are behind him,you two have seen eachother.
      here at schools they learn the kids the same rule,
      you have seen each other,dumbs up .
      counts for kids and driver,but hardly done.
      and yes it happend me to with a girl/lady on a bike .

the ''EILBEK'' drops them of and i picked them op

best regards Thijs

Comment

oops,havnn't seen your last post Ivy, Sorry.
        Well, i stopped crying into my cornflakes because i decided you didn't know the answer.
        Many thanks for the explanation, Thijs. I get it OK.

when you are a the backside of a truck,with car,bike or walking,try to make eyecontact in his mirror with the driver
        Yes, sometimes you see trucks here with a sign on the rear saying "Remember, if you can see me in my mirror, I can see you." It's a good reminder and I act by it.
        Ivy

Comment

a image of the merc, used by the truckpainting company in there advertising broshure.

they only had painted the wheels and place the company name aswel the
          ''HIGHWAY CRUISER'' logo on the cab with sticers
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Maybe it was only stickers, but there's your own logo! Congratulations.
            Ivy

Comment

the whole day working at the merc.
              first picking him up near rotterdam,removing some dashboard panels.
              gooing further with the dashboard table,now the merc. is at home.
              rewireing some electric cables, making a new carpet what is prittier at my feets,and partical stufed.
              tomorrow gooing furter removing the new carpet, dusting, vacuming,shammy???? the whole cab replacing the carpet and stuffing the rest in the cab.
              i need a holiday
              best regards Thijs

Comment

What are you doing rewiring electric cables on a new truck???? And as for the pretty new padded carpet - come on, then, let's see it when it's all done. If it's padded then it will be kinder to your feet, won't it?
                Shammy (neem in Dutch according to Google), used to be called chamois (pronounced shammy as you wrote it) leather, often called wash leather. But it's also often called shammy nowadays.
                My goodness, you're giving it a real go, Thijs, aren't you! Come over and do my little truck when you've finished!
                Last edited by wherrygirl; October 1st, 2011, 22:17.
                Ivy

Comment

i had place electric cables for the rubber duck signs,but at removing fot the holiday a broke them,so had to do it again and because of the michelin dolls (mascottes) onthe table ,ihad to made new cables..

there was a carpet from the factory in it,but that is more a kind of industrial (harder materials) carpet,and black.a lot is black in the cab.

is shammy the same as cleaning the windows and the more?

2 days working at the merc,but it looks better now,but the carpet that was on a rol had to set at the floor,table instaled,it's getting more and more my own looks.

before

dry fitting

best regards Thijs

Comment

best regards Thijs

Comment

the ''industrial black carpet''

my own bleu carpet

Last edited by janihudi; October 2nd, 2011, 19:50.
                      best regards Thijs

Comment

table finished,only painting to do.
                        a job for christmas holiday

best regards Thijs

Comment

the back wall from grey to color

best regards Thijs

Comment

the ducks are lichted up again,the michelin dolls are burning,soft carpet on the floor,clean on the in and outside,ready to go for tomorrow.
                            wish it was christmas,having holiday again

best regards Thijs

Comment

It looks so personalised now! I do like those Michelin Men!

Comment

and not even ready Cecilia,i still have the curtains from the DAF that would be fit for mercedes too.
                                and i want 2 chaircovers like i had them in the DAF,but cost me a 94 euro a piece,it had already cost me a fortune for now.
                                best regards Thijs

Comment

Working...
                                X