No announcement yet.

Mercedes benz '' HIGHWAY CRUISER''

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh Thijs! Yes, I can understand how frustrated you must be, you spend so much time on the Highway Cruiser even without the truckshow. I've been enjoying the many photos of your trucks winding through that beautiful countryside - ok, I know the last few were not your photos, but it was lovely to see the convoy moving together.
    For how long is the log transporting going on? Can you not do one last good clean up just before the show and keep up your presence there - I was looking forward to seeing the pics.
    Go on, re-enter! Wheedle, wheedle, pleeeeease!
    Ivy

"To thine own self be true.......
    Thou canst not then be false to any man."

Comment

i don't know,some drivers which talked with the planner ,they talked about 1500 40ft a year.

nope the half of the chrome/stainless steel is polished,i'm not rushing throught to make it done,besides that,who knowes how late it is wednesday before beeing home and with a clean truck.
      i have closed it for me,over and out.
      best regards Thijs

Comment

Are logs usually hauled by nice trucks like yours? Here in North Carolina logs are hauled in open trailers by old trucks. A rough and wild business. Most log hauling is very local and they use the oldest trucks. I assume the old trucks are not fuel efficient enough for long haul but over short distances with lots of starting and stopping they can still make money.

Comment

• ombugge
          ombugge commented
          Editing a comment
          Thijs is hauling container, which happens to contain logs in this case. The next container may contain ladies apparels or whatever. It makes no difference to the truck, or the trucker.

Why they have the trucks waiting while the logs are put into the containers, in stead of bringing in empty containers and picking up loaded ones in a matter of minutes. That sound more rational and cost effective to me.
          It will require some means of lifting the containers though.

• janihudi
          janihudi commented
          Editing a comment
          '' It makes no difference to the truck, or the trucker.''

no matter what is inside,not for the truck or driver,but though a container is a strong steel box,if you know what is loaded and how fragile it is,you will drive on another way.toilet paper=pedal to the metal,heavy loads or stacked high in the container is a more ''normal'' way of driving

''Why they have the trucks waiting while the logs are put into the containers, in stead of bringing in empty containers and picking up loaded ones in a matter of minutes. That sound more rational and cost effective to me. ''
          It will require some means of lifting the containers though.

in this case it was while 3 of us came into the night,the others in the morning.
          but we couldend pass eachother on the path,otherwise i would make my resting hours complete.
          even when they bring empty containers,you have to load them.
          so you need there;
          A-place fo them
          B-a strong place for the heavy C
          C-a big 33 tons container truck
          D- you got double trips for at least the first and last truck (drop off the first and go flat away,and the last container you have to send a flat truck to get the last container,and you need a extra truck ,a heavy loads truck to bring and pick up the 33 tons container forklift
          E- loading a container takes about 15 till 30 minutes,dipends on what and how long the logs are.
          so the other solution would be that al the timber trucks bringing the logs to the terminal,there is a forklift for it,
          but timbertrucks costst more than a ordinaire containertruck,we making money on the road,those tikbertrucks with a crane make there money by collecting and overloading the logs.

in the way you discripe would cost more.

It certainly is a shame, isn't it, Dane? Thijs always keeps his truck so looking so smart. He put a great deal of work into getting it ready for last year's show and had already done quite a bit towards this year.
        Ivy

Comment

but those trucks drives mostly between the forrest and the lumber yard,or to a place for collecting them all at a tarmac road.
          we stay at the tarmac,don't go into the forrests,and we do the long haul,from west europe to all over the world.

maybe next year again a shiny HC
          best regards Thijs

Comment

Thijs is hauling container, which happens to contain logs in this case. The next container may contain ladies apparels or whatever. It makes no difference to the truck, or the trucker.
            In this case, Ombugge, it makes quite a difference to the truck and to Thijs, who takes pride in its appearance. Taking ladies' apparel to the docks on clean roads is one thing, but this logging job is another. Take a look at the four pics. in #666 and also those in #708. On tarmac, yes, just, but look at it!
            Why did Thijs remark in #720
            this morning i withdrawn the HC and me for the truckshow of may 16th.
            after coming home this morning for the thirth time in a row and with a durty truck,i stop trying to park the HC there clean and polished.
            Ivy

Comment

a dirty HC sunbating at my spottingplace with a young K-Line reefer.

best regards Thijs

Comment

• pilotdane
                pilotdane commented
                Editing a comment
                I can still see a chrome duck between the Michelin men so the dirt does not matter.

• janihudi
                janihudi commented
                Editing a comment
                from time to time i rub a cloth over it,to keep it shiny

Originally posted by janihudi View Post
              a dirty HC sunbating at my spottingplace with a young K-Line reefer.
              I presume you mean the cold type?
              And just look at the state of the HC. Disgusting, I'm surprised at you, Thijs Vink.
              Ivy

Comment

and it's still durty Ivy,even more than last week
                best regards Thijs

Comment

Don't worry, Thijs. You will get it clean again one day - there are more interesting things to do.
                  Ivy

Comment

from 3 weeks back,with a collegeu we had to drive 2 generator containers from Tilburg Holland to Duisburg Germany.
                    everything went well,til Duisburg,we had to wait 2,5 hours for the crane.

best regards Thijs

Comment

and last Friday bad luck,a bolt in a tyre,had to repair it first befor i could go to Vlissingen.

best regards Thijs

Comment

even more bad luck was that this weekend was ''concert at sea'' meaning a big detour because the road was closed,and al other roads there where full with cars.
                        meaning back at the port at the ''maasvlakte'' it was 7,30pm,no driving time anymore and had to stop with 3 minutes left at the truckstop for a diner and sleep.

and at saterday i never set the alarmclock not even when i had to pick up the containers.
                        so made it an easy saterday.pick up containers go to the truckwash,had to wait 1 hour for it's my turn to go in
                        after that i brought the papers at the office stay there for30 minutes,take the tourist road to home,empty the tacho card takes another 10 minutes.end of time that day 0015pm
                        pay me suckerssss,saterday is extra money. 5 hours of work,get payed for 7,5 hours,easy money.

a clean highway cruiser

best regards Thijs

Comment

Thank goodness the truck has at last had a good wash, now the truckie is a happy man.
                          And what photos did you take during those 2.5 hours at Duisberg? None, I bet - too much yackety-yack.
                          Ivy

Comment

• janihudi
                            janihudi commented
                            Editing a comment
                            a few more with the crane,it was on a Industrial estate

We have a BBC radio programme "Any Questions" which is followed the next day by Any Answers where people phone in and email with their comments on the original programme. One of the points raised was, inevitably, the problems over the refugee camps at Calais. One truck driver has now given up international trips because he experienced so much trouble that on occasions was life threatening and he had just had enough. Another truck driver came on the line and spoke of the times when refugees, so desperate to get to England, would gang up on him armed with knives and threaten him if he didn't take them.
                          Your trips are not to any areas where there is a possibility of involvement with refugees, but I wondered how often, because of unexpected delays, you have to just draw in to a layby somewhere and spend the night there. Normally your journeys are such that you can plan for any necessary overnight stops, but with unexpected delays it is different and perhaps you can be a long way from a proper stop. If you are alone in a layby doesn't it ever worry you?
                          Ivy

Comment

• janihudi
                            janihudi commented
                            Editing a comment
                            no not really.
                            we don't have many troubble with the refugees,but they are coming now to Hoek van Holland aswel to try to get to the UK.
                            for refugees we are not intresting,our container dont go to the UK ,but some companies do,and sometimes we drive those aswel,
                            BUT the containers are sealed with a steal seal,and you have to get a big sealcutter (diameter between 5 and 8 mm)
                            if i have to stay in the truck overnight,i try to find a place near a service station,or if posable i park at the highway cruiser (mercedes) garage in Rotterdam.
                            but the most problems we have is with the east European drivers,stealing diesel or parts from your truck,trooing there garbage everywhere they park,shit and pie too there,no money to spent,but taken every parkingplace around Rotterdam and highway.(it's not allowed to park in the port or Rotterdam without paying.disconecting there trailers and park the truck beside it,so there east european collegeu has a place too,when they arrive.they connect there own trailer again when he arrivés.so thanks to them we are almost not welcome anymore in cities and villages.while the highway parkings are totally fill up with east europeans.they stop halfway afternoon,they don't look at time.
                        Working...
                        X